What's new

The Coffee House

In spite of the power outages and other obstacles this week I managed to rack the last of the fig wine from the 2022 crop. This might be my best batch yet. Judging by how loaded our little tree is now, I should have a freezer full of frozen fig base for more.
20230721_151903.webp
 
@SquarePeg I've been limited on capacity and each batch takes on the order of 5 weeks to bottle. Then "technically" its supposed to age for a year. That's the hardest part.....good quality control involves taking samples. 😉
 
Good morning, hosers.
When we got home from work, yesterday, I put together the fourth outside dining chair. We're going to hold off on the last two until we get the patio umbrella in a better location. We have to "test fit" first, since it has 180 pounds of sand as ballast.

I grilled hamsteak and reheated "Street Corn" (from Cheesecake Factory) while MLW made some mashed potatoes. It was a bit cooler (though still humid) so we ate at the new patio dining set. Next weekend is supposed to be HH&H (hazy, hot and humid) again so we'll stay inside. MLSIL already said she wasn't coming down.

I have an old Jeep grille that will b mounted on the wall near the bar when we refinish the basement. While I was getting ready to start dinner, I knocked it over, Unfortunately it hit my already bad shin and made a really nice scrape. luckilly it was the front, rounded side, and not the sharper back.
 
Unfortunately it hit my already bad shin and made a really nice scrape. luckilly it was the front, rounded side, and not the sharper back.
You're lucky - I agree, that could have been a nasty cut from that grille! It's going to look awesome on the wall, though.

I'm cranky this morning, hosers. :grumpy: Last night, we made our regular vegetarian burritos with tomatoes, onions, avocado and refried beans - delicious! But somehow I still managed to chip a front lower tooth. Called the dentist this morning, first thing, but can't get in until Thursday at 5pm. Grrr.... I'm trying really hard not to worry the area, and it doesn't hurt at all - but I'm going to scrape my tongue raw going over the jagged edge. :lol: Stop that! Gah!! With any luck there will be a cancellation and I can get on the other side of it sooner.
 
You're lucky - I agree, that could have been a nasty cut from that grille! It's going to look awesome on the wall, though.

I'm cranky this morning, hosers. :grumpy: Last night, we made our regular vegetarian burritos with tomatoes, onions, avocado and refried beans - delicious! But somehow I still managed to chip a front lower tooth. Called the dentist this morning, first thing, but can't get in until Thursday at 5pm. Grrr.... I'm trying really hard not to worry the area, and it doesn't hurt at all - but I'm going to scrape my tongue raw going over the jagged edge. :lol: Stop that! Gah!! With any luck there will be a cancellation and I can get on the other side of it sooner.
Ugh! I did something similar with one of my upper front teeth. The "filling" has broken off twice now, I think because the edge is too narrow, so it doesn't have enough support. No pain, but that constant running the tongue over the rough edge thing. I'll let the dentist try one more time with a filling, and if that doesn't work, then we'll cap it and call it a day.
 
@snowbear I find the older I get the more careless I become. 😁

@terri a chipped tooth will drive me crazy also.
 
You're lucky - I agree, that could have been a nasty cut from that grille! It's going to look awesome on the wall, though.

I'm cranky this morning, hosers. :grumpy: Last night, we made our regular vegetarian burritos with tomatoes, onions, avocado and refried beans - delicious! But somehow I still managed to chip a front lower tooth. Called the dentist this morning, first thing, but can't get in until Thursday at 5pm. Grrr.... I'm trying really hard not to worry the area, and it doesn't hurt at all - but I'm going to scrape my tongue raw going over the jagged edge. :lol: Stop that! Gah!! With any luck there will be a cancellation and I can get on the other side of it sooner.
Hope you can get it fixed soon.
 
We had a week plus of semi cooler weather. Got in a few evening walks. Now back to hot and the next few days 100+. Went up the Great River Road this morning and had fish from a local stand. The one we usually go to has seating, but it is mostly sun and no breeze. We tried a different place that is closer to the river. It had a nice breeze, but not as good fish as the other place. They over fried the hushpuppies.
 
They over fried the hushpuppies.
Inexcusable! ;)

Hushpuppies can be so good when the cook knows what they're doing. Getting a hard, over fried little ball of dough is not a hushpuppy!

Our temps have been fine, but the addition of humidity and the return of the smoke from the Canadian wildfires has made it unpleasant out there. Supposed to lift up later tonight.
 
Rain. Make that lotsa rain. Should be nicely semi-tropical for the week. Mosquitos add to the "Heart of Darkness" vibe. At least cheap Czech lager is on sale at The Beer Store--our provincially-run suds source.
Very happy with our DIY spuds experiment in gro-bags.
 
not as good fish as the other place. They over fried the hushpuppies.
Take them out back and ______ them! I've been a number of places that can't properly fry things: overcooked, undercooked or greasy (oil not hot enough).

Zoe is being good enough to share her ottoman with me so I can elevate the bad leg.
 
Rain and storms give us a break, the temperature goes up and the air quality goes down. We can't win. Went to the Lake to get some relief, but it's hot here. The breeze that's usually coming in over the water isn't to be found. We're fortunate to have a couple of large shade trees that help.
 
Inexcusable! ;)

Hushpuppies can be so good when the cook knows what they're doing. Getting a hard, over fried little ball of dough is not a hushpuppy!

Our temps have been fine, but the addition of humidity and the return of the smoke from the Canadian wildfires has made it unpleasant out there. Supposed to lift up later tonight.
Yes inexcusable! The other place has the best hushpuppies. These tasted like they were fried prior and then thrown back in the fryer to reheat. Only could eat 3. I was thinking maybe the first one was bad, the second one was bad, and tried the 3rd. Threw the rest in the trash.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom