What's new

The Coffee House

Damn, now I want biscuits. Gonna have to wait until I have the kitchen properly set up.

Slowly getting the house together, hosers. Painting is done - well, at least the painting that needed to get done before floors could go in. I still need to do the bathroom, but I can do that after I move in since I'm not doing anything with the bathroom floors. I am also not painting the kitchen just yet. The color is fine and probably in a couple of months, I'll match the color but get it in a semi-gloss instead of the matte finish they put up. It's nice color, but dear lord, does that matte finish suck up all the light! It just looks dull.

We also have the carpets ripped up in the three bedrooms and hallway. The boxes of flooring are in the living room, so we'll do the floors in the bedrooms, then move the rest of the boxes so we can rip up the carpets in the living and dining room and put the floors down.

Even though it's a small house, it's just Buzz and me doing the work, so we probably won't be able to finish it all in one weekend. So it seems I am looking at two more weekends, and then a trip to Ikea and then moving day!

Super exciting! Best advice I got when I bought our fixer upper was to live in it first before making any major changes layout, kitchen or bathroom as you don’t really know what works and what doesn’t until you move in. I’m glad I waited on the kitchen as what we initially planned on doing wasn’t as flexible as our current set up and would have really not worked very well long term.
 
Damn, now I want biscuits. Gonna have to wait until I have the kitchen properly set up.

Slowly getting the house together, hosers. Painting is done - well, at least the painting that needed to get done before floors could go in. I still need to do the bathroom, but I can do that after I move in since I'm not doing anything with the bathroom floors. I am also not painting the kitchen just yet. The color is fine and probably in a couple of months, I'll match the color but get it in a semi-gloss instead of the matte finish they put up. It's nice color, but dear lord, does that matte finish suck up all the light! It just looks dull.

We also have the carpets ripped up in the three bedrooms and hallway. The boxes of flooring are in the living room, so we'll do the floors in the bedrooms, then move the rest of the boxes so we can rip up the carpets in the living and dining room and put the floors down.

Even though it's a small house, it's just Buzz and me doing the work, so we probably won't be able to finish it all in one weekend. So it seems I am looking at two more weekends, and then a trip to Ikea and then moving day!

Super exciting! Best advice I got when I bought our fixer upper was to live in it first before making any major changes layout, kitchen or bathroom as you don’t really know what works and what doesn’t until you move in. I’m glad I waited on the kitchen as what we initially planned on doing wasn’t as flexible as our current set up and would have really not worked very well long term.

Yup, I'm definitely going to wait a little while on the kitchen. I know I am going to want to redo it totally. The washer and dryer are in the kitchen, which is totally fine with me as I am used to this arrangement from Europe. The problem is that she had really large machines, so they take up more space than necessary for one person, especially when there really isn't much counter space. What I'd love to do at some point is replace the machines with small front-loaders and then add counter space above it. The other thing is that she had some sort of free-standing butcher block island thing that's actually pushed up against the wall (kitchen is too small for an island) and it has the only two drawers in the entire kitchen. Next to that is a crappy chipboard tall cabinet that I am planning on moving elsewhere and replacing with a metal cart so I can keep the microwave and toaster over off of the very limited counter space. I'd love to replace that whole thing with permanent cabinets with drawers and a real counter. The kitchen doesn't look terrible and it's certainly functional, but looking at it more closely, it's definitely cobbled together with some half-assed stuff. I just need some time living there to figure out what I want and to save up to pay for it.
 
I just bought a synthesizer. Random!! I confuse myself at times.
 
Damn, now I want biscuits. Gonna have to wait until I have the kitchen properly set up.

Slowly getting the house together, hosers. Painting is done - well, at least the painting that needed to get done before floors could go in. I still need to do the bathroom, but I can do that after I move in since I'm not doing anything with the bathroom floors. I am also not painting the kitchen just yet. The color is fine and probably in a couple of months, I'll match the color but get it in a semi-gloss instead of the matte finish they put up. It's nice color, but dear lord, does that matte finish suck up all the light! It just looks dull.

We also have the carpets ripped up in the three bedrooms and hallway. The boxes of flooring are in the living room, so we'll do the floors in the bedrooms, then move the rest of the boxes so we can rip up the carpets in the living and dining room and put the floors down.

Even though it's a small house, it's just Buzz and me doing the work, so we probably won't be able to finish it all in one weekend. So it seems I am looking at two more weekends, and then a trip to Ikea and then moving day!

Super exciting! Best advice I got when I bought our fixer upper was to live in it first before making any major changes layout, kitchen or bathroom as you don’t really know what works and what doesn’t until you move in. I’m glad I waited on the kitchen as what we initially planned on doing wasn’t as flexible as our current set up and would have really not worked very well long term.

Yup, I'm definitely going to wait a little while on the kitchen. I know I am going to want to redo it totally. The washer and dryer are in the kitchen, which is totally fine with me as I am used to this arrangement from Europe. The problem is that she had really large machines, so they take up more space than necessary for one person, especially when there really isn't much counter space. What I'd love to do at some point is replace the machines with small front-loaders and then add counter space above it. The other thing is that she had some sort of free-standing butcher block island thing that's actually pushed up against the wall (kitchen is too small for an island) and it has the only two drawers in the entire kitchen. Next to that is a crappy chipboard tall cabinet that I am planning on moving elsewhere and replacing with a metal cart so I can keep the microwave and toaster over off of the very limited counter space. I'd love to replace that whole thing with permanent cabinets with drawers and a real counter. The kitchen doesn't look terrible and it's certainly functional, but looking at it more closely, it's definitely cobbled together with some half-assed stuff. I just need some time living there to figure out what I want and to save up to pay for it.
whew! A lot of work done already, so be proud! Once those floors are down, it will look amazing. Exciting times!

I agree on just using the kitchen for awhile and see what works. It's always a process of must-haves vs. okay-with-its. :)
 
@limr, sounds like a lot of work. The upside is you get what you finishes you want.

@Tropicalmemories, building a house is a million little decisions. When we built our house, we had a heated discussion picking out sidelights to the front door. Finally the sales guy told us to drive around and look at houses front doors to see actually doors and not just a brochure.

Yes - so many things to decide. We've not got to windows, lighting or built in furniture yet. :)

How does that work with the new job that has you relocating?

A very good question. While the new job helps to pay for the house build, it also makes it difficult to manage. But we may not be able to get a visa for my partner - so she can continue with managing the build while I'm away.

It's a 2 year fixed term contract, so the plan now is for me to return to Thailand and live in the house in 2 years. Although if she can get a visa, we have a problem, as travelling back is currently not possible due to COVID.

Our original plan was to stay in Thailand where I'd been living and working for 10 years, and move into the house when it's finished, but that changed when I got laid off, as there's no job for me here. I know we're still in a better position than most people these days, but life's a bit complicated now.
 
Damn, now I want biscuits. Gonna have to wait until I have the kitchen properly set up.

Slowly getting the house together, hosers. Painting is done - well, at least the painting that needed to get done before floors could go in. I still need to do the bathroom, but I can do that after I move in since I'm not doing anything with the bathroom floors. I am also not painting the kitchen just yet. The color is fine and probably in a couple of months, I'll match the color but get it in a semi-gloss instead of the matte finish they put up. It's nice color, but dear lord, does that matte finish suck up all the light! It just looks dull.

We also have the carpets ripped up in the three bedrooms and hallway. The boxes of flooring are in the living room, so we'll do the floors in the bedrooms, then move the rest of the boxes so we can rip up the carpets in the living and dining room and put the floors down.

Even though it's a small house, it's just Buzz and me doing the work, so we probably won't be able to finish it all in one weekend. So it seems I am looking at two more weekends, and then a trip to Ikea and then moving day!

Super exciting! Best advice I got when I bought our fixer upper was to live in it first before making any major changes layout, kitchen or bathroom as you don’t really know what works and what doesn’t until you move in. I’m glad I waited on the kitchen as what we initially planned on doing wasn’t as flexible as our current set up and would have really not worked very well long term.

Yup, I'm definitely going to wait a little while on the kitchen. I know I am going to want to redo it totally. The washer and dryer are in the kitchen, which is totally fine with me as I am used to this arrangement from Europe. The problem is that she had really large machines, so they take up more space than necessary for one person, especially when there really isn't much counter space. What I'd love to do at some point is replace the machines with small front-loaders and then add counter space above it. The other thing is that she had some sort of free-standing butcher block island thing that's actually pushed up against the wall (kitchen is too small for an island) and it has the only two drawers in the entire kitchen. Next to that is a crappy chipboard tall cabinet that I am planning on moving elsewhere and replacing with a metal cart so I can keep the microwave and toaster over off of the very limited counter space. I'd love to replace that whole thing with permanent cabinets with drawers and a real counter. The kitchen doesn't look terrible and it's certainly functional, but looking at it more closely, it's definitely cobbled together with some half-assed stuff. I just need some time living there to figure out what I want and to save up to pay for it.

I have a laundry closet in my kitchen with my washer and dryer and I love having it right there. I can’t imagine having to run up and down to the basement for every load. If we took out the laundry closet we could easily open up our kitchen to the living room and have a nice big island with seating but I just can’t give it up. Having a washer and dryer under the counter is actually very interesting idea that I will have to think about. I remodeled my kitchen about 12 years ago so I won’t be doing it again anytime soon.

I am going to be updating the kitchen and the downstairs apartment soon. We were at IKEA the other day and I was looking at the kitchens and I was surprised at how affordable their prices were for their cabinets and countertops. If you’re willing to put them together yourself and can get somebody to do the install for you you can definitely save a lot of money. If it all possible just keep the plumbing where it is and you won’t have to break the bank doing your kitchen over
 
Hey hosers.

Internet is down. They say it will be restored around 11. If it's not, I am going to drive up to the new house to see if I have service there. It's far enough away that I think I will, but I am going to hold off for half an hour to see if it really does get restored while it's still morning. At least it's a quiet day and I am not missing meetings. I have Zoom on my phone so was able to take care of the two one-on-one meetings I had this morning.

Sharon, I have always hated having laundry in a basement, too. Unfinished basements are even worse! So yeah, I love having the machines in the kitchen. In European apartments, they are often incorporated under the counter, just like a dishwasher would be. In Portugal, I had a front loader that was both washer and dryer. I was thinking of getting one for the house, so I would then also have room for a dishwasher, but I found out that those combo machines break a lot more often than dedicated washers and dryers, so I will stick to separate machines for now. I could stack them, but then I lose cabinet space, which I don't want to do until I am able to redo the whole kitchen.
 
Hey hosers.

Internet is down. They say it will be restored around 11. If it's not, I am going to drive up to the new house to see if I have service there. It's far enough away that I think I will, but I am going to hold off for half an hour to see if it really does get restored while it's still morning. At least it's a quiet day and I am not missing meetings. I have Zoom on my phone so was able to take care of the two one-on-one meetings I had this morning.

Sharon, I have always hated having laundry in a basement, too. Unfinished basements are even worse! So yeah, I love having the machines in the kitchen. In European apartments, they are often incorporated under the counter, just like a dishwasher would be. In Portugal, I had a front loader that was both washer and dryer. I was thinking of getting one for the house, so I would then also have room for a dishwasher, but I found out that those combo machines break a lot more often than dedicated washers and dryers, so I will stick to separate machines for now. I could stack them, but then I lose cabinet space, which I don't want to do until I am able to redo the whole kitchen.

I was helping my sister in law research w&d for the apartment downstairs and she considered the combo but in addition to being pricey and not having good longevity, they also take a really long time to dry the clothes - hours. She ended up getting a front loader washer from Kenmore (the local Sears is closing and she got a $1200 unit for $519!) and a dryer from LG. Her choices were limited to smaller units because the hookups are in the furnace room which has a very very small entranceway that can’t be adjusted. But, once past the door, there was enough room to put them side by side or stack so she went with side by side and is going to get one of those shelf units to go over them.

Just a caution on your plan to use a glossy paint instead of a matte finish on the walls. Anything above eggshell, while more “cleanable” and light reflective, tends to show every flaw in the walls/paint when it’s on a big space - especially in a darker color. Make sure you really prep the walls perfectly. We used a “pearl” finish in the kitchen (Benjamin Moore’s version of satin) with a darker blue and I see at least 3 spots where he patched that he’s going to have to come back and fix. I’m debating having him paint all of the walls again in eggshell.
 
I was helping my sister in law research w&d for the apartment downstairs and she considered the combo but in addition to being pricey and not having good longevity, they also take a really long time to dry the clothes - hours. She ended up getting a front loader washer from Kenmore (the local Sears is closing and she got a $1200 unit for $519!) and a dryer from LG. Her choices were limited to smaller units because the hookups are in the furnace room which has a very very small entranceway that can’t be adjusted. But, once past the door, there was enough room to put them side by side or stack so she went with side by side and is going to get one of those shelf units to go over them.

Just a caution on your plan to use a glossy paint instead of a matte finish on the walls. Anything above eggshell, while more “cleanable” and light reflective, tends to show every flaw in the walls/paint when it’s on a big space - especially in a darker color. Make sure you really prep the walls perfectly. We used a “pearl” finish in the kitchen (Benjamin Moore’s version of satin) with a darker blue and I see at least 3 spots where he patched that he’s going to have to come back and fix. I’m debating having him paint all of the walls again in eggshell.

Good point! Most of the kitchen is appliance or cabinets, and the one wall that has a large expanse is mostly covered by the "island," but it's still an older house so I"m sure there will be imperfections. Already found plenty in the other rooms! ;) Part of me doesn't mind - for me, it's part of the charm of an older house. But I still try to reduce it as much as possible.

The color is a sort of medium-to-light greyish green...or greenish grey. In certain lights, you'd swear they used two different colors in the kitchen, but then the light changes and it all looks the same again. So maybe the semi-gloss will be a bit much, but I'll probably still go with a satin finish at least . Just seeing how much more light is being reflected off of the satin finish in the other rooms and how it makes the space feel a bit bigger makes me want to use the satin in the kitchen as well.

Those combo machines really do dry slowly. It doesn't bother me too much because it's just me. If I had to do laundry for a family, it would drive me crazy. As it is, the first couple of loads I did in the machine that came with the house was also really frustrating for the same reason. But it's a full-sized dedicated dryer. I figured it just sucked and I would need to replace it sooner rather than later, but we were looking in the attic this past weekend, and I think what's happening is that the exhaust duct is crushed in one section. We're going to see about fixing that soon, but I still think I will be buying new appliances during the Black Friday sales.
 
Oh, and yes, the new house...which, btw, I have named the Birdhouse...has internet. Woot!
 
I was helping my sister in law research w&d for the apartment downstairs and she considered the combo but in addition to being pricey and not having good longevity, they also take a really long time to dry the clothes - hours. She ended up getting a front loader washer from Kenmore (the local Sears is closing and she got a $1200 unit for $519!) and a dryer from LG. Her choices were limited to smaller units because the hookups are in the furnace room which has a very very small entranceway that can’t be adjusted. But, once past the door, there was enough room to put them side by side or stack so she went with side by side and is going to get one of those shelf units to go over them.

Just a caution on your plan to use a glossy paint instead of a matte finish on the walls. Anything above eggshell, while more “cleanable” and light reflective, tends to show every flaw in the walls/paint when it’s on a big space - especially in a darker color. Make sure you really prep the walls perfectly. We used a “pearl” finish in the kitchen (Benjamin Moore’s version of satin) with a darker blue and I see at least 3 spots where he patched that he’s going to have to come back and fix. I’m debating having him paint all of the walls again in eggshell.

Good point! Most of the kitchen is appliance or cabinets, and the one wall that has a large expanse is mostly covered by the "island," but it's still an older house so I"m sure there will be imperfections. Already found plenty in the other rooms! ;) Part of me doesn't mind - for me, it's part of the charm of an older house. But I still try to reduce it as much as possible.

The color is a sort of medium-to-light greyish green...or greenish grey. In certain lights, you'd swear they used two different colors in the kitchen, but then the light changes and it all looks the same again. So maybe the semi-gloss will be a bit much, but I'll probably still go with a satin finish at least . Just seeing how much more light is being reflected off of the satin finish in the other rooms and how it makes the space feel a bit bigger makes me want to use the satin in the kitchen as well.

Those combo machines really do dry slowly. It doesn't bother me too much because it's just me. If I had to do laundry for a family, it would drive me crazy. As it is, the first couple of loads I did in the machine that came with the house was also really frustrating for the same reason. But it's a full-sized dedicated dryer. I figured it just sucked and I would need to replace it sooner rather than later, but we were looking in the attic this past weekend, and I think what's happening is that the exhaust duct is crushed in one section. We're going to see about fixing that soon, but I still think I will be buying new appliances during the Black Friday sales.

Our dryer vent routinely blocks at the screen at the end and it definitely hurts the dryer performance. The dog hairs help the lint form a wall. It’s vented through the attic so we have to get up on a ladder to clean the vent.
 
I was helping my sister in law research w&d for the apartment downstairs and she considered the combo but in addition to being pricey and not having good longevity, they also take a really long time to dry the clothes - hours. She ended up getting a front loader washer from Kenmore (the local Sears is closing and she got a $1200 unit for $519!) and a dryer from LG. Her choices were limited to smaller units because the hookups are in the furnace room which has a very very small entranceway that can’t be adjusted. But, once past the door, there was enough room to put them side by side or stack so she went with side by side and is going to get one of those shelf units to go over them.

Just a caution on your plan to use a glossy paint instead of a matte finish on the walls. Anything above eggshell, while more “cleanable” and light reflective, tends to show every flaw in the walls/paint when it’s on a big space - especially in a darker color. Make sure you really prep the walls perfectly. We used a “pearl” finish in the kitchen (Benjamin Moore’s version of satin) with a darker blue and I see at least 3 spots where he patched that he’s going to have to come back and fix. I’m debating having him paint all of the walls again in eggshell.

Good point! Most of the kitchen is appliance or cabinets, and the one wall that has a large expanse is mostly covered by the "island," but it's still an older house so I"m sure there will be imperfections. Already found plenty in the other rooms! ;) Part of me doesn't mind - for me, it's part of the charm of an older house. But I still try to reduce it as much as possible.

The color is a sort of medium-to-light greyish green...or greenish grey. In certain lights, you'd swear they used two different colors in the kitchen, but then the light changes and it all looks the same again. So maybe the semi-gloss will be a bit much, but I'll probably still go with a satin finish at least . Just seeing how much more light is being reflected off of the satin finish in the other rooms and how it makes the space feel a bit bigger makes me want to use the satin in the kitchen as well.

Those combo machines really do dry slowly. It doesn't bother me too much because it's just me. If I had to do laundry for a family, it would drive me crazy. As it is, the first couple of loads I did in the machine that came with the house was also really frustrating for the same reason. But it's a full-sized dedicated dryer. I figured it just sucked and I would need to replace it sooner rather than later, but we were looking in the attic this past weekend, and I think what's happening is that the exhaust duct is crushed in one section. We're going to see about fixing that soon, but I still think I will be buying new appliances during the Black Friday sales.

Our dryer vent routinely blocks at the screen at the end and it definitely hurts the dryer performance. The dog hairs help the lint form a wall. It’s vented through the attic so we have to get up on a ladder to clean the vent.

Oh lord, I can already imagine the lint I'm going to have to clean out of the trap once the girls are here! :aiwebs_016:
 
I'm sure the residential model combo units operate more efficiently, but we have one in our RV. the biggest complaints are it doesn't hold much, takes a long time to dry and wrinkles are a problem.
 
I'm sure the residential model combo units operate more efficiently, but we have one in our RV. the biggest complaints are it doesn't hold much, takes a long time to dry and wrinkles are a problem.

I have s combined condenser washer dryer - only good if you are short of space. They can only dry about half the amount of clothes they can wash (mines a 10kg wash but a 7 kg dry) so you need to take out some clothes before drying, or only do small washes. Plus the condenser system uses the water supply for cooling, which wastes water, and in the Tropics the 'cold' feed is still warm - so it takes hours to dry anything. Separate is much better if you have the space.
 
Yes, well, as I mentioned, I'm not planning on buying one, even though it didn't really bother me to do small loads that took a little longer. I wasn't doing laundry for a house full of people, and it's not like I was down at the river, beating clothes against a rock. You press a couple of buttons and ignore it for a couple of hours. Big deal.

I just don't want to deal with more frequent service calls in a few years.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom