The Coffee House

Rain and storms give us a break, the temperature goes up and the air quality goes down. We can't win. Went to the Lake to get some relief, but it's hot here. The breeze that's usually coming in over the water isn't to be found. We're fortunate to have a couple of large shade trees that help.
When it rains here the steam comes next.

Rain. Make that lotsa rain. Should be nicely semi-tropical for the week. Mosquitos add to the "Heart of Darkness" vibe. At least cheap Czech lager is on sale at The Beer Store--our provincially-run suds source.
Very happy with our DIY spuds experiment in gro-bags.
Ceske Budovice or Pilsner Urquell? The former is the true Budweiser, some 400 years before the AB stuff came into being, and it is known as the beer of kings. When I was living in Germany, it was still called Budweiser, and the AB product had to go by the name Bud. PU is the original pilsner that all other pilsners stem from. If I ever get back to Europe, a trip to Pilsen is on the list.

Ceske Budovice or Pilsner Urquell? The former is the true Budweiser, some 400 years before the AB stuff came into being, and it is known as the beer of kings. When I was living in Germany, it was still called Budweiser, and the AB product had to go by the name Bud. PU is the original pilsner that all other pilsners stem from. If I ever get back to Europe, a trip to Pilsen is on the list.
Happily guzzling a couple big brewers' discount sub-brands: Kozel from Pilsner Urquell; and Kostritzer from Bitburger. Na zdraví! Prost!

Heard a similar story about Bud's reputed ancestor: Czechvar.

Hi all vid adverts.. where?
Here it’s pouring, we had the strong wings now it’s rain.
On to photography related.
Having a turn out of old “empty” boxes I found the bridge camera that Mrs bought when I gave up sailing. Thank goodness that the AA batteries had been removed. There was still a mem card with images on. Talk about being taken back in time…
Decided to put fresh batteries and Sd card in and leave it in the car,
For those. “ I wish I had a camera with me” moments

Hi all vid adverts.. where?
Here it’s pouring, we had the strong wings now it’s rain.
On to photography related.
Having a turn out of old “empty” boxes I found the bridge camera that Mrs bought when I gave up sailing. Thank goodness that the AA batteries had been removed. There was still a mem card with images on. Talk about being taken back in time…
Decided to put fresh batteries and Sd card in and leave it in the car,
For those. “ I wish I had a camera with me” moments
Cool!! I hope you have fun with it!

Well hosers, I am surrounded by flickering candle light and the sound of rain and thunder. Massive, nasty storm system took out our power about 6 hours ago. I doubt anything will happen until it's rolled through the state and they can make a full assessment.

We were just talking about which is worse: power outage in summer or winter. It's going to be 94 degrees F. by Friday, so Ima say summer. We went to dinner tonight and had a great time with pizza and wine, so hopefully we'll sleep well.
The house is still dry and reasonably cool as we're leaving the windows shut for now - ran the AC all afternoon.

I'm turning off the phone now. ;) Thank goodness for car phone chargers!

Well hosers, I am surrounded by flickering candle light and the sound of rain and thunder. Massive, nasty storm system took out our power about 6 hours ago. I doubt anything will happen until it's rolled through the state and they can make a full assessment.

We were just talking about which is worse: power outage in summer or winter. It's going to be 94 degrees F. by Friday, so Ima say summer. We went to dinner tonight and had a great time with pizza and wine, so hopefully we'll sleep well.
The house is still dry and reasonably cool as we're leaving the windows shut for now - ran the AC all afternoon.

Hope you get your power back soon.

I hope you were able to sleep, and you get power soon, if not already restored.

Definitely worse in the summer. Do you have a generator?

Definitely worse in the summer. Do you have a generator?
Nope - no generator. And still no power today! :sniffle:

The good thing is that I have an ancient Pyrex percolator, authentically used by my mom in the '50s before she bought an electric one. I'm sipping perfectly percolated coffee! ☕

I hope you were able to sleep
Last night wasn't a problem at all. We've kept the humidity out just keeping windows closed, even though the temperatures really dropped after the rain - down into the 60's! Only 71 F. right now - the gift of the North!

But it's short lived: gonna be 89 F. today and 94 F. tomorrow - and tomorrow is when we're promised power. So today might be icky. Well, definitely icky! :lol:

Our neighbors behind us strolled over yesterday to invite us into their generator-cooled house. Might be going over with a bottle of wine later!

Okay, phone off. Dentist appointment later today to repair the chipped tooth.

Good times. :goodvibes:

Hope you get the power back soon.

Around here, the rule is, if the power goes out, the fridge and freezer stay closed. I usually tape the doors shut with duck tape just to make sure. We have a camp stove we can use for coffee and cooking, although right now all we have to do is just set it outside for about 30 minutes, and it's done... it hit 104F yesterday.

Around here, the rule is, if the power goes out, the fridge and freezer stay closed. I usually tape the doors shut with duck tape just to make sure. We have a camp stove we can use for coffee and cooking, although right now all we have to do is just set it outside for about 30 minutes, and it's done... it hit 104F yesterday.
We do that as well. I have a digital thermometer in the fridge that gives current and highest. With 100 degree Temps it doesn't take long for it to rise to unsafe levels.

During the blizzard of 93 we were out of power for almost a week. We learned several useful hacks.

Power came back on unexpectedly about an hour ago. We had gotten an update earlier saying our street would be back on tomorrow.

Hubby had turned the AC off to avoid the power surge, so we took a minute to close windows before turning it on. After that, it was get the phones on chargers. :lol:

I feel very lucky! Although temps are still around 82 F, the humidity has driven the "real feel" to 94 F. And tomorrow is forecast to be hotter.

We only opened the fridge for coffee cream this morning. Didn't touch the freezer.

Washed up the old Pyrex percolator and returned it to the top shelf. This thing is around 75 years old! Still working perfectly. :)

20230727_150634.jpg

Huzzah! :icon_cheers:

Wow - lots of tales of woe in the coffee house this week! I’ll add my own. About an hour ago a tall truck caught the cable wire going to our house and ripped it off. It was still working but was across the busy street and everyone was driving under, over and around it. I called 911 as wasn’t sure if it was power or cable at the time because everything was still working. Fire department came out and cut the wire. Understandable since it was causing a hazard but - they cut it in the stupidest place possible, right in the middle of the street. Now pretty sure repair will need to run a whole new wire instead of patching the existing or just letting out some of the slack they have at the pole. Due to my job, I do have some pull with our local provider and the tech is on his way over now. Hopefully he beats the storm I see forming.

Most reactions

Back