What's new

The Coffee House

Meh! I need to pay more attention when I order stuff. Do you know how much 16 oz of lavender flowers and 16 oz of chamomile flowers is? 🤣

Yeah, you're pretty much set for a while ;) Is this dried lavender and chamomile, like for tea? If you are a gin drinker, you can infuse the lavender into some gin for about half an hour (or a little more if you want it stronger - we usually do a heaping tablespoon for 3-4 ounces of gin - enough to make two mixed drinks), mix it with some lemon soda (or some lemonade and seltzer), and you'll have a lovely summer cocktail :)
 
I had some lavender lemonade at a lavender farm once - it wasn’t for me but the others seemed to really like it.
 
Yeah, you're pretty much set for a while ;) Is this dried lavender and chamomile, like for tea? If you are a gin drinker, you can infuse the lavender into some gin for about half an hour (or a little more if you want it stronger - we usually do a heaping tablespoon for 3-4 ounces of gin - enough to make two mixed drinks), mix it with some lemon soda (or some lemonade and seltzer), and you'll have a lovely summer cocktail :)
Homemade akvavit ain't bad either.
 
Yep, both the lavender and chamomile are for my bedtime tea. Lavender also seems to help bring my blood pressure down as well as relax me. And of course, with a pound of the stuff, I'll probably be infusing some vodka and/or gin and whatever else might be infusible. 😁
 
I had some lavender lemonade at a lavender farm once - it wasn’t for me but the others seemed to really like it.

You were missing the gin ;)
 
Yep, both the lavender and chamomile are for my bedtime tea. Lavender also seems to help bring my blood pressure down as well as relax me. And of course, with a pound of the stuff, I'll probably be infusing some vodka and/or gin and whatever else might be infusible. 😁

I do enjoy both as tea, too, though I get a little burnt out on both if I have it too many nights in a row, so I go through phases. Lavender is definitely calming. The essential oil is also useful to reduce the itch of bug bites. I learned that trick when visiting the south of France a few years back. Lavender grows like crazy in Provence, so I was skeptical at first, thinking it was one of those "our French lavender cures EVERYTHING!" kind of claims. But it does work - not as well as some other things, but it's good in a pinch.
 
Oops, I did it again... supposed to make Tuscan Salmon this evening for the fam, but I decided I wanted to do something different, so instead of heavy cream, I substituted coconut cream, and I added a mild Korma seasoning (think curry without the bite). Still sauteed the cherry tomatoes and added the spinach, but it gave the dish a South Asian twist. The house smelled like garlic and curry. Mmmmmm! No leftovers.
 
Oops, I did it again... supposed to make Tuscan Salmon this evening for the fam, but I decided I wanted to do something different, so instead of heavy cream, I substituted coconut cream, and I added a mild Korma seasoning (think curry without the bite). Still sauteed the cherry tomatoes and added the spinach, but it gave the dish a South Asian twist. The house smelled like garlic and curry. Mmmmmm! No leftovers.
Well?!? What was for dessert? ;)
 
Rough night Tuesday night, high winds knocked out power around 7. Didn't get it restored till 3:30 this morning. Had generator running to refrigerator and deep freeze, but no a/c 🙄 Guess I should consider myself lucky as there were still close to a million customers in the central and southern part of the state without power, Wednesday morning.

Spent most of the day yesterday trying to recover. Hoping today is better

EDIT: Just checked the outage map, still 688 customers without power from the storm and another 178 they don't have a clue when repairs will be made because of damage. Would suck to be them in this heat!!!!!!!!!!
 
Last edited:
Rough night Tuesday night, high winds knocked out power around 7. Didn't get it restored till 3:30 this morning. Had generator running to refrigerator and deep freeze, but no a/c 🙄 Guess I should consider myself lucky as there were still close to a million customers in the central and southern part of the state without power, Wednesday morning.

Spent most of the day yesterday trying to recover. Hoping today is better

EDIT: Just checked the outage map, still 688 customers without power from the storm and another 178 they don't have a clue when repairs will be made because of damage. Would suck to be them in this heat!!!!!!!!!!
In our area, our utility lines are all buried, so much less of an issue with high winds. Our challenge is some yayhoo with a backhoe taking out electrical lines, fiber optic lines, and anything else that may be buried. Call before you dig... :rolleyes:
 
Having a diabetic and a pre-diabetic in the house, we don't normally have desserts. We reserve desserts for special occasions anymore.
Ooo, didn't know that! Guess you all do have to plan carefully.

And here I thought your fruit tart was a regular item!
 
Rough night Tuesday night, high winds knocked out power around 7. Didn't get it restored till 3:30 this morning. Had generator running to refrigerator and deep freeze, but no a/c 🙄 Guess I should consider myself lucky as there were still close to a million customers in the central and southern part of the state without power, Wednesday morning.

Spent most of the day yesterday trying to recover. Hoping today is better

EDIT: Just checked the outage map, still 688 customers without power from the storm and another 178 they don't have a clue when repairs will be made because of damage. Would suck to be them in this heat!!!!!!!!!!
That's awful to hear! Honestly, I don't know which is worse - no power in the summer or no power in the winter. Either extreme can be deadly, rather than just uncomfortable or inconvenient.

I'm sure neighboring states are ready to help with manpower, if they aren't there already. Hope it goes faster than predicted.
 
sure neighboring states are ready to help with manpower, if they aren't there already. Hope it goes faster than predicted.
The straight line winds were rough, but not all utility companies experienced the same outages. ALP seems to have a lot of problems with outages. Part of it is they don't do a good job keeping easements cleaned, most of their lines are ovehead, and 50+ years old.
 
Good evening, hosers. I had a Geo meeting on the Eastern Shore or the Delmarva Peninsula; sometimes just called "The Shore." A little over two hours, each way. Next week is the Towson University conference. The "Emerging Professionals" working group I'm in has a three-hour block for presentations to help the recent graduates, near graduates and work force transitioning into GIS get a helping hand in how to prepare for a job in the field.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom