The Coffee House

Morning all and happy weekend! We had some snow here yesterday!! We went from 70s last weekend to snow and sleet this weekend. Remind me please, Why do I live in New England?

oh yeah...

FDCE6281-3FBA-4F56-8B28-1AB88862836D.jpeg

Beautiful pic - the pup is loving life there! ❤

It's gotten cooler here, as well. No snow, though! Spring in the Southeast US can be gloriously long and leisurely. As bad as 2020 was, I do know we had terrific weather. A drought last year might have sent me over the edge. :icon_crazy:

My potted tomatoes out on the deck have doubled in size already, and full of fruit and flowers. Very exciting.

The screened in porch is always a pita - gets filthy over the winter, then covered with pollen. Hubby scrubbed the mold off the ceiling yesterday. Next is a rinse of the screens and rails. Then the floorboards.

Then - and only then - do I get to start buying my annuals, and more herbs. Can't wait! :boogie:

Hi all
Peg stunning pic
It’s nice here today, sun is out and it’s warm. I have started to Plant the raised planters
I even bought flowers, normally Mrs would get the plants or tell me what she wanted
I have no idea what the flowers are, they just look nice.
All the plants Mrs planted last year are hidden by blue bells

In the category "Should Have Known Better". One of the younger members of our FD contacted me about doing some promotional shots for him (he has a DJ business). Even though he would have paid, I offered to do them for TFP, because I could use some additions to my portfolio and thought he was a friend. We set up the time for yesterday afternoon in studio. It normally takes me 45mins to an hour to set up the studio depending on the lighting, but when he contacted me Sunday morning to confirm that he would be here, but a little later, my intuition kicked in. Thankfully I didn't waste my time with a full set up, as the guy never showed, never called..... nothing. Like I said "should have known better", to often friends and even family, seem to take a lackadaisical attitude when you do something for them without charge, but then get "P****d" if you charge them. I'm getting the point of just saying sorry I'm busy.:BangHead:

In the category "Should Have Known Better". One of the younger members of our FD contacted me about doing some promotional shots for him (he has a DJ business). Even though he would have paid, I offered to do them for TFP, because I could use some additions to my portfolio and thought he was a friend. We set up the time for yesterday afternoon in studio. It normally takes me 45mins to an hour to set up the studio depending on the lighting, but when he contacted me Sunday morning to confirm that he would be here, but a little later, my intuition kicked in. Thankfully I didn't waste my time with a full set up, as the guy never showed, never called..... nothing. Like I said "should have known better", to often friends and even family, seem to take a lackadaisical attitude when you do something for them without charge, but then get "P****d" if you charge them. I'm getting the point of just saying sorry I'm busy.:BangHead:

That’s incredibly rude of him. At least he could have made a courtesy call to say hey I know I suck but I’m blowing you off due to some lame made up reason. Not many excuses I would accept for a no call/no show. Most involve hospital stays or worse.

That’s incredibly rude of him. At least he could have made a courtesy call to say hey I know I suck but I’m blowing you off due to some lame made up reason. Not many excuses I would accept for a no call/no show. Most involve hospital stays or worse

It seems to happen more and more, maybe it's a generation thing?????? Hospital or other issues weren't the problem, because he was posting on FB. :confusion: Like I said it's become a situation where I hear certain things, my intuition kicks in, letting me make preemptive changes, so I don't let it bother me much. Unless I've made special arrangements on the time, or missed other engagements because of it. Then I'll unload on them.

That’s incredibly rude of him. At least he could have made a courtesy call to say hey I know I suck but I’m blowing you off due to some lame made up reason. Not many excuses I would accept for a no call/no show. Most involve hospital stays or worse

It seems to happen more and more, maybe it's a generation thing?????? Hospital or other issues weren't the problem, because he was posting on FB. :confusion: Like I said it's become a situation where I hear certain things, my intuition kicks in, letting me make preemptive changes, so I don't let it bother me much. Unless I've made special arrangements on the time, or missed other engagements because of it. Then I'll unload on them.
Are you going to ask? "Saw you on FB while I was getting ready to set up the studio....." might be in order.

Why should you not make him squirm - even a little bit - for being so thoughtless, inconsiderate, and rude? ;)

Oh, I get the notion to just let things ride. But it annoyed you enough to vent here. He contacted you; you weren't begging for a gig - and you were being gracious with your time. You may be thinking, "If I'd asked him to pay, even a down payment in advance, he might have taken me more seriously." And you might be right!

I made the same mistake once. A friend was getting married, and in Asia the custom is to have a 'pre-wedding' photoshoot in a local beauty spot so you can have some nice prints on display at the wedding. Often the bride will wear her dress, or some other special clothes.

I asked about their plans for the pre-wedding shoot, but they said money was tight, so they are not doing one. I offered to do it for them, thinking if they are not getting a professional photographer anyway - my amateur shots may be appreciated. I'm a keen portrait shooter, have a selection of off-camera flashes and lights and some decent prime lenses, and I also knew a nice park with good light around the 'golden hour's.

I lugged the gear in the 100'F heat into the park (no cars allowed), took some test shots of my 'assistant' and waited. The couple eventually turned up, casually dressed and looking like it was a chore. They acted like they were doing me a favour. I was pleased with the results, and my assistant helped with pose suggestions and tried valiantly to improve their mood during the shoot.

I had the best of the shots printed, with some large prints for the day.

Never had any feedback on the images, none were used on the day.

Perhaps they felt obliged to turn up and thought I just wanted to play with my gear .... but I had better things to do that day, and was only trying to help. Now I stick to photos of my partner, who at least appreciate the results.

May post some of the pre-wedding shots here, so at least they see the light of day?

But what I did learn is that being a pro must be tough ..... I was exhausted after the session!

Oh, I get the notion to just let things ride. But it annoyed you enough to vent here. He contacted you; you weren't begging for a gig - and you were being gracious with your time. You may be thinking, "If I'd asked him to pay, even a down payment in advance, he might have taken me more seriously." And you might be right!

I've become more mellow about letting things upset me and don't feel the need to "chase after" someone to tell them off, but my memory is still good. The next time I'm at the fire hall, and I see him all bets are off. Doing it in front of his peers, will be a better learning experience for him.

Last edited:
... or send him an invoice for your time.

Smoke
I don’t know if it’s a Gen thing . I have a sister mid 50s who does the same thing or only hears what she wants to hear
Her phone is “always on” but never answers
She was meant to come over Sat, I gave up waiting at 3pm and went out
Seems to be a sign of the times

Rain, rain, and more rain today! Can't seem to get through this crazy front, hosers.

I'm glad I was too busy to get more herbs and an extra jalapeño plant into the ground. Poor little things would likely have drowned in all this!

Supposed to be sunny and a nice warmup after all this. Hubby has finished washing the screened in porch, and I'm ready to get it decked out for the summer. :icon_sunny:

Most reactions

Back