The Joust! A Gentle Awaits Orders

Titles are overrated. I think it's a potentially interesting photo of a dude leaning on a rail. Just some visual chaos that makes it not work for me.

Titles are overrated. I think it's a potentially interesting photo of a dude leaning on a rail. Just some visual chaos that makes it not work for me.

Like what?

I think if you cropped it down to a portrait shot you would remove all the things that pull your eye away from the key feature in the image which is the stunning detail and texture you captured on your subject. You would also loose any hint of the environment but your picture would be more successful.

I can't say for sure that is what amolitor meant but that is my take on it.

I think if you cropped it down to a portrait shot you would remove all the things that pull your eye away from the key feature in the image which is the stunning detail and texture you captured on your subject. You would also loose any hint of the environment but your picture would be more successful.

I can't say for sure that is what amolitor meant but that is my take on it.

Thanks! Could you post an edit of what you are thinking?! :)

I described the visual chaos in an earlier post. There's a building over his right shoulder that is confusingly arm-like.

I dunno I like this better for texture alone. It does however bring out some curious point on his hat.

$TheQueen1a.jpg

shot of some guys side / back? No interest for the viewer.... meaningless, no matter what title you give it! :)

My friend, there is no way you can speak on behalf of every possible "viewer." Some people, like me, may find this very thought provoking. To me, Picasso's art holds no interest to me, but that certainly is just an opinion, like yours! And the title was not meant to be creative... it's literally what he was doing, and it was at a joust. Just describing the scene. But thanks for your input!

How many times can I like Charlie's comments in one thread?

No he certainly cannot speak for every possible viewer, but he most certainly can speak for what generally does and does not work in photography.

Seriously. All of Charlies' comments are spot on, and all of OP's comments are what I would categorize as "excuses to muddy the water when shoddy work has been displayed".

Yes, I know that's a bit harsh, but let's cut to the bone here... the photo is meh at best. There's not NOTHING there, but there's very little. Without your title and little write-up there is even less... and what title and write-up you have given, is mostly confusing, because nothing about the shot shows anything of what you're talking about.

shot of some guys side / back? No interest for the viewer.... meaningless, no matter what title you give it! :)

My friend, there is no way you can speak on behalf of every possible "viewer." Some people, like me, may find this very thought provoking. To me, Picasso's art holds no interest to me, but that certainly is just an opinion, like yours! And the title was not meant to be creative... it's literally what he was doing, and it was at a joust. Just describing the scene. But thanks for your input!

No he certainly cannot speak for every possible viewer, but he most certainly can speak for what generally does and does not work in photography.

Seriously. All of Charlies' comments are spot on, and all of OP's comments are what I would categorize as "excuses to muddy the water when shoddy work has been displayed".

Yes, I know that's a bit harsh, but let's cut to the bone here... the photo is meh at best. There's not NOTHING there, but there's very little. Without your title and little write-up there is even less... and what title and write-up you have given, is mostly confusing, because nothing about the shot shows anything of what you're talking about.

Excuses, excuses :p I like this shot. And even if you're right, oh well. I did not ask for C&C, and this is not the beginner's forum. I'm just posting my work here as I see it.

Excuses, excuses :p I like this shot. And even if you're right, oh well. I did not ask for C&C, and this is not the beginner's forum. I'm just posting my work here as I see it.

You don't have to ask for C&C.. if you post in a regular forum, C&C is allowed. You might try the "Just for fun" forum... C&C is more or less optional there! It is for non-serious work!

Critique isn't handed out here only in the beginners forum. It's handed out everywhere except in "Just for Fun".

Posting your work as you see it? What does that even mean?

Look... if you want to get something from this place, you're going to either need to be waaaaaaaaaaaay more receptive to what folks are saying to you, or just not post any of your images. I'm not even suggesting you have to agree with what people say, but this defensive posture you're taking isn't going to do you any good and probably earn you a bit of a reputation to boot.

If you don't agree, a simple "Hey, thanks so much for taking the time to comment" acknowledges the poster and neither agrees nor disagrees with them. It works well. Honest. I mean, honestly, I think you should actually take the advice a bit more to heart... but whatever. Maybe you're the next Ansel Adams and we're all full of ****.

DGMPhotography said:

Why post an image, and not want feedback?

Saying you don't want C&C makes me think you only want compliments or no comments at all.

Everyone's a critic. And I am still drooling over the precision on your focus.

Was playing with the crop again and noticed there is a thread on his shirt that should have been trimmed by the seamstress.

$TheQueen1b.jpg

None of my photo's could survive that kind of cropping.

Thanks photographiend! :) I appreciate the support. As for everyone else, ha, that was a joke xD I know C&C is pretty much expected. It's just everyone is saying pretty much the same thing, not offering much, unlike photographiend who has posted edits of what he thinks could be done, and it's not really helping. The first comment, sure, but after that, the same basic criticism gets annoying :) IMO ;P

DGMPhotography said:
Thanks photographiend! :) I appreciate the support. As for everyone else, ha, that was a joke xD I know C&C is pretty much expected. It's just everyone is saying pretty much the same thing, not offering much, unlike photographiend who has posted edits of what he thinks could be done, and it's not really helping. The first comment, sure, but after that, the same basic criticism gets annoying :) IMO ;P

If the quiche is burned there is no better critique than "don't burn the quiche".

You didn't listen to anything anyone said. The repetition should have driven home the point, but you're still suggesting the quiche is fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back