What's new

The Coffee House

Hosers.

Felt quite fragile today.

We were called back to work full time on Aug 1st, which also coincided with blackout dates for our period of 'mass registration.' My commute is about 45-60 minutes depending on traffic. After a year and a half of 100% remote and then another year of only 2-3 days on campus, I am starting to get used to a 5-day commute again, but it still sucks rocks.

It was super busy all month long, but this week has been insane. We counselors work 9-hour days (in exchange for many many many vacation days - we just can't take any of those days off until Sept 10 when add/drop is done) and I haven't had a proper lunch break for 2 weeks. There are just SO MANY PEOPLE coming in at the very last minute and then get all pissy when they are forced into a crappy class schedule, or can't figure out their email, or blah blah f*****g blah.

So I was already frazzled as hell when I left for work this morning, and I was happy that traffic was really really light, and it was Friday, just one more day...and then I killed a little squirrel that ran out into the highway too late for me to do anything to avoid it. I burst into tears and weeped uncontrollably for a full 20 minutes. At some point, I had to acknowledge that it wasn't entirely about the squirrel anymore, and that I probably had been holding onto more stress than I realized.

I had a good venting session with my team and felt a little better, and somehow got through the day, though I still want to cry when I think of the squirrel 😥

In other news, I am getting an emotional support fish for my office this weekend.
Ugh so sorry for your work stress! You’d think that since it has been proven that you can do your work remotely that they would consider some work/life balance and give you a few remote days a week.

I’m sure your college is inundated this year as most seem to be! Princess’s school got a record number of applications this year, and subsequently got more commits than they can handle. They are having a housing crisis and are forcing triples and quads into rooms meant for two. Princess lucked out and is in a 3 br apartment across the street from campus with her chosen 5 roommates. It’s huge and has ac, w&d, dw and there is a pool and gym on site. A bit less supervised than I would like but she’s a responsible kid and her roommates are good students…

As for me, I’ve been working on my garden - built a fountain yesterday (pics coming soon)!

Well it’s Monday so back to work. I hope you’ve all been well.
 
About 4:00 AM Zoe decided to lay down on the side of the bed with her front paws on my night stand, so she's adjusting to the house pretty well. The (rest of the) windows have been delivered, but we'll keep the end of September for installation. MLW just sent me information on a Fried Chicken festival in NOLA (October) - something to think about for next year.
 
I am wondering what became of K9Kirk. He hasn't posted in a month or so, I hope all is well with him.
 
In the same vein, I've been wondering about Old hippy - Ed. It's been months. Anyone follow him on FB/other social media? Sometimes folks get too busy with other things in their lives and photography can take a back seat, but they still might post elsewhere.
 
Hi all, I will be here more often soon. The summer is on its way out and the colder days are on their way. This means more time with the camera indoors doing photo projects... I hope.
 
First day off of a 5 day weekend for me… Very productive and fun day! Got the garden squared away in the morning, errands and shopping for company coming tomorrow, had a puppy play date for Harlie, helped my cousin with a computer issue, chilled on the deck with a nice cold beverage and now I’m catching up on TPF!

I’m having some friends over tomorrow afternoon and then I have a party to attend on Sunday and plans to go hiking if it doesn’t rain on Monday. Thank goodness I took Tuesday off or I’d be feeling stressed by all these plans. I like to socialize but I also don’t like to have my weekend too full. I want to be able to relax or just jump in the car if the mood strikes.
 
Three days for us. We're planning on working around the house, trying to clear one room and a couple areas in the basement so the windows can get installed at the end of the month. I want to swing by what the kids called DTRU (Daddy's Toys R Us - the woodworking store) to look at some cabinet knobs / handles, and measure a bandsaw and a couple lathes for future reference.
 
hi all,
seeing Snowbear's post above I have just looked into the local Mens Shed group here. It looks promising.
As for the photography, well nothing yet, although I saw the challenge round... um sound of brain cells bumping...
 
Well, we finally finished up the kitchen - temporary floor tiles by me, painting (lower half) by MLW. We've taken down the baby gate so Zoe can go in and explore. She's allowed to go down the steps, but not into the basement until that is cleared and cleaned. I'll move her food and water dishes in there tomorrow or Wednesday, after she's gotten used to the room. We ended up not going anywhere, so maybe next weekend.
 
Last edited:
A little dachshund has been in our area yesterday. He was spotted on our porch in the afternoon. A few of us on our street where out trying to catch him last night. Since he or she liked our porch, we put out food, water and dog bed last night. Found him sleeping on the bed in the morning. Of course he ran off when we went outside. The local resource officer brought out a small trap. The little guy has been running around the other side of the town since last week. Guess he/she is a local on the run celebrity.

The pup came back and the trap is too small. So, got a giant one from the humane society. Hopefully the pup will show up tonight. The humane society will hand the pup off to a rescue. The rescue won't take pups directly.

My husband posted on the local lost dog and local FB pages. This little pup has been around town!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom