The Coffee House

wrecked my car. lady pulled out right in front of me trying to make an illegal turn.
totaled the car. going to miss my shift tomorrow. hopefully won't miss any work past that.
hitting another car, then the sidewalk, then a fire hydrant isn't much fun, especially when you have to pull yourself out through a window opposite you.
hurt like hell.
Medic in me kicked in though and I got the other driver out of their car before I even realized what was hurting on me.
EMS arrived in the middle of me doing a trauma assessment and took over. It's weird being on the other end of the accident.
Yikes! Glad you are ok! You'll be sore tomorrow.

Unfortunately, that is all to common with HEAVY use of the computer.

In the early days, it was "Mac elbow" from overuse of the mouse.

I switched to a Logitech trackball, so I use my thumb, instead of my index finger.
But then I overuse my index and middle finger turning the ball.
I really should do as my doc told me, LAY OFF THE COMPUTER for a while, and let your muscles rest and recover.

Ice to bring down the swelling, then heat to relax the muscles.

BTW, the other reason I use a Logitech trackball is, it is symetric, so I can use my left hand.
It takes a LOT of practice/training to get the left hand working, but it really reduces the workload on the right hand.
In the office it was funny. When I reconfigure for left hand, if anyone tries to use my computer, they went nuts. They don't know how to use a left-hand trackball.

I was doing some research on how to keep my brain in shape after my uncle was diagnosed with dementia. One of the recommendations is to do small/easy tasks with your non dominant hand. This forces your brain to work out.

For the record - some of the other things you can do to keep your brain young:

dance! random dancing, where you have to make up your moves as you go along is a good brain workout

any exercise that gets your heart rate going will help blood flow to your brain

watch a funny movie - laughter stimulates the brain

What is the worst thing you can do to your body and your brain? Stress. Chronic stress is deadly. Take care of yourselves! PSA over.

Prom! Or as we old folks refer to it..."the Prom". Princess is on the far left in the light green.

Prom by SharonCat..., on Flickr

wrecked my car. lady pulled out right in front of me trying to make an illegal turn.
totaled the car. going to miss my shift tomorrow. hopefully won't miss any work past that.
hitting another car, then the sidewalk, then a fire hydrant isn't much fun, especially when you have to pull yourself out through a window opposite you.
hurt like hell.
Medic in me kicked in though and I got the other driver out of their car before I even realized what was hurting on me.
EMS arrived in the middle of me doing a trauma assessment and took over. It's weird being on the other end of the accident.

Damn, glad you're all right! Sorry about the car. I've had a car totaled and it sucks. Granted, it was an older car and not worth much so it didn't take a bad accident to total it, but it still sucks.

Funny story about that. It was in grad school in Pittsburgh and I was ironically on my way to the chiropractor's office. The other woman hit me and it was totally her fault, but her insurance company was fighting it. I got money for the car but not my deductible for as long as the dispute was still active. I totally forgot about it after a while. About 3 years later, I got a letter from the insurance company saying they won the dispute and I could claim my $250 deductible. I was glad but was already living in another state and getting ready to move overseas. I forgot about it again.

Maybe 4 years ago, I randomly saw something about websites that checked if you had unclaimed funds lying around somewhere. I was curious so I looked it up. I found nothing, but then remembered that this all happened in Pennsylvania, so I checked their website and lo and behold! There was $250 in my name, just waiting to be claimed.

And so 20 years after the accident, I finally got my deductible back :)

hurt like hell.
Well, that sucks to hear - glad you're okay. Kinda funny about the medic in you kicking in and taking over the situation, but that's how you're trained, right?

I hope the medics were good to you! Take it easy now. :)

Prom! Or as we old folks refer to it..."the Prom"
Yeah, what's up with that, anyway? PROM. Not, "I'm going to THE prom." I don't like it - kinda like using the word "jail," isn't it? One doesn't say, "Going to THE jail."

A campaign should be started to re-insert the THE. :icon_mrgreen:

Regardless, Princess looks beautiful! Gorgeous dress.

Prom! Or as we old folks refer to it..."the Prom". Princess is on the far left in the light green.

Prom by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Glad your daughter got her prom.

Last year, my high school shut down before the prom, so no prom.
This year, with loosened restrictions, they had a "Senior Gala," instead of a prom. But that was seniors only, no guests, and outside in the school courtyard. Not the same, but it was something.

Glad your daughter got her prom.

Last year, my high school shut down before the prom, so no prom.
This year, with loosened restrictions, they had a "Senior Gala," instead of a prom. But that was seniors only, no guests, and outside in the school courtyard. Not the same, but it was something.
Similar for her school. No outside guests, not even from the junior class so a lot of the kids went stag. Instead of the country club it was held on the football field under a tent. It was different that’s for sure. But better than no prom at all. They had good weather and thankfully no mask required! Graduation is tomorrow night! Fingers crossed for more good weather.

Well, that sucks to hear - glad you're okay. Kinda funny about the medic in you kicking in and taking over the situation, but that's how you're trained, right?

I hope the medics were good to you! Take it easy now. :)
The local EMS crew was good. I basically just told them I would sign a refusal and go.

Pix: sorry to hear the wheels are shot, but glad you’re OK.
Leonore: Maryland’s comptroller publishes a list like that every year.
Sharon: Glad Princess got Prom and I agree with Terri - very pretty young lady and very pretty dress (though it looks light blue on the pad).

Sorry to hear about the accident PixMedic and glad it wasn't worse. (I agree Terri, the training just kicks in, I've had that working with kids, just do whatever and think about it later).

Princess does look lovely. And it's - 'the' prom, what, are we in England?? (Like they say, 'hospital', not 'the ___'). Way to go Leo, nothing like taking your good ol' time! lol

And not that there's a good time to say this, and I don't think I did yet, but my mom passed away recently. Rather sudden, even though she was getting up there in years and had moved from independent to assisted living. Mostly she was getting more unsteady and had started therapy for that and her hip/back hurting, etc.

I suppose it's better than a health situation that drags on. She got sick to her stomach and there was a little blood so the Dr. there ordered lab work. Later they called that she went to the hospital and was admitted for observation. They expected she'd be released the next day and I got a call early morning. Our family Dr. said it was probably a blockage due to plaque in the arteries, which is consistent with other symptoms before.

She'd said to me recently 'I'm 89!!' I was like, yeah, I know! like what are ya telling me for?! lol So we'd had a good laugh about that.

And not that there's a good time to say this, and I don't think I did yet, but my mom passed away recently. Rather sudden, even though she was getting up there in years and had moved from independent to assisted living. Mostly she was getting more unsteady and had started therapy for that and her hip/back hurting, etc.

I suppose it's better than a health situation that drags on. She got sick to her stomach and there was a little blood so the Dr. there ordered lab work. Later they called that she went to the hospital and was admitted for observation. They expected she'd be released the next day and I got a call early morning. Our family Dr. said it was probably a blockage due to plaque in the arteries, which is consistent with other symptoms before.

She'd said to me recently 'I'm 89!!' I was like, yeah, I know! like what are ya telling me for?! lol So we'd had a good laugh about that.

I'm so sorry, Sharon :icon_hug:

So very sorry Sharon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back