What's new

The Coffee House

Oh my just outside picking up and putting away generators, cords etc. Even though it's only 87 with a 75 dew point my shirt is soaked, and it's dripping off my hair. I'm so over the heat and humidity of summer.....I'll take winter anytime over this.
 
86, here. I trimmed some of the crape myrtle and the the dried flower spikes from the yuccas, then took them to the yard waste dropoff. We took the truck through the car wash while we were out so it will be pretty for the big duck photo shoot.
 
Pretty sunset here tonight. Was at the beach so it was behind us.

IMG_3849.webp
 
Pretty sunset here tonight.

Mother Nature showing off! Friday morning we had a sunrise similar, lots of orange/yellow in the sky. Should have got the camera out but the power problems had me exhausted.
 
So what's the back story?
In two parts. The duck was created a number of years ago and apparently went around the world. It may have been some kind of goodwill thing; I don't recall. I remember seeing a photo of it. It is making it's way around again.

The ducks & Jeeps thing: in a nutshell, Allison Parliament , a woman from Canada, working and living in Alabama, was back in Ontario during the eary days of the Pandemic. She was pushed into her car (AL tags) by a local and told to "go home." She either had some small rubber duch. A friend help her get over the incident so to thnk him, she bought a bunch of little ducks and put them all over his houe. Before that, she placed a yellow duck on a stranger's Jeep in the parking lot with a note that said "Nice Jeep." At her friend's suggestion, she posted the experience on social media, and it has taken off.

One article on Jeep Ducking: Here’s What It Means if You See a Rubber Ducky on a Jeep.

I got ducked at the event. If you look, you can see my other ducks on the dashboard. As a side note, the thing that looks like an oversized dog tag, hanging from the rearview mirror is a tag showing I completed one of the Jeep "Badge of Honor" offroad trails. Un this case, Peters Mill Run, in the GW National Forest, VA.


IMG_0591.jpg by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr


IMG_0590.jpg by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

I took the panorama while standing on the driver's seat, out the top of the truck. The US and Maryland flags, on the far left, are on the back of my truck. The Wrangler with the dragonfly tire cover was parked in front of me.
 
Last edited:
Nice story. I've heard about the big duck(s) on the move. I think the original was the creation of a Dutch artist (checks Google... yeah, Dutch artist Florentijn Hofman), and travels the world. Recently, there were two in Hong Kong, and one deflated in the heat. I'll have to get some shots of my Southwest Airlines ducks.
 
I coudn't remember details but I saw a photo of it going though a canal (Chesapeake & Delaware?). I also remember it going to NYC and San Fran.

It's going up the bay and will be in Crisfield, MD next weekend.
 
Oh, Charlie, that reminds me of 'our' ducks. We used to be the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks, and one time they did some thing or other with yellow plastic ducks... oh I know! Because of Cincinnati's fireworks on Labor Day, they sent ducks downriver (some fundraiser or other). So I ended up with one at a game, somehow...

Then there's my story of the big inflatable duck. Down the street from the school where I taught the Ducks were doing a promo/cookout. I stopped by and asked the staff member if I could help (thinking getting out paper plates, etc.). He said sure I could help get the duck inflated...

I held a rope and as it inflated it started to lean and there was a giant duck butt towering over me. For a moment there I thought it might go over! but he got his rope set and got the damn thing up.

I should look for pictures, they set that up at a game inside the arena. And at a summertime outdoor event. And of course I took pictures of every damn stupid thing they did with ducks! lol
 
Under a thunderstorm warning and high winds/tornado/hail watch. I started cutting the neighbor's yard and it started raining just as I was getting close to finishing. I can hear not so distant thunde, now.

I'm going to get the POTM Voting thread done after dinner. Unless we lose power.
 
Under a thunderstorm warning and high winds/tornado/hail watch
We can't seem to have a day without storms. Thursday evening 26,000 out of power, they worked hard to restore it, by Saturday morning down to 3000. Then a front came through raised it back to 13000, they regrouped got it down to 1800. Sunday afternoon it hit again putting 31000 out of power. Today another one came through, not as strong but still raised the level back to18,000 out of power.

I know customers (some of which have been out for 4 days) are tired, and linemen who've been going nonstop for the last 4 days are weary.

Fortunately most of the recent outages have been south of us. We did have a couple large hardwoods snapped off 4' above the ground. They're saying it's the result of sudden down bursts creating straight line winds in excess of 79-80 mph.
 
This has definitely been a stormy summer! It’s been cool here at night for the last few days, a sure sign that summer is on the way out but this is super early for that to happen!
 
This has definitely been a stormy summer! It’s been cool here at night for the last few days, a sure sign that summer is on the way out but this is super early for that to happen!
Same here - we had a big front roll through over the weekend, and today was super windy as the clouds got blown away. It's now about 67F. outside, and the fireflies are still bobbing around in the cool. Beautiful night! :)

Tomorrow we'll be back up to 86F. Quite a roller-coaster! But the cool nights are sticking around - definitely feels like summer is on the wane.

Football starts soon! :winksexy:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom