The Dark Side...

I like the concept, but it might have been portrayed better of more of the dog was in shadow instead of just half its face. maybe if half+ of the whole dog were shadowed out with the dog appearing to "peer out" from the shadows. on the other side, i would have liked this photo more if the dogs head was turned more where none of its face was shadowed out, giving more contrast to the outside darkness. A pretty cool shot none the less.

I like the first one better. I like the contrast between the dog, the black sand, and the water.

Nandakumar, the problem for me is that the dog appears too relaxed in its posture to suggest "fear". Are we supposed to be afraid of the dog? Is the dog supposed to be afraid of the water? Are we supposed to be afraid FOR the dog near the water? This image doesn't give me much to work with. I think you had a concept in mind, but maybe I'm just too dense to see it. :(

Nandakumar, the problem for me is that the dog appears too relaxed in its posture to suggest "fear". Are we supposed to be afraid of the dog? Is the dog supposed to be afraid of the water? Are we supposed to be afraid FOR the dog near the water? This image doesn't give me much to work with. I think you had a concept in mind, but maybe I'm just too dense to see it. :(

Yes, Paulo; now i too feel the concept is too soft or sympathetic evoke any enigma or fear.... :grumpy:
Thank you very much for your critical analysis :D

Nandakumar, my friend, you're always welcome. And doing stuff outside our comfort zone is the way we all learn. Sometimes it works. Usually it doesn't. But if we are open to critical examination of our mistakes, those form the stepping-stones to eventual success.

This is great stuff. I get the concept instantly and think you did a nice job with the first image (the crop is nothing).

My complaint is that I do not feel the dog is particularly well placed in the frame. The pieces of the image are very good, and the tones are also very good. The graphical relationship between water/sand/dog (which is really just a line between water and sand, and then one object, the dog) is not very strong, I feel.

Most reactions

Back