The Coffee House

Whew!! You two make me remember those Georgia summers, and not in a good way. It's always about the humidity in the south.

The only pleasant time to get outdoors stuff done is first thing in the morning. When that humidity starts to rise, it's kinda over by 11am!

Oh, Leo!! Or anyone else interested in rock 'n roll for that matter...

I watched some of the huge Glastonbury festival in the UK (a PITA to get online here). There are 4 main stages with many well-known performers - Pyramid, Other Stage, Park, and West Holts (and umpteen other stages with bands I've mostly never heard of).

There are always surprise performers. This year the Foo Fighters showed up as The Churn Ups (which was apparently not that much of a surprise by the time they took the stage).

But what I wanted Leo to know was that Rick Astley did a surprise hour or so of all songs by - The Smiths!! (He also did another scheduled set of his own music.) There's at least one song on BBC's YouTube channel.

And Johnny Marr played with The Pretenders (also a clip on YouTube I'll get back on and post later).

The crowd goes nuts for well, just about everything! but when they saw Chrissie Hynde practically drag Paul McCartney out on stage...
I don't think he performed with any of the bands but was seen backstage a number of times. He headlined last year and had Bruce Springsteen as his surprise guest. (MTV Live showed parts of the festival during the pandemic which is where I first saw it, but I don't think they do anymore.)

And Elton John, was his show fantastic to watch live!! with a beautiful sunset in the background. I read there were 100,000+ people to see him perform, and instead of the usual blankets, lawn chairs, etc. it was SRO. He had a couple of guests that to me were unknown, as well as the lead singer of The Killers (who seemed to just be having so much fun singing with him).

The BBC televised it live and they have clips of performances on their YouTube channel.

Oh, Leo!! Or anyone else interested in rock 'n roll for that matter...

I watched some of the huge Glastonbury festival in the UK (a PITA to get online here). There are 4 main stages with many well-known performers - Pyramid, Other Stage, Park, and West Holts (and umpteen other stages with bands I've mostly never heard of).

There are always surprise performers. This year the Foo Fighters showed up as The Churn Ups (which was apparently not that much of a surprise by the time they took the stage).

But what I wanted Leo to know was that Rick Astley did a surprise hour or so of all songs by - The Smiths!! (He also did another scheduled set of his own music.) There's at least one song on BBC's YouTube channel.

And Johnny Marr played with The Pretenders (also a clip on YouTube I'll get back on and post later).

The crowd goes nuts for well, just about everything! but when they saw Chrissie Hynde practically drag Paul McCartney out on stage...
I don't think he performed with any of the bands but was seen backstage a number of times. He headlined last year and had Bruce Springsteen as his surprise guest. (MTV Live showed parts of the festival during the pandemic which is where I first saw it, but I don't think they do anymore.)

And Elton John, was his show fantastic to watch live!! with a beautiful sunset in the background. I read there were 100,000+ people to see him perform, and instead of the usual blankets, lawn chairs, etc. it was SRO. He had a couple of guests that to me were unknown, as well as the lead singer of The Killers (who seemed to just be having so much fun singing with him).

The BBC televised it live and they have clips of performances on their YouTube channel.
Wonderful lineup! That sounds like a blast!

I'm trying to find more info on the status of the Quebec wildfires. The articles have only fixated on the poor air quality and the drift of the smoke across the Atlantic, reaching Portugal.

All very interesting, but . ..status of the fires? How contained are they today? Who is helping?

I'm trying to find more info on the status of the Quebec wildfires. The articles have only fixated on the poor air quality and the drift of the smoke across the Atlantic, reaching Portugal.

All very interesting, but . ..status of the fires? How contained are they today? Who is helping?
I've used this site to track events around the planet. It is a service of the Hungarian National Association of Radio Distress-Signalling and Infocommunications, and they track all sorts of fascinating things around the globe. The map will show the locations of any event that you can think of, from fires to tsunamis to earthquakes and volcanoes. Zooming on the map, you can see the wildfire events in Canada. Not 100% information, but it may provide some of what you are looking for. For more direct information, you can go to the Canadian Wildland Fire Information System website. As with most things on the WWW, make sure you have up to date AV software to be on the safe side. Both sites are safe, but ya never know.

Whew!! You two make me remember those Georgia summers, and not in a good way. It's always about the humidity in the south.

The only pleasant time to get outdoors stuff done is first thing in the morning. When that humidity starts to rise, it's kinda over by 11am!
We're in that humidity cycle where it start out in the 90% range, and gradually decreases as the sun comes out and bakes it off.

It’s been nasty humid here for a while. Some of the humid days have been in the 80’s and some have been in the 60’s. Proving to one and all that it’s not the heat, it’s the humidity.

Some of the Canada smoke drifted here and it looked like fog. Staying in until it clears up. We got our 2nd shingles shot Monday. Felt fine all day and then that night it hit hard. I was freezing with 4 blankets and uncontrollable trembling. After Motrin and a few hours later it subsided, but it was frightening. I was thinking that this is the way I'll go??? Husband had only body aches the next day. My uncle suffered with bouts of shingles for years and I wouldn't want that. His was very painful.

@CherylL DW has been hounding me to get a shingles shot......I'm going to show her this. LOL I had a bad case of them in my 60's. Went from the center line of the front to the center line of the back, from the waist to the arm pit. Felt like something was slowly ripping the skin off my body all the way around, then it would reverse and go back. For the first two weeks, I thought I was dying, the second weeks I was hoping I'd die quick, and by the third two weeks I had to keep an eye on DW for fear she might help me over the edge. While the slightest puff of air would bring on pain, pressure on the area relieved it. I had myself wrapped with an ace bandage and pillows propped behind mya back and side.

I got both of my shingles shots after one of my co-workers who is about the same age as I am came down with shingles. He said, "Jeff, get the shot... the minor inconvenience for a day or two is nothing compared to the hell I went through."

Some of the Canada smoke drifted here and it looked like fog. Staying in until it clears up. We got our 2nd shingles shot Monday. Felt fine all day and then that night it hit hard. I was freezing with 4 blankets and uncontrollable trembling. After Motrin and a few hours later it subsided, but it was frightening. I was thinking that this is the way I'll go??? Husband had only body aches the next day. My uncle suffered with bouts of shingles for years and I wouldn't want that. His was very painful.
Good lord, that sounds bad! I had no idea those shots could cause such a reaction. :icon_eek:

Closest thing I can think of is the last Covid booster I had - it was Moderna, while my first rounds had all been Pfizer, and I woke up with the shakes like that.

Of course the shingles virus sounds worse, so there you are.

I have been putting off the shingles vax because of the side effects I’m still dealing with from the Covid vax. I don’t want to risk making them worse. My dr suggested I hold off on any type of vax this year to give my immune response a chance to calm diwn.

@CherylL DW has been hounding me to get a shingles shot......I'm going to show her this. LOL I had a bad case of them in my 60's. Went from the center line of the front to the center line of the back, from the waist to the arm pit. Felt like something was slowly ripping the skin off my body all the way around, then it would reverse and go back. For the first two weeks, I thought I was dying, the second weeks I was hoping I'd die quick, and by the third two weeks I had to keep an eye on DW for fear she might help me over the edge. While the slightest puff of air would bring on pain, pressure on the area relieved it. I had myself wrapped with an ace bandage and pillows propped behind mya back and side.
Yep, shingles are hell! My Uncle suffered many flare ups.

I got both of my shingles shots after one of my co-workers who is about the same age as I am came down with shingles. He said, "Jeff, get the shot... the minor inconvenience for a day or two is nothing compared to the hell I went through."
After seeing the pain my Uncle endured is why I got the shot.

Most reactions

Back