The Coffee House

That sounds incredibly painful! :(

Is it an actual brace? Something you might try in between are those athletic knee sleeves. Tennis players use them. They just slide over the foot and cover the knee, and can be very stabilizing when that wobbly sensation starts. They range from being fairly lightweight to thicker with a robust pad around the patella.
These are very helpful. I have a partially torn meniscus in my right knee and elected not to have the “clean up” surgery 10 years ago as I didn’t feel it was bad enough to warrant that. I do baby it a little. it rarely bothers me now - when it does I wear the stabilizer sleeve.

Is it an actual brace? Something you might try in between are those athletic knee sleeves. Tennis players use them. They just slide over the foot and cover the knee, and can be very stabilizing when that wobbly sensation starts. They range from being fairly lightweight to thicker with a robust pad around the patella.
I have both, the one I'm wearing now has a hard stave with a hinge on each each side. It only lets the knee bend in one direction. It tends to get uncomfortable after a few days, so I'll switch over to the other one. It offers little protection against sideways movement though.....I was wearing it when the knee went sideways on me. The only good thing is I don't think I tore the ligament as bad this time.

This has been the week that just keeps on giving. Yesterday around 2 our typical afternoon summer storm came through. Not a bad storm, but 26000 people including us lost power. I'm so $%^&# aggravated with our power company, this is the 5th week in a row we've lost power at least once. They finally updated their estimated repair to 10 pm tomorrow You'd think that despite the fact they haven't maintained their right ways in years, that all the trees that could come down would've already come down. To add insult to injury last night I could see homes on the mountain less than a mile away all shining brightly after the same storm. Course they're served by a utility company that maintains their grid.

Last edited:
This has been the week that just keeps on giving. Yesterday around 2 our typical afternoon summer storm came through. Not a bad storm, but 26000 people including us lost power. I'm so $%^&# aggravated with our power company, this is the 5th week in a row we've lost power at least once. They finally updated their estimated repair to 10 pm tomorrow You'd think that despite the fact they haven't maintained their right ways in years, that all the trees that could come down would've already come down. To add insult to injury last night I could see homes on the mountain less than a mile away all shining brightly after the same storm. Course they're served by a utility company that maintains their grid.
I take it there is no recourse. Seems to me they would have oversight and a responsibility to the State to do their work.

Recourse is to elect people who believe in regulatory oversight of utility companies and admit that those things cost money which you can’t do if no one wants to pay any taxes.

What a pita!

Agree that our dollars would be better spent keeping up with our power grid maintenance rather than plotting how to afford home generators. :rolleyes:

Aside from Smoke sitting without power on his mountain, Happy Friday, hosers. ;)

Anyone with special weekend plans?
TGIFF!

I’m back at my friends place for the weekend helping her out while she recovers from her surgery. Taking her little puppy for walks and ordering take out. Two of my major life skills.

Here’s little Bisu

IMG_3738.jpeg

I take it there is no recourse. Seems to me they would have oversight and a responsibility to the State to do their work.
The PSC is the regulatory agency, but they seem to have a blind eye where AP is concerned

The PSC is the regulatory agency, but they seem to have a blind eye where AP is concerned
We have ONCOR, and they seem to be really responsive. We had a transformer blow behind the house, literally behind the house in the alley. They had a crew out ascertaining the damage within 30 minutes, and they had the darn thing replaced within two hours, and it was an in-ground transformer. Apparently, moisture got inside and shorted it out. When it blew, it shook the house and rattled the windows, and I thought we had been bombed.

The good news for us is our power is back on. Yesterday after reports that it could be out for a couple days, I bought another generator a little bigger than my other one. I'd wanted a larger one for the RV anyhow. I'd just dozed off in the cool comfort of the RV when DW said "the power is on". 30 mins later we had everything unhooked and back in bed.

The story going round now is that a down burst caused the damage. Regardless the cause, having trees growing in the power lines, because they haven't maintained their right of way, is a recipe for disaster.

Glad the power is back on! Always nice when it happens sooner than expected. Georgia Power was famous for that - we always took it as a cheap way to make themselves look better. :lol:

That was what I liked about the apartment - the electrical was a coop, and the wiries (on our side of town) were underground.

A few years ago, the County went through and planted some little trees along the road in the neighborhood, including in front of our place. Unfortunately, it is directly under the power, CATV and Telco wires. I guess we have a couple years before it becomes an issue.

That was what I liked about the apartment - the electrical was a coop, and the wiries (on our side of town) were underground.

That would be expensive here, our valley is 26 miles long x 5 miles wide. Lol When the grid was built it was sparsely populated, back then 400 amp service on a home was unheard of. Over the last few years we've had explosive growth in large nice homes and unfortunately little in the way of upgrades. AP follows the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule so upgrades only occur when something fails and they have no choice but to replace it with something better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back