What's new

The Coffee House


And there you have the problem of trying to read about art without having to wade through that crappy writing.

Here, now you too can write badly! PIXMAVEN - The Instant Art Critique Phrase Generator

Just enter a 5-digit number and get your very own "Critical Response to Art Product" (CRAP) sentence. I entered my zip code and it gave me this: "With regard to the issue of content, the internal dynamic of the purity of line notates the exploration of montage elements."
 
Now that is funny. I don't even want to say what my zip code brought up.
 
I remember it being passed around as an actual sheet of paper in grad school many moons ago. I'm quite delighted that it found its way online :D
 
O.K., here's mine: "Although I am not a painter, I think that the internal dynamic of the biomorphic forms seems very disturbing in light of the accessibility of the work."
 

And there you have the problem of trying to read about art without having to wade through that crappy writing.

Here, now you too can write badly! PIXMAVEN - The Instant Art Critique Phrase Generator

Just enter a 5-digit number and get your very own "Critical Response to Art Product" (CRAP) sentence. I entered my zip code and it gave me this: "With regard to the issue of content, the internal dynamic of the purity of line notates the exploration of montage elements."
i followed the majority of it. some of the word reference i skipped over (didn't feel like looking it up) but i don't think i missed enough to detract from the general image.
:biggrin-93:


The general gist is art attempted to depict reality, Photography replaced the other arts from having to depict reality. But photography still falls short because of the human element in it.
still says it is the closest to "sharing reality" with the actual subject.
And carries on to cinema depiction and the evolution of realism.

The critique part is the failures of photography to depict reality because of the human component.
 
i followed the majority of it. some of the word reference i skipped over (didn't feel like looking it up) but i don't think i missed enough to detract from the general image.
:biggrin-93:


The general gist is art attempted to depict reality, Photography replaced the other arts from having to depict reality. But photography still falls short because of the human element in it.
still says it is the closest to "sharing reality" with the actual subject.
And carries on to cinema depiction and the evolution of realism.

The critique part is the failures of photography to depict reality because of the human component.

I didn't say I couldn't follow it ;) Just that it would be a LOT easier to read about art if critiques were not so often written in such willfully dense jargon. This article wasn't too bad overall, but it came close in a couple of places to something out of the CRAP generator.
 
i followed the majority of it. some of the word reference i skipped over (didn't feel like looking it up) but i don't think i missed enough to detract from the general image.
:biggrin-93:


The general gist is art attempted to depict reality, Photography replaced the other arts from having to depict reality. But photography still falls short because of the human element in it.
still says it is the closest to "sharing reality" with the actual subject.
And carries on to cinema depiction and the evolution of realism.

The critique part is the failures of photography to depict reality because of the human component.

I didn't say I couldn't follow it ;) Just that it would be a LOT easier to read about art if critiques were not so often written in such willfully dense jargon. This article wasn't too bad overall, but it came close in a couple of places to something out of the CRAP generator.
you should try the one i posted before that. Good read but fairly long. Requires a membership but membership is free. similar to the article above but much more in depth.
 
Ah, JSTOR. I have access to that in the academic databases at my school.
 
Ah, JSTOR. I have access to that in the academic databases at my school.
i have a account but since it is a free version i am only allowed three books on my shelf at once. lol
 
I have access to it ALL!!! Mwahahahahaha...:greendevil:
 
I'm surprised that no one's mentioned yet that the optical suggestions of the purity of line verges on codifying the distinctive formal juxtapositions.
 
That is EXACTLY what I was going to say.
 
Cool, look what I found! It's a video of where I lived in Portugal.



Around 0.30 they show the Jardim Santa Barbara. That was a couple of blocks from my school and I'd often have lunch there. I think the building was a convent at some point. Wasn't sure what it was used for now.

From around 2:00 - 3:20, they showed a bunch of scenes from Bom Jesus, a cathedral on a hill just outside of own. I used to walk there every Sunday. There is a funicular that goes up the hill or you can go up the stairs. I always went up the stairs. If I remember correctly, there were 575.

At 3:30-ish, they switch to the other big cathedral, Sameiro, which is on the top of a different hill out of town. That's where my parents got married.

Aww, I miss it there sometimes.
 
looks like a decent place for photography. just skimming the video i saw a few shots i wouldn't mind having.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom