What's new

The Coffee House

One room is basically done except for finishing touches.

Before:

FB_IMG_1599518073047.webp



After:

FB_IMG_1599518080032.webp
 
Love the floors! Is that hardwood or the porcelain tiles that look like wood?
 
Love the floors! Is that hardwood or the porcelain tiles that look like wood?

Engineered hardwood. Which means there is a thin layer of real hardwood bonded to a plank of a different kind of wood. So it's all wood, but only the top layer is the fancy wood. This is acacia wood. I am sooooo happy with how it came out. Took us about 5 hours to do the room, so we'll do two more rooms next weekend. At that point, I may move in enough furniture to set up the office and bedroom and start staying there to make it easier to do the rest of the house.
 
Whew! That was a scotch-ah! An hour ago I took a little drive and it was down to 107° and now it's down to a mere 99°. It's supposed to be almost 20 degrees "cooler" tomorrow, fortunately.

Yikes! Take care. I heard on the radio the other day that they now want to name heat waves the way they name hurricanes - the purpose being to increase awareness. I believe they said heat waves kill more people each year than any other type of severe weather.

If they name them with female names..... there will be a whole load more “Hotties”
You can already hear the chat up lines...
 
Love the floors! Is that hardwood or the porcelain tiles that look like wood?

Engineered hardwood. Which means there is a thin layer of real hardwood bonded to a plank of a different kind of wood. So it's all wood, but only the top layer is the fancy wood. This is acacia wood. I am sooooo happy with how it came out. Took us about 5 hours to do the room, so we'll do two more rooms next weekend. At that point, I may move in enough furniture to set up the office and bedroom and start staying there to make it easier to do the rest of the house.
That turned out great! Looks beautiful.

I'm betting that you'll get faster, too. 5 hours isn't bad at all, but the more you get in the groove of a project like this the easier it becomes. Love your choices here.

You must be getting pretty pumped! :clap:
 
LOVE the wood. I made a pen & pencil set out of Acacia back when I had the lathe. I take it that isn't the same corner.

No, it's not the same corner. I got lazy and just snapped a shot from where I was standing when I decided to take an After picture :)

Acacia is gorgeous wood. Too bad you don't have the lathe anymore. Those things are fun. My father had one. Pretty sure my brother took it.

That turned out great! Looks beautiful.

I'm betting that you'll get faster, too. 5 hours isn't bad at all, but the more you get in the groove of a project like this the easier it becomes. Love your choices here.

You must be getting pretty pumped! :clap:

Thanks! I am so excited we're finally at the flooring stage. It means moving day is getting closer :) And yeah, now that we've done one room and know better what we're doing and have also established a workflow, I think it will go more quickly. Buzz starts his classes this week, and he starts getting crashy in the evenings whereas I start getting more energy, so usually during the week, I will head up to the house after work and keep working, so I'll prep the floors in the two other bedrooms and do some other detail work, and we figure both rooms and maybe the hallway will be done over the weekend.
 
I'll get another lathe once we leave this apartment, though I'll probably get a smaller one. I want to learn to turn bowls, this time.

I got where I could do various kits: pen & pencil sets, tree ornaments, a dinner bell, even a couple of these for a Harry Potter event for the kids at the bookstore. 15", 5-1/4" handle; maple and mahogany.





 
I'll get another lathe once we leave this apartment, though I'll probably get a smaller one. I want to learn to turn bowls, this time.

I got where I could do various kits: pen & pencil sets, tree ornaments, a dinner bell, even a couple of these for a Harry Potter event for the kids at the bookstore. 15", 5-1/4" handle; maple and mahogany.






Gorgeous work, Charlie bear!
 
Expellioramus!
 
Thanks, guys.
 
Is it Charlie, or Ollivander?
 
I think Ollivander was only the shop keeper; I don't think anyone knows who really made the wands.
 
I think Ollivander was only the shop keeper; I don't think anyone knows who really made the wands.

Nah, he was the wand maker, too. You have to take credit! :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom