The Joust! A Gentle Awaits Orders

Photos of people's backsides are not usually very captivating. Why have the person in the shot if there is no way for the viewer to connect?
He looks more like a train conductor than whatever it is you said he was.

Titles are overrated. I think it's a potentially interesting photo of a dude leaning on a rail. Just some visual chaos that makes it not work for me.

I was thinking today how unimportant titles "should" be with respect to photos. Too often they are attempts to explain what should not need to be explained.

To the OP - a technically fine, but boring shot.

Photos of people's backsides are not usually very captivating. Why have the person in the shot if there is no way for the viewer to connect?
He looks more like a train conductor than whatever it is you said he was.

Titles are overrated. I think it's a potentially interesting photo of a dude leaning on a rail. Just some visual chaos that makes it not work for me.

I was thinking today how unimportant titles "should" be with respect to photos. Too often they are attempts to explain what should not need to be explained.

To the OP - a technically fine, but boring shot.

Ha, well thanks :)

DGMPhotography said:
Thanks photographiend! :) I appreciate the support. As for everyone else, ha, that was a joke xD I know C&C is pretty much expected. It's just everyone is saying pretty much the same thing, not offering much, unlike photographiend who has posted edits of what he thinks could be done, and it's not really helping. The first comment, sure, but after that, the same basic criticism gets annoying :) IMO ;P

If the quiche is burned there is no better critique than "don't burn the quiche".

You didn't listen to anything anyone said. The repetition should have driven home the point, but you're still suggesting the quiche is fine.

Question, how do you know I haven't listened? Just because I argue the point here doesn't mean I may not actually be taking the comments to heart. That's what happened with my step dad a few years ago. We always argued and NEVER got a long, but after him and my mom got divorced, I realized I actually did learn a few things from him, in between all the arguing! :)

Why does TPF so often turn into some argument between some newbie and some more established member?

Let the guy have his rationalizations, geez. You don't teach by yelling at people to listen.

DGMPhotography said:
Thanks photographiend! :) I appreciate the support. As for everyone else, ha, that was a joke xD I know C&C is pretty much expected. It's just everyone is saying pretty much the same thing, not offering much, unlike photographiend who has posted edits of what he thinks could be done, and it's not really helping. The first comment, sure, but after that, the same basic criticism gets annoying :) IMO ;P

If the quiche is burned there is no better critique than "don't burn the quiche".

You didn't listen to anything anyone said. The repetition should have driven home the point, but you're still suggesting the quiche is fine.

Question, how do you know I haven't listened? Just because I argue the point here doesn't mean I may not actually be taking the comments to heart. That's what happened with my step dad a few years ago. We always argued and NEVER got a long, but after him and my mom got divorced, I realized I actually did learn a few things from him, in between all the arguing! :)

Do you hear yourself?

You argued with him all the time, but you eventually realized you learned a few things. What would happen if you had not argued with him at all? Would you have learned less? Or more?

The point isn't that you need to agree with everything anyone tells you, but if someone takes the time to explain something to you, the very last thing you should be doing is disagreeing with them. Whether they are right or wrong, you close your mouth, nod your head, and take notes. For really advanced listeners, you can (and should!) ask challenging questions.... but NEVER... and I mean NEVER.... should you argue. Then you say thank you to them for offering their advice and move on.

Why does TPF so often turn into some argument between some newbie and some more established member?

Let the guy have his rationalizations, geez. You don't teach by yelling at people to listen.

Why? Because it's maddening, that's why. Because we care.

Think about it. How many long-time members do you know that are on here, still fairly vocal, and don't get grumpy with situations like this. I can think of two... Corrina and Overread... both of which are super-human or some kind of droids that feed on happiness and rainbows. The rest of us are still here, but we're grumpy. Why? Because we care. That caring goes both ways. We care enough to help, and we care enough to get annoyed when someone doesn't even begin to know how to handle the help given.

You sit there and curse us again and again, but if you took all the grumps out of this forum you would lose a lot of knowledge and experience. Whether you know it or not, the grouches are the backbone of TPF. And sure, over time we will drop off... but guess what? There will be a new crop to replace us... many of which will be the ones who cursed us previously... maybe one will be you. Don't laugh. I've seen it happen. In 9 years I've seen it happen a lot.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Seriously. This "we're super frustrated, and so that makes it ok to yell at newbies" line is a MUCH MUCH bigger rationalization than the "well, my photographs must just not be for you" rationalization.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Seriously. This "we're super frustrated, and so that makes it ok to yell at newbies" line is a MUCH MUCH bigger rationalization than the "well, my photographs must just not be for you" rationalization.

Um. I didn't yell at anyone. Not even close. If you think that's yelling, you've lived a sheltered internet life.

I'm direct... Occasionally pointed. I rarely, if ever, "yell".

Yay! Another thread devolving into members bitching about other members responses!

The real backbone of TPF is it's consistancy, and predictability, on all fronts.

Let's change the subject.

How about surfing Gorillas?
emoticon-animal-037.gif

I just want you guys to know, I love you all :hug:: Good advice manaheim, I'll consider it, thanks! :) And thanks for sticking up for the newbs a little bit, amolitor, but I suppose they're right. They're the ones with experience- if only everyone could be like Corrina and Overread whom I've never even seen xD As for Bitter Jeweler, I can un-regretfully come to the conclusion that you, sir, are a true troll. I've been wondering if I'm the troll or if you guys are, but I think it's none of the above - the troll is just you. Just as your name states, you're just Bitter :) But perhaps we can see that "jewel" part of you one day as well, a diamond in the rough so to speak :D Photographiend... I like your thinking- Gorillas ftw!

Web forums are really amusing sometimes. I started using Linux about 10 or 12 years ago and, with only a dial-up connection, would get most of my questions answered in usenet newsgroups.
Those technical forums had strict posting rules and etiquette. You were expected to lurk for a long time before posting so you could get the lay of the land, see who was who, learn who not to piss off, and how not to piss them off.
Usually, the seemingly nastiest people were the ones that had the most to offer in terms of technical knowledge. Trolls were something else entirely ...

I think your definition of troll needs to be revised a bit. Some skin thickener might be useful as well.

*plonk*

^ what he said.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back