The Coffee House

Pot is now legal here. I'm kind of surprised it passed. Comments I've read.... hippies will be coming here by the bus full, if someone had to live here they'd want to get stoned too, etc.

There's a medical marijuana dispensary out where I live and it's turned out to be no big deal. Now an individual person will only be able to grow 6 plants, so in the long run I don't know if it will make that much difference or not.

I remember when we couldn't even get Coors beer this side of the Rockies.

And had to cross state lines to buy firecrackers. And certain adult beverages at retail stores instead of at state liquor stores. It's a world gone mad.

had to cross state lines to buy firecrackers. And certain adult beverages at retail stores instead of at state liquor stores. It's a world gone mad.

More a case of states looking for new revenue streams. Here liquor and tobacco products are taxed out the kazoo. The "so called theory" being that the high taxes would force people to not indulge. Hasn't stopped people from buying so far. Marijuana is about to be legalized with what I assume will be an equally outrageous tax.

Pot is now legal here. I'm kind of surprised it passed. Comments I've read.... hippies will be coming here by the bus full, if someone had to live here they'd want to get stoned too, etc.

There's a medical marijuana dispensary out where I live and it's turned out to be no big deal. Now an individual person will only be able to grow 6 plants, so in the long run I don't know if it will make that much difference or not.

I remember when we couldn't even get Coors beer this side of the Rockies.

And had to cross state lines to buy firecrackers. And certain adult beverages at retail stores instead of at state liquor stores. It's a world gone mad.
Pot shops legally opened in Ontario in early 2019. They spread like measles. Most towns are now over-vendored. Booze sales are still limited to provincially-run liquor stores. Huge change in 2015 when beer sales finally came to supermarkets, breaking the old restriction to provincial/brewer-run beer stores and liquor stores.

Yeah, Smoke, they always tax the 'fun' stuff the most don't they? I think you're right it's a good bit about the revenue from those 'luxury' items.

Guess there will be no more reason for people to cross the border from our part of the tristate area to the other two states, who were the ones making money from such sales.

Heck they even sell fancy schmancy 'moonshine' these days if you can call it that.

Yeah, Smoke, they always tax the 'fun' stuff the most don't they? I think you're right it's a good bit about the revenue from those 'luxury' items.

Guess there will be no more reason for people to cross the border from our part of the tristate area to the other two states, who were the ones making money from such sales.

Heck they even sell fancy schmancy 'moonshine' these days if you can call it that.
Here in North Texas we had wet and dry cities, and folks would just drive the next community over and buy their liquor there. Then one day, the dry cities suddenly realized all of their potential tax revenue was going out of "town." Now most communities are wet, and now we have places like Total Wine & More, which is like a candy store for imbibers. Cheers! 🍷

we had wet and dry cities, and folks would jus
The county that our lake retreat is located in is dry. However its located less than 10 miles from the county seat which is not only wet, but sells liquor in package stores on Sunday. If I buy alcohol and transport it back to my place I'm bootlegging until I'm on my property. However they will overlook it as long as it's transported in the trunk and doesn't exceed certain quantity limits. I can posses alcohol (within quantity limits) and openly consume within the boundaries of my property, but if I step on my dock over the water, with any amount of alcohol I can be ticketed. It's crazy.

Last edited:
Making it legal does not always have the intended consequences.

In CA they taxed it do death, allowed local opt out by counties, all of which drove the price up higher than the black market. Licensed growers and stores quit the program in droves, tax revenue never materialized. The program costs more to run than it returns in taxes.

AK on the other hand just treats it the same as alcohol, and the cost went down which drove out the black market, tax revenue went up. And nobody pays it any attention anymore.

Happy Friday, hosers. Whatever you imbibe this weekend, be safe, and keep it legal. ;)

Off to go hunt up a bottle of red to go with dinner. Finally getting a new TV delivered and wall mounted tomorrow. I personally don't care much for wall mounts, but the previous owners of this house did - and we're tired of looking at the 2" hole neatly drilled into the wall above our credenza. :lol: Too low to cover with a picture, too. Ick.

I'm envious, Dr says alcohol and all the good things to eat are off my list.....indefinitely. 😣
That stinks! You have all that homemade wine to get through.

Hopefully you'll be able to wow him with consecutive good test results, and he'll ease up after that.

That stinks! You have all that homemade wine to get through.

Hopefully you'll be able to wow him with consecutive good test results, and he'll ease up after that.

Yup, Thanksgiving, Christmas and all the munchies, are going to be hard on a 1400 calorie/day diet. The good thing is I can at least enjoy some Turkey.

The past 6 weeks have been crazy busy. Three photo sessions with a vacation in the middle and several basketball game photos. I haven't done much editing on my vacation photos. Maybe by January??
The youngest grand was in town this past week for a quick visit. We did her Thanksgiving and Xmas photos with a total of 6 outfit changes in two days. I have my xmas set up and she would be lost in the set so I improvised and moved a few things around. For this photo I hung a blanket over a bench for the backdrop and she is on the bobby pillow. This photo was between outfit changes and I liked the tutu
110923_030smW.jpg

The past 6 weeks have been crazy busy. Three photo sessions with a vacation in the middle and several basketball game photos. I haven't done much editing on my vacation photos. Maybe by January??
The youngest grand was in town this past week for a quick visit. We did her Thanksgiving and Xmas photos with a total of 6 outfit changes in two days. I have my xmas set up and she would be lost in the set so I improvised and moved a few things around. For this photo I hung a blanket over a bench for the backdrop and she is on the bobby pillow. This photo was between outfit changes and I liked the tutu
View attachment 269894
Cutie pie!!! She has a winning smile!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back