What's new

The Coffee House

I've been trying to get the fireplace mantle completed. The trim is built and the first round of sanding done. I need to sand the olivewood, attach the two, then apply the finish.

The dovetail bit that came with the jig isn't long enough for 3/4" stock. I picked up another bit, but the jig isn't working as expected - I actually hit the base with the bit and toree I nice gouge in the aluminum. I'm not spending any more time trying to get the dovetials to work out, so I just made mitered joints with some finishing brads to help the glue. One is a bit sloppy - maybe I need to get a compound miter saw to supplement the table saw. ;)

I'll use some pocket holes and screw the trim to the top from behind, and mount the whole thing to the fireplace. There are some 1x5 boards nailed to the top that I'll screw the mantle assembly in to. I still have to decide whether to plug those scew holes with sycamore to match the trim, or go with someting contrasting, like the swiss pear or walnut.
 
We got a dusting. Currently 10F, with a high of 21F forecasted. Our house was built in '96, so it is fairly well insulated and the faucets are freeze-free. I still cover them each year. The icicle is still growing, which means that there is an active drip that is not freezing. Hmmm
Untitled by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

Untitled by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr
 
I noticed a drip in the back faucet. I guess either the shutoff or the faucet valve needs to be repacked. I have no idea when that was done last, so it may be a challenge getting to the inside of the valve. Lots of penetrating oil, I guess.
 
It's been snowing very lightly since late this morning. Someone at the weather service is saying 1" to 3" :icon_cheers:

We has a mantle (sort of). These are not the final screws, and I still need to put on the tung oil. I'll finish it this coming weekend,
IMG_1004.webp
 
Last edited:
You can keep your snow! lol We've just got bitter cold.

I had covers for two outdoor faucets similar to that but eventually they fell apart. It is rarely this cold to worry about it. Especially the outdoor faucets, I don't do outdoor watering! lol Whatever grows outside does it on its own. Maybe there's a reason there are farms around here, lots of rocks and good drainage etc.

Sounds like the fireplace will be beautiful Charlie and worth the work.
 
I think I saw 3 or 4 snowflakes this morning, lol, then light rain. Now clear skies and low is supposed to be 13 in the morning.

Went and cut the broccoli heads that were bigger than 3 inches just in case this variety is not as cold hardy as advertised.

Going to be in the teens for the low until Friday, brrrrr.
 
Not gonna lie, I'm hoping for enough snow to give me a snow day tomorrow. Which means it's going to be just enough to make for a messy commute, but not enough for a snow day.
 
Not gonna lie, I'm hoping for enough snow to give me a snow day tomorrow. Which means it's going to be just enough to make for a messy commute, but not enough for a snow day.
A friend in northern Ontario says there's winter weather followed by a few months of crappy snowshoeing.
 
Not gonna lie, I'm hoping for enough snow to give me a snow day tomorrow. Which means it's going to be just enough to make for a messy commute, but not enough for a snow day.
My wife just got a call from the school district letting her know school was canceled for tomorrow. The school has a lot of low income students, and many of them don't own warm jackets. The temps will be in the low teens in the morning, and many of the kids have a two mile walk, so the district decided on not having school. I can't even imagine walking two miles, with wind, and no jacket in below freezing temps.
 
My wife just got a call from the school district letting her know school was canceled for tomorrow. The school has a lot of low income students, and many of them don't own warm jackets. The temps will be in the low teens in the morning, and many of the kids have a two mile walk, so the district decided on not having school. I can't even imagine walking two miles, with wind, and no jacket in below freezing temps.

I'm glad the school took that into consideration and decided to keep the children safe.

I got notice that there will be a delayed opening at 10:00 a.m., so at least there's that. And it might still turn into a cancellation. Fingers crossed it works out one way or another. If the storm ends early and I do go into work, I just hope the roads get cleared well enough that I don't have to drive on ice going home.
 
Hope you get enough snow Leo! Fingers crossed...

Jeff, the large city district near me has in the past cancelled if weather was bitter cold because they have a lot of kids that walk and may not have winter coats. Donated coats are always needed. They were already closed today anyway but don't know about tomorrow.
 
Looks like our snowmagedan failed to materialize. Ended up with about a 1/4" of ice/sleet. Thankfully they missed the low temperature also, 14 instead of 9. Doesn't sound like much difference when you look at 5 degrees difference, but it is when you have to be outside. 8t isn't supposed to get above freezing today, so we may be stuck here. Our driveway is a 1/2 mile long, iced over and steep. 😞
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom