What's new

The Coffee House

You broke out the sketchbook! And the watercolor pencils! :icon_cheers:

Maybe this winter we'll get the old Pastels and Watercolors forum rolling again.

My move put a lot of art time on hold. *sniffle*
I am traveling light so no camera except phone and no time for sightseeing. Maybe I can squeeze in another sketch or two before heading back to “Bawlmer” Saturday morning.

That would be great.

I found the good acrylics and the pencils but good watercolors and brushes are still MIA.
 
Winter kinda screws me up, a lot of my hobbies are warmer months based and I guess I don't really have a hobby for winter.
My Winter challenge is called Seasonal Affective Disorder (aka depression). I have plenty to keep me occupied, just lose motivation to keep occupied sometimes.
 
My Winter challenge is called Seasonal Affective Disorder (aka depression). I have plenty to keep me occupied, just lose motivation to keep occupied sometimes.
Jan - March are hardest for me with lack of sun. Those months I watch tutorials or take an online class, clean up my computer files, and have a few household jobs lined up. I have a gallon of paint waiting for me to touch up the baseboards.
 
My Winter challenge is called Seasonal Affective Disorder (aka depression). I have plenty to keep me occupied, just lose motivation to keep occupied sometimes.
I'm glad I'm not susceptible to that. It's apparently pretty common. Frankly, summer is such a busy time outside, with gardening and plant watering and grass cutting, etc., that winter is a lovely break.

I do get kinda antsy for spring by about mid-March. I love getting a new garden started every year! But those few months of being able to focus on art and other indoor projects are welcome. Snuggling in. :586:
 
RE the SAD. have you tried the sun lamps?
Winter Does my joints in, but that’s when I do my table top photography, well normally I have just moved to look after my mother and still in the “ oh hell I can’t find a thing” stage.
 
RE the SAD. have you tried the sun lamps?
Winter Does my joints in, but that’s when I do my table top photography, well normally I have just moved to look after my mother and still in the “ oh hell I can’t find a thing” stage.
I was thinking about a sun lamp for my workstation. Some of my plants would enjoy it as well, I think.
 
I guess an over-supply of distractions outside work keep SAD at bay north of the border. Always a long list of seasonal chores that need attention. The pandemic turned lots of us into reluctant "preppers." Food, booze, fuel, batteries, power banks, more booze, generators, updated vax docs all sorted. My 'hood is nice for its willingness to cope with the worst winter throws at us by digging each other out. Blizzards usually occasion post-storm driveway BBQs along the block. This stuff keeps my head above water till spring.
 
I can understand how you all feel, it's just all reversed for me. Summer SAD is a real thing. Winter is when I finally get some relief. Summer is just so harsh. The daylight goes on far too long, it's too hot, and it's way too loud. April and May aren't too bad because at least the nights cool off nicely, but I can't really fully enjoy it because I know hell is on its way. I despise the sun for a good chunk of the year. I am so glad I can finally go out for walks and enjoy the outside and a bit of sun, knowing that I won't burst into flames and that it isn't going to still be light at 9:00 at night.
 
Disappointed yesterday drive through some of my favorite photo ops in the smokies. Virtually no color, just brown, as far as the eye could see. The drought here is bad, they issued a no burn alert earlier this week. Calling fo a little tain tomorrow, but it'll be to little, to late for fall color.
 
-20 and a foot of snow time to go camping!
:eek-73: That would be a hard No from me! I do like to bundle up and go for a walk in chilly air, especially when there's little to no wind, but to pitch a tent and sleep in it? That's a bridge too far, bro.

I'd rather get home and have hot chocolate or wine by the fire. :lol:
 
Disappointed yesterday drive through some of my favorite photo ops in the smokies. Virtually no color, just brown, as far as the eye could see. The drought here is bad, they issued a no burn alert earlier this week. Calling fo a little tain tomorrow, but it'll be to little, to late for fall color.
That's too bad - typically this is the best time for leaf action down there. :( I didn't know it was that dry this fall.
 
I can understand how you all feel, it's just all reversed for me. Summer SAD is a real thing. Winter is when I finally get some relief. Summer is just so harsh. The daylight goes on far too long, it's too hot, and it's way too loud. April and May aren't too bad because at least the nights cool off nicely, but I can't really fully enjoy it because I know hell is on its way. I despise the sun for a good chunk of the year. I am so glad I can finally go out for walks and enjoy the outside and a bit of sun, knowing that I won't burst into flames and that it isn't going to still be light at 9:00 at night.
I never used to feel this way but for the last three summers we have had extreme heat (for me?) here in the UK to cope with. I seem to have a built in optimum operating temperature of no more than around 18-20 degrees Celcius but the wife likes it a lot warmer. I love autumn and spring for long walks, but summer is as you say too harsh, especially to go out taking photographs. Days like we had yesterday are great, wide blue skies, a temp around 12-14 C , no wind and great light, so I spent most of the day roaming the Essex Marshlands with the camera
 
That's too bad - typically this is the best time for leaf action down there. :( I didn't know it was that dry this fall.
Typically fall color could be last of Oct into Nov. We've had a crazy fall, warmer than usual and a whole lot drier. Most of the trees went from green to brown, with nothing in between. Even the mountain Laurel is a dirty green.
 
:eek-73: That would be a hard No from me! I do like to bundle up and go for a walk in chilly air, especially when there's little to no wind, but to pitch a tent and sleep in it? That's a bridge too far, bro.

I'd rather get home and have hot chocolate or wine by the fire. :lol:
Mmmmmmm! Hot chocolate spiked with brandy!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom