What's new

The Coffee House

Same here - we had a big front roll through over the weekend, and today was super windy as the clouds got blown away. It's now about 67F. outside, and the fireflies are still bobbing around in the cool. Beautiful night! :)

Tomorrow we'll be back up to 86F. Quite a roller-coaster! But the cool nights are sticking around - definitely feels like summer is on the wane.

Football starts soon! :winksexy:
Here in Texas we've had nothing but clear, blue skies and gentle breezes...
 
A little break in the weather temp wise and got in a few walks. As long as the humidity stays lower it is pleasant. The weather channel talked this morning about all the storms lately that have hit the SE.

Sorry @smoke665 Bill that you have had so many.
 
A little break in the weather temp wise and got in a few walks. As long as the humidity stays lower it is pleasant. The weather channel talked this morning about all the storms lately that have hit the SE.

Sorry @smoke665 Bill that you have had so many.
Weather patterns have been crazy this year. We were late qetting crops planted at the MO farm, then it turned off dry, almost a drought, now it's storms every day. Here in AL very wet fall/winter. Then wet spring delayed planting, but the rains all summer have everything looking like a tropical forest. For the first time in my memory, I watched them pick cotton on a field from last year, and immediately replanted it this spring.
 
Morning Y'all!!! Long day yesterday, DW had her 6 month checkup at Emory in Atlanta. All went really well, they told her she didn't have to come back for a year!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which is good, because I hate driving in Atlanta, especially through the downtown, traffic is horrendous, always some sort of construction going on, and without GPS it's a nightmare to navigate.
 
Morning Y'all!!! Long day yesterday, DW had her 6 month checkup at Emory in Atlanta. All went really well, they told her she didn't have to come back for a year!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which is good, because I hate driving in Atlanta, especially through the downtown, traffic is horrendous, always some sort of construction going on, and without GPS it's a nightmare to navigate.
Wonderful news!
 
Morning Y'all!!! Long day yesterday, DW had her 6 month checkup at Emory in Atlanta. All went really well, they told her she didn't have to come back for a year!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which is good, because I hate driving in Atlanta, especially through the downtown, traffic is horrendous, always some sort of construction going on, and without GPS it's a nightmare to navigate.
Oh come on! There's nothing more fun than traffic around Fulton/DeKalb County! :biglaugh: All you need is a full tank of gas and some ready-made Zen. 🙏

Great news about your wife, all kidding aside. After the stress of the trip it's great to have such good news.
 
Oh come on! There's nothing more fun than traffic around Fulton/DeKalb County! :biglaugh: All you need is a full tank of gas and some ready-made Zen. 🙏
The kind of Zen that comes from a good bourbon!!!!!!!!! :laugh2:

Streets don't run north/south or east/west, they're like some hellish spider web that entraps you. If that doesn't work, just about every street has Peachtree or MLK incorporated somewhere in the name, street names change without warning or notice and there's minimal notice on exits, they're right on the exit. Try getting across 6 lanes of angry Atlanta drivers on short notice. One thing you don't do is use your turn signal, they see a turn signal it's like a light to a moth, they'll come from everywhere to cut you off.
 
Last edited:
The kind of Zen that comes from a good bourbon!!!!!!!!! :laugh2:

Streets don't run north/south or east/west, they're like some hellish spider web that entraps you. If that doesn't work, just about every street has Peachtree or MLK incorporated somewhere in the name, street names change without warning or notice and there's minimal notice on exits, they're right on the exit. Try getting across 6 lanes of angry Atlanta drivers on short notice. One thing you don't do is use your turn signal, they see a turn signal it's like a light to a moth, they'll come from everywhere to cut you off.
Been there, lived there - done all that!

Now I live in the cool North, where the streets aren't derived from old pig trails. :1247:
 
Been there, lived there - done all that!

Now I live in the cool North, where the streets aren't derived from old pig trails. :1247:
San Angelo, TX, where we lived before moving to the Dallas area, has a long street called Paseo de Vaca (Way of the Cattle) because it was literally the trail that cattle was driven along.
 
Tonight's dinner inspiration started with 1 pound of ground turkey (we're trying to reduce red meat in our diet). I softened an onion and garlic in a pan, then added the ground turkey along with a smidge of salt, ancho chile powder, smoked paprika, and cumin. Browned the meat, mixing in the onions and garlic, then added fresh, halved cherry tomatoes, a can of black beans, and a can of fire roasted corn, and let heat through and through. The house smelled marvelous, the food tasted marvelous, and we had a good time of it! Tomorrow will be ground turkey with diced tomatoes, garlic, onion, and rosemary, served with a bit of pasta for those not boycotting carbs. Green beans as a side.
 
San Angelo, TX, where we lived before moving to the Dallas area, has a long street called Paseo de Vaca (Way of the Cattle) because it was literally the trail that cattle was driven along.
I grew up in a neighborhood that was once a farm, the next neighborhood over was also once a farm and both were developed around 1900. The 2 farmers hated each other and when they laid out the streets they went out of their way to prevent anyone from traveling from one to the other.

Made it a real pia to get from one side of town to the other sixty years later, even as a kid on a bicycle I knew it was odd. Still that way, my friends would always ask why don’t the streets line up and skip whole blocks In places.
 
I grew up in a neighborhood that was once a farm, the next neighborhood over was also once a farm and both were developed around 1900. The 2 farmers hated each other and when they laid out the streets they went out of their way to prevent anyone from traveling from one to the other.

Made it a real pia to get from one side of town to the other sixty years later, even as a kid on a bicycle I knew it was odd. Still that way, my friends would always ask why don’t the streets line up and skip whole blocks In places.
That's so crazy, isn't it? A silly grudge that ends up impacting uninvolved people for decades! I shake my head!
 
Tonight's dinner inspiration started with 1 pound of ground turkey (we're trying to reduce red meat in our diet). I softened an onion and garlic in a pan, then added the ground turkey along with a smidge of salt, ancho chile powder, smoked paprika, and cumin. Browned the meat, mixing in the onions and garlic, then added fresh, halved cherry tomatoes, a can of black beans, and a can of fire roasted corn, and let heat through and through. The house smelled marvelous, the food tasted marvelous, and we had a good time of it! Tomorrow will be ground turkey with diced tomatoes, garlic, onion, and rosemary, served with a bit of pasta for those not boycotting carbs. Green beans as a side.
Your meal plans always sound so good! Always seem kinda off the cuff but so tasty. Applause for the Chef!

Today I'm doing something I rarely do: cooking half my meal ahead of time. I'm making baked ziti. I have gravitated to meatless pasta over the years. I think I actually forgot to brown the Italian sausage one time when making lasagna and it turned out no one cared. So I kept it going, saving me some kitchen time.

My sauce is simmering atm - plain tomato sauce for the base, after starting by heating up the olive oil then adding chopped garlic and letting it infuse the oil. Add the sauce, then my herbs from the garden: basil, oregano and parsley (that the caterpillars haven't eaten!). Some salt and fresh black pepper.

The pasta is cooking and I'll assemble some cheeses, an egg and eventually stir it all together. Later it will be assembled and all I'll have to do is get a salad going. Yum!
 
Tonight's dinner inspiration started with 1 pound of ground turkey (we're trying to reduce red meat in our diet). I softened an onion and garlic in a pan, then added the ground turkey along with a smidge of salt, ancho chile powder, smoked paprika, and cumin. Browned the meat, mixing in the onions and garlic, then added fresh, halved cherry tomatoes, a can of black beans, and a can of fire roasted corn, and let heat through and through. The house smelled marvelous, the food tasted marvelous, and we had a good time of it! Tomorrow will be ground turkey with diced tomatoes, garlic, onion, and rosemary, served with a bit of pasta for those not boycotting carbs. Green beans as a side.
Sounds delish! I gave up pork and beef about 5 years ago. Except bacon on a rare occasion. I've tried to have a bite of SO's steak and had to spit it out. I've lost my taste for beef or pork. I have substituted ground turkey in chili.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom