The Joust! A Gentle Awaits Orders

[crank mode]

I've been looking at this thread for over a week, and I'm really annoyed. The photo is ho-hum. It just doesn't grab my interest. What really grabs my interest, however, and annoys me to no end is that damn title!

A "Gentle" .....what?!??? A gentle train conductor? A gentle man? A gentle chihuahua?

Geez, people. Check your thread titles more carefully before hitting the Submit button.

[/crank mode]

We still see the usage in the word 'gentleman'

I just want you guys to know, I love you all :hug:: Good advice manaheim, I'll consider it, thanks! :) And thanks for sticking up for the newbs a little bit, amolitor, but I suppose they're right. They're the ones with experience- if only everyone could be like Corrina and Overread whom I've never even seen xD As for Bitter Jeweler, I can un-regretfully come to the conclusion that you, sir, are a true troll. I've been wondering if I'm the troll or if you guys are, but I think it's none of the above - the troll is just you. Just as your name states, you're just Bitter :) But perhaps we can see that "jewel" part of you one day as well, a diamond in the rough so to speak :D Photographiend... I like your thinking- Gorillas ftw!

What a CHRIST LIKE response from one who makes the claim to follow him! Typical!

Bitter has much to teach, and I suspect that you have just lost that privilege (although since Bitter is a nice, forgiving guy... he would probably offer help anyway!)

Last edited:
[crank mode]

I've been looking at this thread for over a week, and I'm really annoyed. The photo is ho-hum. It just doesn't grab my interest. What really grabs my interest, however, and annoys me to no end is that damn title!

A "Gentle" .....what?!??? A gentle train conductor? A gentle man? A gentle chihuahua?

Geez, people. Check your thread titles more carefully before hitting the Submit button.

[/crank mode]

^^THIS! ( I am familiar with the usage, and it was usually used to indicate one of the privileged class, and not a poor, dumb worthless peasant / serf, in a very class bigoted society!)

I dunno I like this better for texture alone. It does however bring out some curious point on his hat.

View attachment 18315

Nicely done. But its still just a guy with his back to us. Only the outfit he is wearing gives us an indication of the era, but thats it. As someone has said, technically nice but lacking in a secondary (story telling) subject.

"Gentle" in older times (rarely today) was also used as a noun to indicate of noble birth. Considering the setting, this is actually correctly written.

Thank you. I love learning these kinds of things!

gen·tle

n. Archaic
One of good birth or relatively high station.

I guess I should take back the chihuahua comment.

"Gentle" in older times (rarely today) was also used as a noun to indicate of noble birth. Considering the setting, this is actually correctly written.

Thank you. I love learning these kinds of things!

gen·tle

n. Archaic
One of good birth or relatively high station.

I guess I should take back the chihuahua comment.

Not necessarily! ;) lol!

I personally think the shot would have been a thousand times better if the "Gentle" in question had actually been in at least an attempt at period appropriate garb. It might just be me, but the clash between the title and the reality kills it for me. I am a student of Medieval and Renaissance history so it's glaring things like this that bug me the most. It's not his out of period hat, his potentially out of period doublet (I'd need to see the front to know for sure) or anything like that. It is his complete lack of armor lol. That stuff was heavy and it took multiple people a good deal of time to put it on. No "Gentle" who expected to joust in a tourney would go anywhere near the list (technical term for jousting field) in his daily wear clothing. Armor was a status symbol.

Yes the photograph could use some technical improvement, but for a relatively new photographer, this is an OK early offering. Not prize winning by any means, but a decent attempt. Don't forget folks, not all of us were born with a camera in our hands.

Ha, "reshoot," good idea! ;D Yes, "gentle" is what they called them, they even called us, the audience that. So, as you can expect, the renaissance fair I went to was not 100% accurate to the medieval era- I know you worked with them zombiemann so I'm sure you know how it's supposed to be. People mostly go there wearing pirate costumes, this guy sorta did a later period, but it's unfamiliar enough I suppose people would fall for it. And Jaemie, I know you know better now, but perhaps you should check your history before you go making "crank" comments. Thanks! :D Cgip, I'm not really sure where you're coming from talking about my religion, so I'm just gonna disregard it for now xD

https://www.facebook.com/DGM7Photography

Nice pro photographer link though
bigthumb.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back