What's new

The Coffee House

I tore my Xmas set down and packed up the filler items. I will set up again for a photo session later this month for a friend's grand. One of my daughter's friends asked if I would do their photos next xmas. I do this as a hobby for family and friends. I don't mind a couple extra people, but I don't want to be swamped then it will not be fun. I told my daughter that I would photo her friend's family of 4.

Daughter's co-worker saw my composites this year on FB. Daughter asked if I could do a composite for her. It was a low rez cell phone shot and I did my best telling her it was low rez. Then the co-worker wanted a 2nd one which I did do since I had time that day. When asked for a 3rd one I said no. Usually it takes me an hour for each and maybe a few hours depending on the composite. I could do a quick and dirty cut out and not worry about shading, etc, but that isn't how I create.

Here are 2 of my favorites of the grands

2023BrynCandyLandwwSMALL.webp
2023GrandsZipLinewwSMALL.webp
 
I do this as a hobby for family and friends. I don't mind a couple extra people, but I don't want to be swamped then it will not be fun.
Most of what I do now is for fun, if it's not family/friends, I'll charge my going rates. The problem around here is that there's a lot of "wannabes" with a camera, who fancy themselves as photographers and charge ridiculously low rates. Generally they're SOC JPEGS with little if any processing and no supplemental lighting in the product.

I follow a production model on processing, lot of standardized procedures and copy past goes on. Still it's easy to wrap up 15 mins per image or more with simple PS editing. That's one of the reasons, I've started to shy away from composting, they're just way to time consuming.(especially if you're working with a large set).
 
"Daughter's co-worker saw my composites this year on FB. Daughter asked if I could do a composite for her. It was a low rez cell phone shot and I did my best telling her it was low rez. Then the co-worker wanted a 2nd one which I did do since I had time that day. When asked for a 3rd one I said no. Usually it takes me an hour for each and maybe a few hours depending on the composite. I could do a quick and dirty cut out and not worry about shading, etc, but that isn't how I create."

Quicksand...Funny how our time gets valuated relative to others', especially by those who stretch a favor into some sort of obligation. Hate that.
 
Most of what I do now is for fun, if it's not family/friends, I'll charge my going rates. The problem around here is that there's a lot of "wannabes" with a camera, who fancy themselves as photographers and charge ridiculously low rates. Generally they're SOC JPEGS with little if any processing and no supplemental lighting in the product.

I follow a production model on processing, lot of standardized procedures and copy past goes on. Still it's easy to wrap up 15 mins per image or more with simple PS editing. That's one of the reasons, I've started to shy away from composting, they're just way to time consuming.(especially if you're working with a large set).
Compositing takes a long time to get the color, tone & light to match. One of my composites from last year of the grands took over 20 hours. Lots of cutting out & hair transplants and photographing the elements for the background.

There are hundreds of photographers around here. People will post for recommendations on the community pages and have to turn off comments with all of the replies. One recently said they were a professional photographer and has done weddings for 20 years. She was called out on that and it did get a little testy.
 
Quicksand...Funny how our time gets valuated relative to others', especially by those who stretch a favor into some sort of obligation. Hate that.
Agree! I've been burned by a few extended family and an old friend. Once I was asked to shoot a wedding for someone's adult child. I declined because I don't have the experience or equipment. They offered $300 for me to buy something. And to add insult to injury I was not invited to the wedding. It was a huge 300 person wedding with a buffet so 2 more people really??

I am picky on who I do favors for. I get asked to transfer old vhs to dvd (which I had a business doing that 2 decades ago) or scan and retouch an old photo.
 
I tore my Xmas set down and packed up the filler items. I will set up again for a photo session later this month for a friend's grand. One of my daughter's friends asked if I would do their photos next xmas. I do this as a hobby for family and friends. I don't mind a couple extra people, but I don't want to be swamped then it will not be fun. I told my daughter that I would photo her friend's family of 4.

Daughter's co-worker saw my composites this year on FB. Daughter asked if I could do a composite for her. It was a low rez cell phone shot and I did my best telling her it was low rez. Then the co-worker wanted a 2nd one which I did do since I had time that day. When asked for a 3rd one I said no. Usually it takes me an hour for each and maybe a few hours depending on the composite. I could do a quick and dirty cut out and not worry about shading, etc, but that isn't how I create.

Here are 2 of my favorites of the grands

View attachment 270842View attachment 270843

Agree! I've been burned by a few extended family and an old friend. Once I was asked to shoot a wedding for someone's adult child. I declined because I don't have the experience or equipment. They offered $300 for me to buy something. And to add insult to injury I was not invited to the wedding. It was a huge 300 person wedding with a buffet so 2 more people really??

I am picky on who I do favors for. I get asked to transfer old vhs to dvd (which I had a business doing that 2 decades ago) or scan and retouch an old photo.

Love these! As for the freebies - it’s pretty ballsy for people to ask/expect anyone to do for anything for free. What nerve to come back for seconds and then ask for thirds!

I’ve been convinced a few times to shoot a Christmas card photo or some portraits for a friend. Regretted it every time. It’s not my area, I don’t enjoy it and I won’t do it again.
 
These are great, Cheryl! You do such intricate composites. There's a reason people notice your work (and try to take advantage!). ;)

Nothing like car troubles to start the New Year. Smooth car sailing the remainder of the year.
You said it! So far we're in it for about $2K. And we still don't have it back yet - hopefully by midday tomorrow. *sniffle*

Can't complain too much, it's a 12+ year old car and we've been lucky to have very few issues with it. It's time to start hearing about things like water pumps, I guess. Icky.
 
It was a low rez cell phone shot and I did my best telling her it was low rez. Then the co-worker wanted a 2nd one which I did do since I had time that day. When asked for a 3rd one I said no. Usually it takes me an hour for each and maybe a few hours depending on the composite. I could do a quick and dirty cut out and not worry about shading, etc, but that isn't how I create.
I can feel you there...
When you're more like a perfectionist, some other people seem mediocre-minded, or seem to be happy with superficial results, it's hard to lower your standards and deliver less quality.
I can't do that neither, always aiming for the best I can if possible.
Why waste expertise when you have the ability to do more.
 
Love these! As for the freebies - it’s pretty ballsy for people to ask/expect anyone to do for anything for free. What nerve to come back for seconds and then ask for thirds!

I’ve been convinced a few times to shoot a Christmas card photo or some portraits for a friend. Regretted it every time. It’s not my area, I don’t enjoy it and I won’t do it again.
Thanks! Good point on coming back for seconds and thirds. I didn't get a thanks either.

I enjoy portrait sessions for friends/ family and prefer summer natural light. I've turned down people that wanted me to take portraits in their living room. I don't know what light they have streaming in and I don't want to pack up my light gear. A few sessions a year is fun. Hats off to photographers that do this all year and offer the holiday mini sessions.

Thanks @terri . I need to get better at saying no. Glad your car is almost fixed.

@Dikkie Agree! I am a perfectionist and sometimes it is to my detriment. ;)
 
Wow @CherylL - can’t believe they never said thank you.
 
Wow @CherylL - can’t believe they never said thank you.
Pretty odd behavior, considering they obviously like her work!

The car is done - new rear brakes, water pump, regulator, and something called an expansion tank. Glad it's done; we were getting low on coffee! :lol:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom