The death of C&C

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no useful discussion coming out of it.

Well, I suppose you're right.

I mean, it's only useful if people agree there's a problem and a solution needs to be found. If everyone is fine with the current state, then by all means carry on.

But then here were are at post 149.

There is a difference between photography and snapshots. And there are people that want one over the other. And they do care. And they want critique from other people who care and know the difference. That I know without question.

TPF has never been nor never tried to be a "professional gallery" type photography community.

OK. Then why do these forums exist:

The Aspiring Professionals Forum

General Shop Talk

Commercial/Product photography

The Professional Gallery

There's no useful discussion coming out of it.

Well, I suppose you're right.

I mean, it's only useful if people agree there's a problem and a solution needs to be found. If everyone is fine with the current state, then by all means carry on.

But then here were are at post 149.

There is a difference between photography and snapshots. And there are people that want one over the other. And they do care. And they want critique from other people who care and know the difference. That I know without question.

TPF has never been nor never tried to be a "professional gallery" type photography community.

OK. Then why do these forums exist:

The Aspiring Professionals Forum

General Shop Talk

Commercial/Product photography

The Professional Gallery

Not for critique.

Wow! 13 pages 151 comments spanning almost 10 months. No resolution one way or the other, no minds changed, no enlightenment and I would be willing to bet that this thread will likely come alive again next year.

I do agree with @SquarePeg that every one (including myself) should try to use the themes threads when possible. I don't know if it's just me, but every time I try to post in a theme I have a devil of a time finding the one I want. There's three different indexes with what I suspect are more than a few dead categories. Rather than click through trying to find one, I end up starting a thread. I wish there was a better way, maybe more specific sub categories of the galleries?

Wow! 13 pages 151 comments spanning almost 10 months. No resolution one way or the other, no minds changed, no enlightenment and I would be willing to bet that this thread will likely come alive again next year.

Actually we opened the Critique Gallery as a result of this thread.

I think there's a legitimate concern being addressed here. Clearly that opinion is not the majority. I've shared my views and they appear not to be shared by others . I will move on and let you all be. If I ever feel the need to share my love of photography I know where not to go.

Take care.

I'll tell you why it bothers me and it should bother others as well. It's the fact that when a bad picture is praised as much as, and sometimes more than, a good picture it takes away from the good artist/photographers. It puts their work on the same level and that's not fair to them. It would be like me painting a copy of the Mona Lisa and doing a terrible job of it (and I would) and then get a bunch of likes and comments saying it's as good as the original. If that's not demeaning to the original then I'm talking to people from another planet.

So what's to be done about it? Nothing. My only intent was for the people doing it to hopefully read my original comment and realize I was talking about them and stop doing it on their own free will. If they don't and keep doing it so be it. It's a free world and people are free to do as they wish and others are free to dislike it and speak their mind about it. There are bad consequences for both apparently. The bright side of it is I'm not so terribly bothered by it that I'll lose sleep over it. Heck, I usually to bed laughing over the thought of it. ;)

I'll tell you why it bothers me and it should bother others as well. It's the fact that when a bad picture is praised as much as, and sometimes more than, a good picture it takes away from the good artist/photographers. It puts their work on the same level and that's not fair to them. It would be like me painting a copy of the Mona Lisa and doing a terrible job of it (and I would) and then get a bunch of likes and comments saying it's as good as the original. If that's not demeaning to the original then I'm talking to people from another planet.

So what's to be done about it? Nothing. My only intent was for the people doing it to hopefully read my original comment and realize I was talking about them and stop doing it on their own free will. If they don't and keep doing it so be it. It's a free world and people are free to do as they wish and others are free to dislike it and speak their mind about it. There are bad consequences for both apparently. The bright side of it is I'm not so terribly bothered by it that I'll lose sleep over it. Heck, I usually to bed laughing over the thought of it. ;)

.......free world? Not so sure about that chum:allteeth:

You better watch your tone son, you’ll be getting cancelled :biggrinangelA:

And after those two replies I think that's quite enough.

We are always open to constructive community feedback and trying to take steps toward improving the community for all. But we are not going to condone ideas, policies, attitudes which seek to mock, insult, isolate or otherwise remove people from the community because they don't share the same appreciation of the hobby as others. TPF has always been here for photographers of all skill levels and will remain so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back