What's new

The Coffee House

@jeffashman I was fortunate to be a VFFR for over 20 years in a volunteer department that took training seriously. You don't forget that.
 
We hit 104F yesterday afternoon, 109F heat index. My plants are struggling and my Salvia finally just shriveled up, and my Avacado is pretty much toast... Vincas, Coneflowers, and Pentas are showing stress. On the other hand, the Portulaca, Lantana, Supertunia, Coleaus, and Caladium are as happy as clams for now.
 
Yesterday's birthday will be one for the memory books.

While at the car dealership getting the oil changed, I noticed a commotion just outside the front door. Went to investigate and found an elderly woman prone on the concrete. She'd taken a bad fall, had a large hematoma on the back of her head that was already the size of a lemon and complaining of neck pain. The 1st Responder in me kicked in, took over checking vitals, monitoring and securing C-spine, till fire/ambulance arrived.

Then yesterday afternoon we headed to a favorite buffet for Tuesday Senior Day for my birthday dinner. Had to leave before we had time to fully enjoy it. There was something in the air there that was triggering my asthma. Got out before I had a full on attack, but not before it dropped my O2 levels into the danger zone. Took a couple hours, some prednisone and several hits on the rescue inhaler, to come out of it.
Good thing you were there to help the injured woman. Sorry about your asthma attack. Hoping you have a birthday dinner out redo soon.
 
I'm glad I don't have asthma. I have had friends and relatives who do. . Take care. . . .
 
I'm glad I don't have asthma. I have had friends and relatives who do. . Take care. . . .

I was diagnosed with Late Onset Asthma at age 60, like most of my body I haven't gone easy on the lungs. It's mostly controlled and thankfully it tends to be situational so I've learned to be aware of the triggers. The good thing about it is there's no waiting in the ER when you come in looking like a Smurf and tell them you're having an Asthma attack. LOL
 
We hit 104F yesterday afternoon, 109F heat index. My plants are struggling and my Salvia finally just shriveled up, and my Avacado is pretty much toast... Vincas, Coneflowers, and Pentas are showing stress. On the other hand, the Portulaca, Lantana, Supertunia, Coleaus, and Caladium are as happy as clams for now.
I sure hope this heat dome breaks up soon, or moves out - whatever it needs to do to be over. I remember the heat of Houston very well, and I was struggling at the time with my outdoor plants *only* in 98F heat!

I discovered vincas and the family of Supertunias while still in Georgia. They're extremely heat tolerant. Glad a few things are hanging in there!

my Avacado is pretty much toast...
I see what you did there. 😏
 
We hit 104F yesterday afternoon, 109F heat index. My plants are struggling and my Salvia finally just shriveled up, and my Avacado is pretty much toast... Vincas, Coneflowers, and Pentas are showing stress. On the other hand, the Portulaca, Lantana, Supertunia, Coleaus, and Caladium are as happy as clams for now.
I sure hope this heat dome breaks up soon, or moves out - whatever it needs to do to be over. I remember the heat of Houston very well, and I was struggling at the time with my outdoor plants *only* in 98F heat!

I discovered vincas and the family of Supertunias while still in Georgia. They're extremely heat tolerant. Glad a few things are hanging in there!

my Avacado is pretty much toast...
I see what you did there. 😏
 
I was diagnosed with Late Onset Asthma at age 60, like most of my body I haven't gone easy on the lungs. It's mostly controlled and thankfully it tends to be situational so I've learned to be aware of the triggers. The good thing about it is there's no waiting in the ER when you come in looking like a Smurf and tell them you're having an Asthma attack. LOL
Happy belated birthday! :) Sorry the asthma kicked in, but it's good that you're very self aware. You were still in the right place at the right time, helping this poor woman. Good on ya!
 
I sure hope this heat dome breaks up soon, or moves out - whatever it needs to do to be over.
Absolutely. We topped over 107F this afternoon. One weather app has the "feels like" number at 143F. 🤯 I went out to get the mail from the mailbox, which is across the street, and it was like walking in an oven. I'm betting the heat index is realistically closer to 113F. The crazy thing is that it will drop to 83F at night.
 
Absolutely. We topped over 107F this afternoon. One weather app has the "feels like" number at 143F. 🤯 I went out to get the mail from the mailbox, which is across the street, and it was like walking in an oven. I'm betting the heat index is realistically closer to 113F. The crazy thing is that it will drop to 83F at night.
83F isn't exactly cool, either, but it probably feels downright refreshing after those temps.
it was like walking in an oven
I hope there's a good Texas breeze, at least moving air around. If you have to walk in an oven, let it be convection!
 
Today started out pretty good the temp was in the mid 70's but there was very little humidity. As the day wore on it got into the low 90's but fortunately the humidity stayed low. I can't say I enjoy 90+ weather but with low humidity it's bearable. Looks like our reprieve will be ending Friday.
 
Hope your birthday was happy, otherwise, Smoke.

left the hotel early this morning because I needed to get candy for the MSGIC table. It was 60 degree; I popped the top panels on the truck. Back up to 82 when O left the conference this afternoon.
 
Guess it's my week in the barrel. Been having issues with my knees, over the years they taken a lot of abuse. Couple months ago I had a MCL tear in the left knee, that took several weeks to heal. The last week or so the right knee has been a little unstable. Last night it bent to far to the right, the pain was instant. After a restless night's rest, a couple of rounds of Advil, ice packs and wearing my brace it's a little better. Hoping the tear isn't as bad as the left knee was.
 
Guess it's my week in the barrel. Been having issues with my knees, over the years they taken a lot of abuse. Couple months ago I had a MCL tear in the left knee, that took several weeks to heal. The last week or so the right knee has been a little unstable. Last night it bent to far to the right, the pain was instant. After a restless night's rest, a couple of rounds of Advil, ice packs and wearing my brace it's a little better. Hoping the tear isn't as bad as the left knee was.
That sounds incredibly painful! :(

wearing my brace
Is it an actual brace? Something you might try in between are those athletic knee sleeves. Tennis players use them. They just slide over the foot and cover the knee, and can be very stabilizing when that wobbly sensation starts. They range from being fairly lightweight to thicker with a robust pad around the patella.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom