What's new

The Coffee House

@Original katomi my condolences on Molly. Our pets become such a loving, giving part of our lives, that its hard when they pass.

anyone out there want to give me their tuppence worth of advice on doing people portrait photography?

Yes...don't be one of those "Mom's with camera" fly by night $25 gets you a couple dozen unedited JPEGS. I'm most passionate about studio work, but competing here with the aforementioned bunch is difficult. Clients have unrealistic expectations on the cost of quality work.
 
I don't think I'm going to have much to say about this, but I have a warning:

Re: Real Estate Speculation around Toronto: I can't see where the breaking point is, but I would be cautious. The global population is stalling. China is looking to be short of work force due to lack of population growth. Japan has been shrinking for a few years now. India? I don't know, but it does seem to be slowing.

So where are all the new home buyers going to come from?
 
I have the s
I don't think I'm going to have much to say about this, but I have a warning:

Re: Real Estate Speculation around Toronto: I can't see where the breaking point is, but I would be cautious. The global population is stalling. China is looking to be short of work force due to lack of population growth. Japan has been shrinking for a few years now. India? I don't know, but it does seem to be slowing.

So where are all the new home buyers going to come from?
I have the same question here. I see all these apartments and houses going up everywhere, and have to wonder, do we really have THAT many people moving into the area? And the houses start in the $400's-$500's... so that many, making that kind of dosh? Something is going to give somewhere.
 
Hi all it’s early am here 03:08 BST had way tooooooo much coffee today and to be honest it’s a crud night.
lost my sm dog molly on Friday night. aged 14
decided that as soon as I get time I am going to work at doing people portrait photography.... it’s my nemesis
animals ok, stuffed toys ok ....
anyone out there want to give me their tuppence worth of advice on doing people portrait photography?
Sorry to hear about your Molly. That is always a hard thing, because at the end of the day, they are family.
 
Hi all it’s early am here 03:08 BST had way tooooooo much coffee today and to be honest it’s a crud night.
lost my sm dog molly on Friday night. aged 14
decided that as soon as I get time I am going to work at doing people portrait photography.... it’s my nemesis
animals ok, stuffed toys ok ....
anyone out there want to give me their tuppence worth of advice on doing people portrait photography?
So very sorry on the loss of your Molly.
 
Braved the start of the heat wave Sunday evening for sunflower photos. Daughter wanted one with the truck in the field. Harsh light and kids were dripping. Stayed maybe 45 minutes and there were shady spots in the field with places to sit. The owners had a rattan chair and a turned over large tub to sit on. There was a pro taking photos with an external flash. The flash was mounted on a dolly and he was having a rough go of it pulling it thru the ruts of the field. He was drenched and we were a little worried about him.

I did get a few keepers with the truck. Had to make adjustments in ACR with the brush tool. I did a sky replacement since it was hazy that evening.

The grands were crabby! Too hot for them. I told them to look for the $100 bill I hid in the sunflowers. The two oldest didn't believe me and the youngest was thinking oh maybe.

082023_010SMw.webp
 
With challenges comes growth

I'm not so sure about that. Lately, problems are just problems. Another new one is that YouTube now tacks on a "related" video at the end of whatever you watch. That means you have to rush and try to click on the "Cancel" to stop it, or close the tab while it is playing. If they limit this to being "optional" I won't mind, but as it is now, it is just a waste of my time, a waste of internet resources and a fake way to inflate view-counts to make it seem like YouTube is more popular than it is. What it is is very annoying. There are already ways to view groups of videos if I want to do so.
 
I'm not so sure about that. Lately, problems are just problems. Another new one is that YouTube now tacks on a "related" video at the end of whatever you watch. That means you have to rush and try to click on the "Cancel" to stop it, or close the tab while it is playing. If they limit this to being "optional" I won't mind, but as it is now, it is just a waste of my time, a waste of internet resources and a fake way to inflate view-counts to make it seem like YouTube is more popular than it is. What it is is very annoying. There are already ways to view groups of videos if I want to do so.
Agreed. I do very little You-Tubing as it is and, when I do, it's this kind of nonsense that reminds me why I try to avoid it.

Constant tapping to end an unwanted, loud video is definitely what we call a "first world problem," but in the moment it's annoying as hell. :lol:
 
In other news: it's Friday, hosers! :icon_sunny:

I'm currently about 9 frames into an uber-expired roll of Kodak HIE - only the former best infrared film ever made. :lovey: But I'm treating it as well as I can and need more sunshine. It's been overcast for the last 2 days. Hopefully I can get this test roll done this weekend!

Anyone have fun plans? @smoke665 , I'm guessing you have have another bottle of fig wine lined up? ;)
 
Anyone have fun plans? @smoke665 , I'm guessing you have have another bottle of fig wine lined up? ;)
To hot to be outside! Definitely not going to finish a bottle at one sitting again.😉
 
Heating up here, might break 100 tomorrow.

In other news Covid is heating up again. Grandson brought it home from school after only being open 3 days. 10 others kids are out with it that we know of. Looks like a new surge is coming. Welcome to the new normal.
 
MLW and I are off next week. No real plans except work around the house, though the $4 movie tickets are tempting if we can find something we want to see. Going out for dinner, tonight - steak house and (probably) soft-serve afterwards.
 
In other news Covid is heating up again. Grandson brought it home from school after only being open 3 days. 10 others kids are out with it that we know of. Looks like a new surge is coming. Welcome to the new normal.

We picked up Lil'Bit from school yesterday, even though COVID hasn't ramped up here yet, I couldn't help but twinge a bit with every little cough or sniffle.
 
Heating up here, might break 100 tomorrow.

In other news Covid is heating up again. Grandson brought it home from school after only being open 3 days. 10 others kids are out with it that we know of. Looks like a new surge is coming. Welcome to the new normal.
Sorry your grandson is ill. Afraid another surge is on and hopefully not as bad as year's past. A new booster will be available next month.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom