The difference between a Photograph and a Snap Shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photographiend

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please discuss.

I have been looking it up myself and thus far found a variety of opinions on the subject.

Here is one that at least was concise on the matter.

site linked in this thread said:
...A “snapshot” can be taken of anything and of varying quality (composition, exposure, etc.) Usually a “snapshot” is a quick rough capture to document a scene or event. A “photograph” on the other hand is a well thought, composed, exposed and executed art form...

Philosophy of Photography: Photograph versus a Snapshot » JMG-Galleries – Jim M. Goldstein Photography

What are your opinions?

Further more, what makes someone a "Professional Photographer"?

Haha... Not the first time this one has come up I take it?

Dun dun dun. Are we due for another thread like this already? Man, time flies. lol.

I view a professional photographer as someone who makes at least 60% of their income from photography. That's a pretty textbook definition, but that's the way I see it.

And the word snapshot, to me, implies little deliberation in the final image, while a "photograph" as the word is being used here is the opposite.

not the first by a long shot!
the "what makes a pro" question is quite another story as well.
hang on to your pants...
thread lock in T-Minus 10-9-8....

My opinion is that everyone may share their opinion and their opinions will, merely be, opinions.

The final image is all that matters.

Everything in between is just a medium to the final image.

As for what is a "professional" photographer well....technically it is an individual who makes a living in the field of photography.

Although, I have seen images from hobbyist blow away a "professionals" image many, many times over.

Nice. At least it will be interesting.

I'M ALREADY OFFENDED. BY THE POWER OF THOR, LOCK THIS THREAD!

thor01.gif

Is this the part where I say "what if I make 59% of my income from photography?"...

and so forth...

lol

Snapshots are "Raise camera, don't think, actuate shutter!"

Photographs are "think about it, examine the background, foreground and subject, think about it, setup the shot and settings on the camera, think about it, raise camera, focus, think, adjust, think.. shoot!" (more or less)

Does it really get that bad on this topic? Now I am curious.

I view a professional photographer as someone who makes at least 60% of their income from photography. That's a pretty textbook definition, but that's the way I see it.

Fair enough in that respect I will likely never be a "Pro". If I ever got good enough for my stuff to be worth anything, I would likely just donate my work to charities to raise money for them and never actually have an income from it.

And the word snapshot, to me, implies little deliberation in the final image, while a "photograph" as the word is being used here is the opposite.

So how deliberate the shot was or if it was pure luck? I guess that makes sense.

[troll mode]

I'd be so amused if Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico, was snapped in boozy haste with little artistic consideration.

[/troll mode]

*wonders what that last post meant*:confused:

There's gotta be at least 300 threads on this topic on TPF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back