The Joust! A Gentle Awaits Orders

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$TheQueen1.jpg

Deep in thought is he? Or perhaps he is admiring the fair maiden across the way?

I dunno... Great focus. Caught all the textures of everything very nicely, Shading is also lovely, but there is something about it that I am not loving and I can't figure it out. I think it is the square crop.

shot of some guys side / back? No interest for the viewer.... meaningless, no matter what title you give it! :)

shot of some guys side / back? No interest for the viewer.... meaningless, no matter what title you give it! :)

My friend, there is no way you can speak on behalf of every possible "viewer." Some people, like me, may find this very thought provoking. To me, Picasso's art holds no interest to me, but that certainly is just an opinion, like yours! And the title was not meant to be creative... it's literally what he was doing, and it was at a joust. Just describing the scene. But thanks for your input!

I dunno... Great focus. Caught all the textures of everything very nicely, Shading is also lovely, but there is something about it that I am not loving and I can't figure it out. I think it is the square crop.

Yeah... maybe. Now that you mention, I don't think I like the square crop too much either..

Well...can't really see any of his eyes, so can't really draw on his emotions. As an artist, it's your prerogative to portray images as you see them...I can dig it. Personally I don't see much of a story in this one, if you could see more of his face...maybe. But I like your use of BandW...exposure ain't bad.

The problem is, there is nothing in the photo that suggests "jousting" or that he's anticipating anything. Looks like he's just standing there with his arms folded. Your title shouldn't have to explain what's going on in the photo. You get it because you were there. We obviously were not, so look at it from our point of view.

I do like the B&W conversion. Nice tones and contrast. The only technical issue I have with the photo is that the "crowd" appears to be wearing normal clothes. If you had used a shallower DOF you could have separated you subject from the background. This would still make the the viewer aware of the crowd's presence with out them seeming distracting or out of place. You want to isolate your subject, not divert attention away from it.

Yeah, DOF is still something I'm working on. At the moment, my lens can't really get as low as I'd like. But anyways, I was thinking the guy's body language would convey something.

It looks like a frame from an old movie of the 30s. That is until you look at the crowd and see the modern garb. As others have said there is nothing to indicate what this is about other than what you have told us. His dress and facial hair is interesting and period to the 1800's so from that point of view its interesting. A frame from a movie. But this one frame doesnt tell the story. His body language looks like he could be giving a patriotic speech with his hand on his heart. Or that he is thirsty and his hand is on his throat.

DGMPhotography said:
My friend, there is no way you can speak on behalf of every possible "viewer." Some people, like me, may find this very thought provoking. To me, Picasso's art holds no interest to me, but that certainly is just an opinion, like yours! And the title was not meant to be creative... it's literally what he was doing, and it was at a joust. Just describing the scene. But thanks for your input!

I have just a tiny bit more experience than you do, son! Trust me.... no matter how hard you argue.. I would bin this one! :)

It looks like a frame from an old movie of the 30s. That is until you look at the crowd and see the modern garb. As others have said there is nothing to indicate what this is about other than what you have told us. His dress and facial hair is interesting and period to the 1800's so from that point of view its interesting. A frame from a movie. But this one frame doesnt tell the story. His body language looks like he could be giving a patriotic speech with his hand on his heart. Or that he is thirsty and his hand is on his throat.

I like the frame idea. And yeah, that's actually what I was thinking, the thirsty thing. In a way, he's longing for something.

I have just a tiny bit more experience than you do, son! Trust me.... no matter how hard you argue.. I would bin this one! :)

I'm with Charlie. Had you not said where he was I would have thought he was a streetcar conductor or something. The hat doesn't look right for the 1600's, the sideburns don't look right for the 1600's, nothing really looks right for the 1600's. I've been to the renaissance festival here a number of times and I've never seen anyone looking like that.

Charlie's just being a negative Nellie.

The biggest problem I have with this one is that the arms are ambiguous. The big blousy sleeve makes the near arm uncertain (I THINK he has his hand up near his throat?) and there's a weird building over his right right shoulder that makes it look, at first glance, as if he has his right arm up and right hand shading his eyes. Then you realize that it's not an arm, it's the building, and what you think is maybe a hand shading the eyes is some weird thing about his hat.

Tonally, the background is pretty well separated from him, but geometrically it's kind of ambiguous and busy back there. You could try getting better visual separation of the man from the background, but I think we're always going to be a bit confused about what his arms are doing. The posture is quite nice, the textures are great. There's a lot to like here.

amolitor said:
Charlie's just being a negative Nellie.

The biggest problem I have with this one is that the arms are ambiguous. The big blousy sleeve makes the near arm uncertain (I THINK he has his hand up near his throat?) and there's a weird building over his right right shoulder that makes it look, at first glance, as if he has his right arm up and right hand shading his eyes. Then you realize that it's not an arm, it's the building, and what you think is maybe a hand shading the eyes is some weird thing about his hat.

Tonally, the background is pretty well separated from him, but geometrically it's kind of ambiguous and busy back there. You could try getting better visual separation of the man from the background, but I think we're always going to be a bit confused about what his arms are doing. The posture is quite nice, the textures are great. There's a lot to like here.

Yea... OR you could just photoshop the hell out of it, and put an actual Joust in the background... then the title would sort of make sense. But IT would be totally fake.. instead of just being a snapshot! :)

Most reactions

Back