What's new

The Coffee House


Snickers - rainbow bridge by Cheryl, on Flickr

Sadly Snickers has crossed the rainbow bridge after a brief illness. He was a happy pup and grateful that we got an extra month with him. January he would have turned 12.
Will raise a glass to the dear old mutt tonight. Sorry.
 
My Winter challenge is called Seasonal Affective Disorder (aka depression). I have plenty to keep me occupied, just lose motivation to keep occupied sometimes.
I enjoy the winter downtime but the lack of daylight after 4/5pm is brutal. I have one of those daylight lamps and it helps. I use it when I’m painting.

Jan - March are hardest for me with lack of sun. Those months I watch tutorials or take an online class, clean up my computer files, and have a few household jobs lined up. I have a gallon of paint waiting for me to touch up the baseboards.
Same here! This year I have a few pieces of furniture I’m going to be refreshing. Be careful with the baseboard touch up! A few years ago during Covid lockdowns I decided to touch up the trim in the kitchen which led to painting the kitchen which led to replacing the light fixtures in the kitchen and hallway which led to painting the hallway which led to painting the living room which led to buying all new curtains which led to buying new furniture which led to buying new area rugs! It’s a slippery slope.

RE the SAD. have you tried the sun lamps?
Winter Does my joints in, but that’s when I do my table top photography, well normally I have just moved to look after my mother and still in the “ oh hell I can’t find a thing” stage.
The lamps work! I enjoy tabletop macro stuff. What items are you shooting?

Disappointed yesterday drive through some of my favorite photo ops in the smokies. Virtually no color, just brown, as far as the eye could see. The drought here is bad, they issued a no burn alert earlier this week. Calling fo a little tain tomorrow, but it'll be to little, to late for fall color.
We had a very brown and dull fall here as well. I hope this isn’t the new global warming normal.

We’re hosting this year, though it’s only three of us. MLSIL is being relesed from work three hours early on Wednesday so she’ll drive down then.

We’re deep frying the bird, making cranberry sauce (chunky, of course), mashed potatoes, asparagus, chicken and sausage jambalaya, and I’m making crème brûlée. MLSIL is making The pumpkin pie.
I’m hosting as well. 12 of us this year. I think our peak was 27 before the young adults all started moving away or forming their own families. Now they rotate between us and their in-laws or have to choose between travel home at thanksgiving or Christmas due to work commitments and the expense. I miss the crowded loud gatherings but managing dinner for 12 is a lot easier.
 

Snickers - rainbow bridge by Cheryl, on Flickr

Sadly Snickers has crossed the rainbow bridge after a brief illness. He was a happy pup and grateful that we got an extra month with him. January he would have turned 12.

So sorry Cheryl. It’s hard to say goodbye to our most loyal and loving companions. I’ve enjoyed his personality in your photos over the years. I know you gave him a wonderful life and a loving home.
 
Last edited:
Be careful with the baseboard touch up! A few years ago during Covid lockdowns I decided to touch up the trim in the kitchen which led to painting the kitchen which led to replacing the light fixtures in the kitchen and hallway which led to painting the hallway which led to painting the living room which led to buying all new curtains which led to buying new furniture which led to buying new area rugs! It’s a slippery slope.
:biglaugh:

But, but....it all looks great! Despite your wallet being so much lighter!
 
It's good to know that we aren't the only ones who seem to step on that slippery slope with home projects. LOL
 
I enjoy the winter downtime but the lack of daylight after 4/5pm is brutal. I have one of those daylight lamps and it helps. I use it when I’m painting.
I have a 10,000 lux therapy lamp on my wish list for my family, so hopefully they'll get the hint, and we'll find out if they are effective. I've read that 10,000 lux for about an hour a day is helpful with mood disorders.
 
I have a 10,000 lux therapy lamp on my wish list for my family, so hopefully they'll get the hint, and we'll find out if they are effective. I've read that 10,000 lux for about an hour a day is helpful with mood disorders.
I've heard the same thing about 2 fingers of self-administered Chivas...
 
Same here! This year I have a few pieces of furniture I’m going to be refreshing. Be careful with the baseboard touch up! A few years ago during Covid lockdowns I decided to touch up the trim in the kitchen which led to painting the kitchen which led to replacing the light fixtures in the kitchen and hallway which led to painting the hallway which led to painting the living room which led to buying all new curtains which led to buying new furniture which led to buying new area rugs! It’s a slippery slope.
One job begats another job! We usually do one big project a year with maybe a few smaller ones. Last year had the landscaping out front refreshed. The bushes had reached the point of no more trimming. This year we took an extra road trip to visit grands with the budget.
 
I had two photo sessions this week for friends' grands. The little 4yo that I took Fall photos a few weeks ago so now she is warming up to me. We should have got video because she was singing and dancing. Good thing my props in the set are kid friendly.

The 10yo the next day and takes direction great. He is very funny too. I had him stand with body facing a little to the side and told him to then turn his head facing me. Well the kid did a head swivel and grinned. Looked just like the Chucky doll! Good laughs from Mom and grandmother! After posing him a few times I tell him model's choice which he said he loves model's choice. A real ham!

Waiting for my own grands availability. With the 3 girls they have sports and clubs, friends, etc. We may wait this year until the end of the month when other daughter and grands are in town.
 
@cgw If two fingers doesnt work repeat as necessary until it either works or you no longer care.😁

@CherylL I have Cristmas set coming up and haven't a clue what I'll do.
 
Last edited:
Trying to sort studio space for future projects. Difficult to find smallish, private spaces now that I'm outside Toronto. So many right-size, pass-coded spots there at fair prices with good amenities--dressing rooms, washrooms, natural light areas and robust industrial wiring.
 
Hosers. The apple pie came out of the oven about an hour ago. My whole house smells like baked apples and cinnamon. :586:
 
Apple and pumpkin pie came out of the bags. Deep fryer set up (inside electric type). I’ll knock out crème brûlée in the morning, and jambalaya after that. I’m probably going to roast the asparagus.
 
Happy Thanksgiving to our USA hosers! Skipping the football game today as it’s not a home game for the local HS team. Getting to/from the next town over is not difficult but it’s just not feasible when I’m hosting.

I’m just about to rearrange some furniture so I can set up the tables and then watch the parade. I have two desserts to finish making this morning. Boston Cream cake needs to be assembled and frosted, then I can get the cookie bars into the oven. The traditional Thanksgiving pies are being brought by our guests.

Today’s Thanksgiving special cocktail will be Prickly Pear martinis.

For those not in the US - have fun at work today. 🤣🤣🤣
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom