What's new

The Coffee House

Considering trading my Nikon Z6II in for the Zf 😅

(I'm losing my mind)
 
Looked bad early a.m. and got worse by early afternoon. Rain followed and turned it all into a Slurpee-like mess. At least temps will be above freezing overnight. More later in the week. Can't wait!
 
We're starting to feel like Forest Gump's Box of Chocolate. Heavy rain last night, it was 60 this morning early, dropped to 54 by lunch and has been falling like a rock, just hit 40. Now they're saying there's sleet and snow just north of us headed our way.
 
We're starting to feel like Forest Gump's Box of Chocolate. Heavy rain last night, it was 60 this morning early, dropped to 54 by lunch and has been falling like a rock, just hit 40. Now they're saying there's sleet and snow just north of us headed our way.

That’s a recipe for black ice under the snow, be careful.
 

Back when I was staying in a house I bought a bird house like that with the intention of staining it and converting it into a diorama scene of a small log cabin dwellers. I never got around to it, but I still have the bird house somewhere.
 
That makes sense. I guess I'm lucky in that I don't ever remember losing powerfor more than a few hours, and I really only recall losing power due to snow once. Maybe in part because we just don't get that much snow in this area.


My typical pallet starts out with a cool and warm primaries, one or two greens, a few earth tones/browns, black, and white (for acrylics or oils): I went with Daniel Smith's 12-color half pan set and add a cool green (Phthalo green blue shade), Jane's grey, and Lunar black). The set has Hansa Yellow Light (cool yellow), Medium and Deep (warm yellow); Quinacridone Rose (cool red), Pyrrol Scarlet (warm red); Cerulean (cool/light blue); Ultramarine (warm blue); sap green (warm); yellow ochre (a bit warmer than Hansa deep), burnt sienna (mid brown); raw umber (darker brown); and Buff Titanium (yellow off-white). The metal case has 24 spaces and included 12 empty half pans so I can pour colors from tubes. I'll probably add a few more as the need arises.
These colors sound fabulous! I'm familiar with most of them, but have never heard of Jane's gray. I have Payne's gray in oil pastels, very dark steel blue gray. Are they similar?


I’m itching to paint but after redoing my dining room I need to find a new place to work as I don’t want to risk my new rug when I “splatter” the painting at the end!
Someone has to do something soon, so we can revive our little thread in The Creative Corner!
 
I'm so tired this morning. We had a rather nasty snow storm come through late last night and the problem is that the wind was blowing really hard so it was causing snow drifts in the drive way..one spot was 2 feet high!! But it was starting to warm, supposed to be 46 today and rain. What happens to that much snow with rain and warm weather? It becomes a huge mess to clean up so I got my butt outside and plowed the drive way about 10pm last night and shoveled a lot of the snow away before it got warm in the middle of the night.

On the brightside, it made me sleep pretty good considering I did 3 mile run earlier in the day and lifted weights. I'm wore out! But I thought it was a good tactical decision.

I mean it was kinda fun I guess.

 
Last edited:
The end of an era, all over the news. Alabama Coach Nick Saban is retiring
 
Sloppy stuff was just wet early a.m. but went solid by late aft. as temps dropped and wind increased. Slapping on the Yaktrax tomorrow. Craploads of snow on Fri-Sat.

My much-missed Brit MIL always said: "Bloody January again!"

 
These colors sound fabulous! I'm familiar with most of them, but have never heard of Jane's gray. I have Payne's gray in oil pastels, very dark steel blue gray. Are they similar?
Payne’s grey is available in a tube so I would have to pour it into the pan. I may add it later. Jane’s is a bit warmer and not as dark. It’s made from Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna while Payne’s is derived from Ultramarine and Ivory Black.

I’lol put together a color chart this week and post it in the Wstercolr and Pastels thread. I also picked up a book on pastels.
 
We had quite a bit of rail yesterday and last night; a few people rescued in the County. We were fine, a little water pooling on the front porch and patio but nowhere near close to coming in the house. The power never flickered as far as so know,
 
Tonight's forecast is rain with thunder. The 8 to 12 inches of snow expected is just north and west of us. Filling up the feeders today. May get a little snow this weekend when it is 10 degrees.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom