What's new

The Coffee House

The Washington, DC is cosmopolitan, in that many people here are not originally from here. That means we get the worst drivers from everywhere else in the county. Darn few know how to drive in bad weather snd even fewer know to stay the #*%% home when the weather gets ugly.

Tomorrow is the "All Hands On Deck" day at work - everyone is supposed to go to the office. Our director has already waved that for tomorrow as we are under a flooding watch. Safety First. If MLW has to go in, then I'll tag along. We'll definiely take the Jeep.
 
We got 3 inches of rain Friday/Saturday and supposed to get another 3 inches tomorrow. Good thing I’ve got a boat.
 
In March 93 we were hit with a freak snow storm that dump 18" of snow over night in our area. Then the temps dropped and the wind picked up causing drifts that made roads impassable. The combination of snow and wind felled pine trees on power lines everywhere. Our state follows the God Rule (what he puts down he'll take away). After threes days warming temps had most roads open, but it took 7 days for power to be restored.
 
Last edited:
I can understand the toilet paper, but I never got the bread and milk thing. If I'm going to get snowed in, I want steaks and beer!
If power goes out for a few days then the sandwiches are an easier option than the steaks. Especially for those in apartments that don’t have a gas grill in the yard. Here in New England, I think we have ptsd from the Blizzard of 78 so the bread shelves are always empty before a storm. Not to totally out my age but I remember we ran out of food that didn’t need to be cooked and stores were out of everything. We ended up walking to my uncles house a few miles away because he had power. We had to stay with him for a week before we could go home.


Good morning, hosers. No snow, just a bunch of rain.
We have an appointment with MVA this afternoon to have mom's car titled in our name, thewn it gets "sold" to a neighbor. He wants to go back to work as a school bus driver and asked about the car, a while back. I'm basically giving it to him so he can use whatever money he would buy it for and put into any repairs needed.

I got a "pro" set of watercolors - 12 half pans (about 1"x1") plus three additional colors, some paper, and a few brushes.

Oooh do tell more about the brand and colors! I’m itching to paint but after redoing my dining room I need to find a new place to work as I don’t want to risk my new rug when I “splatter” the painting at the end!

No snow for us, just rain and cold with temps in the high 30's to 40's. Next week we get the arctic blast, lows down to 21 😞

We’re expecting that rain up here on Wednesday. They’re predicting high winds as well and there are concerns about downed trees as the ground is really saturated after all the rain we had in summer and fall.
 
The men in the mountain have been playing nine pins today (t-storms for those not familiar with the Rip Van Winkel story). Dogs wanted to go out, so I let them. The first ran out into the middle of the lawn then looked back at me like I had betrayed her. I just opened the door. The second went to the edge of the patio and decided she wasn't going out in that and came back to the door.

Around here we get more ice than snow, which is extremely treacherous to drive on, but that doesn't stop Bubba and his 4x4 thinking he's invincible, until Mother Nature smacks him down and sends him into the ditch. Unfortunately, that often ends up causing problems for other drivers who were on the road for one reason or another who were trying to take it slowly.
 
o totally out my age but I remember we ran out of food that didn’t need to be cooked and stores were out

We were fortunate that we had a fireplace that kept the kitchen and family room warm. Unfortunately we had an electric stove, however DW rose to the challenge by learning to cook on a kerosene heater or fireplace.😁
 
We are prepared in that we were once avid tent campers, and have a full camp kitchen with a propane stove. We also have gas heat and a gas stove, so power outages will be dark, but we should still be warm. We escaped the massive TX power outages of Feb 2021 due to being near a pumping station on the same grid, but that is no guarantee.
 
We got a few inches the other night and it melted the next day. Tonight into tomorrow expecting snow again. We went to the store today, our usual day, and it was super busy. A run on milk! Only had 2%. I drink skim and in a pinch I add water to the 2%. My husband made a trip to a different store for me and found skim.

Bread, milk, and eggs are the go to buys before a big storm. Not sure why that combo.
 
We got a few inches the other night and it melted the next day. Tonight into tomorrow expecting snow again. We went to the store today, our usual day, and it was super busy. A run on milk! Only had 2%. I drink skim and in a pinch I add water to the 2%. My husband made a trip to a different store for me and found skim.

Bread, milk, and eggs are the go to buys before a big storm. Not sure why that combo.
Because French Toast...
 
Before I moved from hayling I used to get power loss on a regular basis, the sub station is right by the sea. So I have a petrol gen unit and solar panels.like jeff I used to camp so have just in case kit.
 
If power goes out for a few days then the sandwiches are an easier option than the steaks. Especially for those in apartments that don’t have a gas grill in the yard. Here in New England, I think we have ptsd from the Blizzard of 78 so the bread shelves are always empty before a storm. Not to totally out my age but I remember we ran out of food that didn’t need to be cooked and stores were out of everything. We ended up walking to my uncles house a few miles away because he had power. We had to stay with him for a week before we could go home.
That makes sense. I guess I'm lucky in that I don't ever remember losing powerfor more than a few hours, and I really only recall losing power due to snow once. Maybe in part because we just don't get that much snow in this area.

Oooh do tell more about the brand and colors! I’m itching to paint but after redoing my dining room I need to find a new place to work as I don’t want to risk my new rug when I “splatter” the painting at the end!
My typical pallet starts out with a cool and warm primaries, one or two greens, a few earth tones/browns, black, and white (for acrylics or oils): I went with Daniel Smith's 12-color half pan set and add a cool green (Phthalo green blue shade), Jane's grey, and Lunar black). The set has Hansa Yellow Light (cool yellow), Medium and Deep (warm yellow); Quinacridone Rose (cool red), Pyrrol Scarlet (warm red); Cerulean (cool/light blue); Ultramarine (warm blue); sap green (warm); yellow ochre (a bit warmer than Hansa deep), burnt sienna (mid brown); raw umber (darker brown); and Buff Titanium (yellow off-white). The metal case has 24 spaces and included 12 empty half pans so I can pour colors from tubes. I'll probably add a few more as the need arises.

I also picked up six Princeton 4050 brushes: #2, #6, and #12 Round; a 1/2" angled wash; 3/4" flat wash; and a #2 liner. I rounded it off with a #6 round (Blick brand Golden Taklon) to keep with the watercolor pencils. I may splurge and pick up a real Kominsky sable before I retire.
 
Last edited:
I'm sitting here and while sipping on my coffee I started thinking to myself how I regret selling my Fujifilm X100V. While it had quirks, man that camera was fun to use and I brought it with me everywhere where as my camera now essentially sits home most of the time 🥲

And the fact that it has doubled in price on the used market....I could've made a profit 🤣
 
I'm sitting here and while sipping on my coffee I started thinking to myself how I regret selling my Fujifilm X100V. While it had quirks, man that camera was fun to use and I brought it with me everywhere where as my camera now essentially sits home most of the time 🥲

And the fact that it has doubled in price on the used market....I could've made a profit 🤣

I sold my small Fuji XF10 and regretted it pretty quickly. I hadn’t been using it but now I frequently think oh it would be perfect for this situation. The iPhone raw files had me fooled into thinking it would be enough and it’s not ever as good as I know I could have gotten with the XF10. The good news is that it really held its value so I got a great price for it.
 
Currently raining at 1 inch per hour, winds 15 gusts to 30. Governor declared state of emergency. Hold on to your hat.

Screenshot_20240109_150949_DuckDuckGo.webp
 
Currently raining at 1 inch per hour, winds 15 gusts to 30. Governor declared state of emergency. Hold on to your hat.

View attachment 270987
My sister is a teacher in the Richmond, VA area, and they closed the schools out of precaution due to the amount of rain, the high winds, and the threat of roads being flooded. They don't need a bus full of kids to be washed away. Stay safe.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom