The every day holiday lens

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well it seems that with the overcast and raining skies coupled with fact that I have still not reached my target for getting this years lenses the only thing keeping me sane is planning the ultimate camera kit.......

So without further adoo I started looking round for something to replace my kit lens for when I have general trips out and about - I have the canon 70-200 f2.8 in my sights already, but need something for closer work as I have found 70mm to be rather long for many cases.
Now I started looking at the "nifty 50s" as I am constantly seeing them being recomended, but having looked through my kit lens at 50mm I still feels a little too close for comfort - zooming out to about 35 though and things look better - I think this is partly down to the smaller sensor in the 400D and the "magnification" factor - so the 50mm is looking more like 80mm.
Add to that the fact that this area of photography is not an area I am out to put lots of investment in different prime lenses into (for simplicities sake) and I started to look at the zoom lenses on offer

The
EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

stood out as two good choices which would cover a good focal spread for a range of conditions - I am not worried about having gaps in my focal ranges nor about focal overlap so for me the big question between these two is is IS at f4 better or worse than no IS at f2.8.

Anyone got an opinion on either ofthese two lenses or something about the nifty 50s that I have overlooked?
--ps no budget as this is a target for the future so its flexable to needs--

The way I like to put it simple to customers..

The 24-70L is the sports car... known for being fast (aperture). This is the bread and butter of wedding photographers. Its limited by its heavier packaging (not too bad but noticeable) and short focal range. The speciality is the fast aperture.

The 24-105L is the SUV... A very high end all purpose lens. The extra focal length, slightly easier package, IS all make this is very flexible lens.

I've owned both... The 24-105L pairs well with the equally flexible 100-400L. The 24-70L and the 70-200 f2.8L pair up as if they were designed specifically for each other.

For me.... I prefer primes on a rangefinder but like the flexibility of zooms on an SLR body. So the 24-105L (and the 100-400L) remained (versatile and flexibility) and the other were off. If I were a low-light zoomer or a wedding photographer, I would have probably chosen the f/2.8 lenses at a sacrifice of packaging and focal range... I'm not and photography is 100% for enjoyment now. For low light.. you cannot beat a good set of primes.

Often compared to each other... but the two sets of lenses are really for very different purposes. IQ wise... all 4 of them are good enough to meet the expectations of Canon's L line.

Thanks again - I am starting to come round to your way of thinking - the f2.8 is nice, but being able to leave the tripod at home is a big plus - I have no problem lugging it around and using it, but others can get a little annoyed when you keep stopping to shoot - and it does mean you can miss some of those faster events - yes your not going to get rid of motion blurr with IS but motion blurr and user blurr is not a nice combo.
I also notice a few people saying that f2.8 is superior in special darker conditions and yet I can't help but feel that it is really reaching for the next level in quality = where a prime would be better suited to working with as well.
I can also see that a little overlap in focal length will stop me cursing that I have the wrong lens on the camera when something appears that needs that little extra range.

For a holiday lens I would be tempted to use the new 18-55 IS and the new 55-250 IS. Either that or the 18-125 Sigma.

On the other hand I'm very happy with my 17-85 IS.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back