What's new

The Coffee House

You should never look a gift horse in the mouth, but some times....... My daughter sent me a nice gift card to one of the big camera stores (not B&H), back a couple weeks before Christmas. I'd just about given up on this store, because so much of the time the stuff I wanted was overpriced, out of stock or had long lead times. Such was the case when I started trying to find something this time. Though I didn't really need it, I finally found a nice camera bag (they claimed was in stock). I ended up having to put a little money with the card, despite the fact that the same bag was $30 cheaper on Amazon.

First they delayed the order, claimed they were having problems validating their gift card, then they shipped from somewhere else (probably bought it off Amazon). Finally received the bag yesterday. Almost 4 weeks after the order was placed. Good thing I didn't really need it, and brick & mortar camera stores complain that online only stores are putting them out of business.😒
 
I buy a lot of my small camera stuff off Amazon but I try to look in my ,now not so local, camera shop. Just got a good deal on a canon l series lens. What they are finding is that peeps buy on line then try and take back to them.
or get them to sort out replacement. Mind you I am spoilt , the camera shop phones me when they get something on my wish list and is within the price range I set.
 
Mind you I am spoilt , the camera shop phones me when they get something on my wish list and is within the price range I set

Back in my younger days we had "full service" camera store in town. It had been there forever and provided a good income for 3 generations. Most important they didn't just sell merchandise, it was source of information on anything related to photography. From equipment, supplies, chemicals, processes, they knew it all. There were no returns, because they knew how to sell you the right stuff the first time. It was a decent size store that I could spend hours in just looking, trying, talking to the people. Sadly the 4th generation wasn't interested in continuing.
 
You should never look a gift horse in the mouth, but some times....... My daughter sent me a nice gift card to one of the big camera stores (not B&H), back a couple weeks before Christmas. I'd just about given up on this store, because so much of the time the stuff I wanted was overpriced, out of stock or had long lead times. Such was the case when I started trying to find something this time. Though I didn't really need it, I finally found a nice camera bag (they claimed was in stock). I ended up having to put a little money with the card, despite the fact that the same bag was $30 cheaper on Amazon.

First they delayed the order, claimed they were having problems validating their gift card, then they shipped from somewhere else (probably bought it off Amazon). Finally received the bag yesterday. Almost 4 weeks after the order was placed. Good thing I didn't really need it, and brick & mortar camera stores complain that online only stores are putting them out of business.😒

Please name this store so the rest of us don’t fall prey to them.

Yes, Amazon is frequently cheaper but there are so many counterfeit items that I won’t buy any electronics, health and beauty products or food items on there anymore.
 
Please name this store so the rest of us don’t fall prey to them.

Yes, Amazon is frequently cheaper but there are so many counterfeit items that I won’t buy any electronics, health and beauty products or food items on there anymore.

I think the hint in the post is sufficient to figure out 😉

In the case of the bag, it was the exact same. They aren't that expensive so knocking them off probably wouldn't be very expensive. We've had good success with Amazon and the returns are super easy, we drop it at the UPS store. Unlike a lit of retailers that you have to send back the item then wait days/weeks for a refund.
 
I suspect the store name starts with "A". Does the name of the store contain one or three words?

MLSIL is not coming down to stay this weekend. The weather is supposed to be nasty, tomorrow, and she is starting her smoke cessation program and is afraid of being cranky.
 
I been having a hard time with my hair turning gray, it sounds ridiculous but I just didn't expect it to happen so quickly. I just turned 33 a couple weeks. I started noticing white hair in my beard a year ago but since then it has accelerated so fast and the way it's going, I'm going to be all white at the end of this year lol. I mean there's nothing I can do about it, just the way it is and what better way to embrace it than to let my hair grow out and get a new hairstyle to embrace my hair going gray, maybe I'll look cool 😎
 
If it’s Abe’s they’re a scam. If it’s Adorama I have never had an issue with them.
 
If it’s Abe’s they’re a scam. If it’s Adorama I have never had an issue with them.
Yeah - worked with Adorama before and never had a problem outside some things being on backorder.

I've never done any business with Abe's
 
I been having a hard time with my hair turning gray, it sounds ridiculous but I just didn't expect it to happen so quickly. I just turned 33 a couple weeks. I started noticing white hair in my beard a year ago but since then it has accelerated so fast and the way it's going, I'm going to be all white at the end of this year lol. I mean there's nothing I can do about it, just the way it is and what better way to embrace it than to let my hair grow out and get a new hairstyle to embrace my hair going gray, maybe I'll look cool 😎

I’ve had greys in my hair since my 30’s. The best advice I can give you is that blonde hair hides it better than dark, hence my blonde hair! Seriously though if you don’t like it just color it. There are plenty of at home and salon products aimed at men. Personally, I like a bit of salt and pepper on a guy.
 
I’ve had greys in my hair since my 30’s. The best advice I can give you is that blonde hair hides it better than dark, hence my blonde hair! Seriously though if you don’t like it just color it. There are plenty of at home and salon products aimed at men. Personally, I like a bit of salt and pepper on a guy.

I've always had the same haircut since my early teens. I've just always took clippers and did a simple buzz cut and I feel like maybe I should change it up, perhaps it will make me feel more confident. It's something I ever done before. I can go to a barber or hairstylist and have a new look because why not.
 
If it’s Abe’s they’re a scam. If it’s Adorama I have never had an issue with them.
Unfortunately #2. Last couple years haven't been good experiences. Generally go B&H for camera equipment, Amazon for accessories and Paul Buff on lighting. B&H has fast shipping, returns are mostly hassle free, Amazon has the fastest returns, and PB's customer service is outstanding.
 
I been having a hard time with my hair turning gray, it sounds ridiculous but I just didn't expect it to happen so quickly. I just turned 33 a couple weeks. I started noticing white hair in my beard a year ago but since then it has accelerated so fast and the way it's going, I'm going to be all white at the end of this year lol. I mean there's nothing I can do about it, just the way it is and what better way to embrace it than to let my hair grow out and get a new hairstyle to embrace my hair going gray, maybe I'll look cool 😎
Welcome to the world of gray. It can start pretty early. I have the advantage of having light hair, so it's not very visible, but if I try and grow a beard, whoo boy! So I'm clean shaven. As noted, there are a good number of OTC products that can color or hide the gray.
 
I've always had the same haircut since my early teens. I've just always took clippers and did a simple buzz cut and I feel like maybe I should change it up, perhaps it will make me feel more confident. It's something I ever done before. I can go to a barber or hairstylist and have a new look because why not.
I do the same and have become quite proficient at cutting my own hair. I can even leave it longer on the top and it still comes out looking acceptable.
 
The punishing C$/US$ exchange rate has actually simplified things for me. Some makers, like Fuji, actually sold their gear for a time a few years back for the nominal US price in C$--which created a roaring cross-border trade with American buyers hoovering up bargains from Toronto stores. Now it's the old 30% exchange difference which rules out US purchases for most Canadians. I get a 15%+ discount(our sales tax plus a bit)for loyalty, referrals, no drama, and my good looks. Seriously, though, old, stable bricks+mortar stores established in hi-end still+video sales and rentals(Toronto has a huge production economy thanks to the exchange rate)do well enough to afford the occasional fit of generosity that I enjoy.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom