What's new

The Coffee House

I'm really struggling this winter, especially with photography. But I been exercising more recently and trying to watch what I eat. Stepping away from social media has been a real challenge for me and I'm not going to lie, it has affected my motivation to take photos along with all the A.I stuff now. What's the point? I keep asking myself. Who knows.

I've been getting hankering to pick up the guitar again. It's been a long time.
 
I'm really struggling this winter, especially with photography. But I been exercising more recently and trying to watch what I eat. Stepping away from social media has been a real challenge for me and I'm not going to lie, it has affected my motivation to take photos along with all the A.I stuff now. What's the point? I keep asking myself. Who knows.

I've been getting hankering to pick up the guitar again. It's been a long time.
Creativity will always find a way! If you’re not feeling like taking photos then take a break from that! I go through photography phases usually more on than off during spring - fall, then I focus on other things in winter.

Social media can be what you want it to be - entertainment, educational, inspirational, pressure, a waste of time… you get to decide.
 
Just been going through a lot of changes. Trying to figure out what it is that I'm looking for is proving quite difficult. Part of me wants to give up photography but part of me doesn't. I mean I haven't really took any photos in months. I been trying to just let it be and not do anything rash and find something to work on in the meantime because I'd hate to sell my gear and then wish I hadn't and have to waste money buying it all over again haha.
 
No need to sell, just put it aside until inspiration or motivation strikes again!
 
Nerwin I think your photos are better than you realize. AI is the latest thing, after awhile people won't be so impressed with it. No, social media doesn't exactly either, I'm glad I kept mine limited.

And who's taking photos in January anyway? lol Unless you get a photogenic snowfall, all we've gotten is a couple of unimpressive dustings. Otherwise it's just cccold... brrr....
 
It's going to warm up from cloudy 40s to partly sunny 50x, does that count as 1st spring??
 
Nerwin I think your photos are better than you realize. AI is the latest thing, after awhile people won't be so impressed with it. No, social media doesn't exactly either, I'm glad I kept mine limited.

And who's taking photos in January anyway? lol Unless you get a photogenic snowfall, all we've gotten is a couple of unimpressive dustings. Otherwise it's just cccold... brrr....

Thank you. It's cold and been grey here for like nearly a month. I have no idea what sunshine looks like anymore. It's kinda depressing I'm not going to lie. Makes me not want to take pictures honestly.
 
I mean I haven't really took any photos in months. I been trying to just let it be and not do anything rash and find something to work on in the meantime because I'd hate to sell my gear and then wish I hadn't and have to waste money buying it all over again haha.
I sold off the bulk of my photography gear about sixteen years ago, keeping mainly the cameras and lenses. Most of them, I've barely touched in years (part of that though, is that I'm an admitted film geek). It's been something I've regretted ever since because getting back "in" has been hard, although I'm cautiously optimistic about being back on my way. With that in mind, I'd personally say, keep your kit, even if you take a break. It'll be there, waiting for you; and when you pick it back up, you won't regret it.

Thank you. It's cold and been grey here for like nearly a month. I have no idea what sunshine looks like anymore. It's kinda depressing I'm not going to lie. Makes me not want to take pictures honestly.
I can understand this, for sure. I lived a bit over fourteen years altogether in interior Alaska, and I can confirm that the lack of sunlight can wear you down. It certainly contributed to my lack of motivation in photography and other hobbies, as well. They do make special lamps (not too expensive) that reproduce the spectrum of sunlight that can help with a couple of hours of exposure a day. I've even found that spending an hour or two, in a room that's illuminated with bright, daylight-balanced LED bulbs can have a big impact, too, especially if you can arrange them to bounce off the ceilings and high up on the walls all around to create an even, surrounding illumination. I even put an LED strip-light at the top of a window, too, behind the curtain, so it looked like there was sunlight shining in (at least if I wasn't looking directly at it). Never get much of that at home in winter up there.

Might be something worth giving a try.

Edit: for various typos autocorrectos.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like you have SAD. I use these at my work desk and at my painting table. They’re fantastic. Great light to paint by and added bonus they do help with the winter blah feelings. I would not have bought these for myself as I thought it was just a gimmick. My mom mentioned that she had some “sun lights” from a gift swap that she’d never even opened and was going to give them away. I said I’d try them. Much to my surprise they are effective mood and energy boosters. I bought a second set last year.

IMG_6528.webp

IMG_6524.webp
 
I still don't quite understand how these work. I have full spectrum 80watt studio lights, wouldn't that work too? haha.
 
I still don't quite understand how these work. I have full spectrum 80watt studio lights, wouldn't that work too? haha.
The important number is the lux level of the lamp. 10,000 lux is the minimum for a therapeutic effect.

Here is my 10,000 lux lamp. I can lower the light to make it a golden color, like a harvest moon, so some creative photo ideas coming up soon...
Untitled by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr
 
Call me an old fuddy duddy, but regular ole Maxwell House is good to me. Wife orders 2 or 3 brands online and blends them. meh.

I was like you till I tried some single origin good coffee. Now I can't stand the other. With a single origin you can actually taste the notes, and there's no bitter aftertaste.

AI is the latest thing, after awhile people won't be so impressed with it.

To really be creative you have to be open to new ideas and processes. Ive been working in Adobe Firefly to create backgrounds to incorporate in portraits. In the past i could spend hours and $$$, trying to find the right background. Now in a matter of minutes I can describe exactly what I want, shoot against a gray background and lay in custom backgrounds, textures, etc. without a lot of tedious selection and masking.
 
My lights are 2,500 lux each for a combined 5,000 lux which works well for all day exposure. Not sure I could handle 10,000 for long periods. If it’s too bright that would bring on a headache for me.
 
I had a session with my friend's grandson. It was 2 hours with many clothing and prop changes. She wanted photos related to his many activities of baseball, science, trains, stuffed animal collection, etc. Two hours later and I got many keepers. I gave them the option of taking the balloons home or popping them. He enjoyed popping them! I did forget some had confetti so there was a big mess. Easy to vacuum up. I try to have a fun activity with children. Ended up using the balloons for just a few photos.

I made the 11 with AI in PS. Had a heck of a time to get it to look realistic. I couldn't get it to make an eleven. After many attempts with just the number one I was able to work with it in PS. Added shading, size, rotation, and shadow.

012724_011_WEBsmall.webp
 
had a session with my friend's grandson.

There you go again.......upping the game! Love it.

Using AI in conjunction with composting in PS is still in the learning phase for me, but i see tremendous potential.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom