What's new

The Coffee House

My turn to lose power yesterday

Welcome to my world. We hit it lucky yesterday 1500 around us went down but we stayed on. Today's little blow took out 500 near us. You'd think that eventually all the problem trees would be gone, but the line maintenance is so bad it's not going to end anytime soon.

Looks like this year's grands' sunflower photos may be a bus

I've wanted to take some of L'il Bit in the sunflowers, but by the time she got old enough, the only place near us got ridiculous on price, and restricted all pictures to cell phone only or their designated onsite photographer. The only other place I've heard of is over a hundred miles away.
 
My turn to lose power yesterday. Only for 6 hours so can't complain. Reason was a tree. The electric company does a good job trimming trees in the area.

Looks like this year's grands' sunflower photos may be a bust. We planned on this evening at a new place close to home this year due to storms rolling in. With the grands schedules and daughter's work schedule it has been hard to pin down a date/time. The private field we are going to has set days and hours.
I love a pretty sunflower field! The hours are always during the worst part of the day for portraits though and no open shade anywhere in sight! Most of the places around here don't allow any sunrise or golden hour access unless you pay for their special event and do it on that date. Problem is that they want to book it way in advance and you're really rolling the dice on a decent sunrise/sunset. I get that they don't have staff to man the place multiple sunrises so I just try for a fluffy cloud day last minute. But some of the fields allow so many people you can't get a shot without having to photoshop out others. I always bring my little rubbermaid step stool so I can get a nice overview shot. I've lent it out to so many people over the years!

Welcome to my world. We hit it lucky yesterday 1500 around us went down but we stayed on. Today's little blow took out 500 near us. You'd think that eventually all the problem trees would be gone, but the line maintenance is so bad it's not going to end anytime soon.



I've wanted to take some of L'il Bit in the sunflowers, but by the time she got old enough, the only place near us got ridiculous on price, and restricted all pictures to cell phone only or their designated onsite photographer. The only other place I've heard of is over a hundred miles away.
One of the bigger places near me has a few mornings and afternoons that they allow professionals to book sessions for a fee plus admission price for their customers. Usually $50-$100 for an hour. I've seen people squeezing in 6-8 "mini sessions" in one hour. It's crazy and very assembly line! But with some of the elaborate set ups that people were bringing, you can't blame the fields for wanting to restrict it and/or make some money from them. That does ruin it for someone like you who wants to take photos for your own use and not for profit. Seems like you have some land, maybe plant a small patch next year and take your photos there. It can double as a fun science project for your granddaughter if she can think of a good hypothesis to test.
 
That does ruin it for someone like you who wants to take photos for your own use and not for profit. Seems like you have some land, maybe plant a small patch next year and take
The one near us only let's you use a cell phone. They don't allow any professional photographers. The onsite photographer is like the mall photographers. Run them in, run them out, would you like to see our packages?

Many years ago we raised sunflowers commercially for the oil. They were the shorter variety, not as big of heads, but still pretty. I remember the heads following the sun during thr day.
 
I love a pretty sunflower field! The hours are always during the worst part of the day for portraits though and no open shade anywhere in sight! Most of the places around here don't allow any sunrise or golden hour access unless you pay for their special event and do it on that date. Problem is that they want to book it way in advance and you're really rolling the dice on a decent sunrise/sunset. I get that they don't have staff to man the place multiple sunrises so I just try for a fluffy cloud day last minute. But some of the fields allow so many people you can't get a shot without having to photoshop out others. I always bring my little rubbermaid step stool so I can get a nice overview shot. I've lent it out to so many people over the years!


One of the bigger places near me has a few mornings and afternoons that they allow professionals to book sessions for a fee plus admission price for their customers. Usually $50-$100 for an hour. I've seen people squeezing in 6-8 "mini sessions" in one hour. It's crazy and very assembly line! But with some of the elaborate set ups that people were bringing, you can't blame the fields for wanting to restrict it and/or make some money from them. That does ruin it for someone like you who wants to take photos for your own use and not for profit. Seems like you have some land, maybe plant a small patch next year and take your photos there. It can double as a fun science project for your granddaughter if she can think of a good hypothesis to test.
Crazy prices! And no golden hour evenings?? I've taken the grands' photos at the MO conservation area which isn't very convenient. Free and the fields are massive.

The local farm field is $5/person and open 8am to 8pm. My daughter called them yesterday to ask about the blooms. They said the blooms are at 50% so looks like we will try again Sunday for photos.

I found another small farm in the area that has sunflowers & wild flowers. Their prices are $2/person. It is their first year and would account for the low price. It is hard to tell how big the fields are by the FB photos. I may drive by there this week.
 
I think we talked about this last year. Anyway, here the state plants them along the highways and interchanges. Lots of people out in them, some with phones, a few with pro looking setups, light stands, reflector, etc.
 
found another small farm in the area that has sunflowers & wild flowers. Their prices are $2/person. It is their first year and would account for the low price. It is hard to tell how big the fields are by the FB photos. I may drive by there this

I wouldn't have a problem with that, but the one here raised their price to $25 for cell phone only.
 
Hi all as you can see. I am just waiting for the water to boil.
potted up the plant for mum the roses, no pic, and clementines are having a second blush
mid sister called in on mum, moaning .... one of her moans is that her canon 600d is now much too heavy to hold
said I would swap my fine pix bridge camera for the canon... she was meant to drop canon in today.
ithe 600d will fit into my collection
time to go make hot drink ,,, kettle is boiling lol
 

Attachments

  • AFAA61AA-B34D-4827-811C-7D5E4FD51B2A.webp
    AFAA61AA-B34D-4827-811C-7D5E4FD51B2A.webp
    596.3 KB · Views: 52
  • B78A3CB7-3801-4F85-A1A7-63C92438053C.webp
    B78A3CB7-3801-4F85-A1A7-63C92438053C.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
  • 5C68A957-626A-4980-9B1F-0F7FB022DDE6.webp
    5C68A957-626A-4980-9B1F-0F7FB022DDE6.webp
    649.3 KB · Views: 46
Re your power cuts.
I bought a petrol/gasoline generator and had a 25 litre can of petrol. Seems petrol is hydroscopic and absorbs water.
I had no end of problems and have had to fit a water trap.
now the supply company has been bought out ‘taken over by OVO .... have to see what their response is to people with medical power needs in the even of a power cut/outage
 
Re your power cuts.
I bought a petrol/gasoline generator and had a 25 litre can of petrol. Seems petrol is hydroscopic and absorbs water.
I had no end of problems and have had to fit a water trap.
now the supply company has been bought out ‘taken over by OVO .... have to see what their response is to people with medical power needs in the even of a power cut/outage
I don't know if you can get it in the UK, but on this side of the pond, we have an additive to keep we can put in the gasoline to prevent water build up in stored fuel.
 
Went to the flower farm last evening. There were 3 fields of flowers. Sunflowers, wild flowers and a field of zinnias. There was a grassy area and a few photo props. One was a tent and the other a wood flower stand. The young couple owners were very nice and I hope their business takes off. $2 and you can cut a sunflower. Bunches of the wild flowers were a little more. I didn't take any flowers and was happy with getting photos.

Sunday I am meeting my daughter and grands at a different flower farm. They advertised today they will have an old truck near the field, but it is in the afternoon. I would rather have the nice evening light than afternoon light. This flower farm is having events like a band, taco truck, princess theme, and a few other themes. $5 is a bargain too.
 
I had my camera bag in hand yesterday morning, got in a rush to leave and left it on the counter. The weather at the Lake has been perfect. Cell phone shot off our dock last night. We're in a little protected Cove just off the main channel.
20230817_200624.webp
 
Photos this weekend. Saturday is the grand's first cross country meet of the new school year. It is at 10 am harsh sunlight, but the temps should be ok. The evening meets later in the Fall is easier to take photos.

Sunday evening sunflower photos with the grands at the new place I haven't been to yet. Hopefully it is an ok field and not run over with people. Only $5/person.

There is another local farm that has pumpkins, a maze, etc. When they first opened the no photographer rule was in place because a relative of the owner was starting out in photography. Ho hum photos. Looking at their site this week it appears they no long offer photography.

The smaller field where I went earlier this week, the one for $2 and a flower price, posted they were looking for photographers this weekend. The owners had people asking them for photos. The owners were pairing up people. Nice to see local small businesses helping other businesses. I took a bunch of photos and shared with them for their page.
 
I had my camera bag in hand yesterday morning, got in a rush to leave and left it on the counter. The weather at the Lake has been perfect. Cell phone shot off our dock last night. We're in a little protected Cove just off the main channel.View attachment 268145
That looks so quiet and peaceful! Don't you hate it when you walk out and leave things behind? :BangHead:
 
Last night was de-constructed Kofte, meaning I didn't want to mess with mixing and forming the meatballs. I chopped up an onion and some garlic really fine, and put 1 lb ground lamb and 1 lb ground veal in a pan with the onions and garlic, and some kebab seasoning and browned really well. What a heavenly scent! We had pita, tzatziki, hummus, and Israeli salad as sides. Happy family.
 
Last night was de-constructed Kofte, meaning I didn't want to mess with mixing and forming the meatballs. I chopped up an onion and some garlic really fine, and put 1 lb ground lamb and 1 lb ground veal in a pan with the onions and garlic, and some kebab seasoning and browned really well. What a heavenly scent! We had pita, tzatziki, hummus, and Israeli salad as sides. Happy family.
That sounds delicious!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom