The new Nikon Z-Mount Cameras- who is in?

I already have a great full frame system. I dont need a second one.

And on top of that there isnt even actually a great full frame mirrorless system out there anyway. Right now they're all fighting over which is the crappiest. Certainly none of them is even remotely able to replace my Nikon F system. Even less so at a tolerable price point.

Also mirrorless fans keep inventing advantages that their system doesnt have, ignore disadvantages it has, and blow up the advantages it actually has in their importance. Mirrorless vs SLR is a trade, not a clear improvement either way.

Thinking of getting a Panasonic G85 4/3 then a Panasonic / Leica glass 100 -400.

Last edited:
I haven't double-checked every page of this thread, but... is anybody here getting a Z-mount?

They seem like nice cameras. I'd like to hold one, but I'm not in the market. The price point on the XT-3 is brutal competition imo.

I haven't double-checked every page of this thread, but... is anybody here getting a Z-mount?
I'm pretty disgusted by some of the choices that Nikon made (1 slot, e.g.) but am still seriously pondering the Z6 when it comes out. We shall see...

Bumping this.

I’m in the market for a new camera. I got a D7100 a few years back and want to go full frame now.

It’s between the D750 and the Z6. The price difference between the two is close enough that I am thinking of just going to the Z6.

Mostly do Astrophotography but just enjoy taking pictures in general.

Too hard for me to make a decision considering other choices that have similar or close to its price range.

I think if I was going to drop that much coin it would be for a D850, it tics all the boxes for me.

Reactions: D7K
Bumping this.

I’m in the market for a new camera. I got a D7100 a few years back and want to go full frame now.

It’s between the D750 and the Z6. The price difference between the two is close enough that I am thinking of just going to the Z6.

For astrophotography I'd go with the Z6 mirrorless.
I've used DSLRs up to my current D750 on my 2,000mm telescope. The problem I always disliked is the mirror slap. I have to provide another 5 seconds from the mirrorup MUP to the image capture to prevent minute star shift from the mirror slap. If I had the money I'd switch over to mirrorless.

But keep your D7100 24mp APS-C. It comes in handy for more deep space star/nebula images.

Bumping this.

I've used DSLRs up to my current D750 on my 2,000mm telescope. The problem I always disliked is the mirror slap. I have to provide another 5 seconds from the mirrorup MUP to the image capture to prevent minute star shift from the mirror slap. If I had the money I'd switch over to mirrorless.

But keep your D7100 24mp APS-C. It comes in handy for more deep space star/nebula images.

Thanks for the input. What’s your reasoning behind keeping the 7100 for deep space? That is on my list of things to learn. Currently researching telescopes and mounts.

Bumping this.

Thanks for the input. What’s your reasoning behind keeping the 7100 for deep space? That is on my list of things to learn. Currently researching telescopes and mounts.

Maybe the 1.5x crop, to get a narrower field of view.

Bumping this.

Let me make two contradictory statements:

1. The D750 is the better image maker.
  2. I would go with the Z6.
OK- so why pass on the better camera? Mirrorless cameras seem to be here to stay, so it seems to me that the next full frame camera I buy should be invested in that tech. I don't think the focusing on the Z6 is quite as sophisticated, and it certainly lacks dual cards but the initial reviews of the Z6 are still pretty decent, and my current instinct is to go for it.

Still debating, personally, but if given the choice between just those 2- I'm currently thinking the Z6.

Bumping this.

Let me make two contradictory statements:

1. The D750 is the better image maker.
  2. I would go with the Z6.
OK- so why pass on the better camera? Mirrorless cameras seem to be here to stay, so it seems to me that the next full frame camera I buy should be invested in that tech. I don't think the focusing on the Z6 is quite as sophisticated, and it certainly lacks dual cards but the initial reviews of the Z6 are still pretty decent, and my current instinct is to go for it.

Still debating, personally, but if given the choice between just those 2- I'm currently thinking the Z6.

I would go D750, but that is based on what and how I shoot.
The mirrorless that I've seen and can afford, isn't yet up to matching an OVF for sports. Though I've read that the $4,000 Sony is.

Having said that, I have and use micro 4/3 with an EVF, and I love it. The biggest plus is the ability to see the image as it would be captured, so that I can make exposure adjustment BEFORE I press the shutter. This is really helpful in difficult lighting situations where it was a shoot, check, adjust, repeated cycle to narrow in on a good exposure.
But I have not figured out the EVF for sports, and my first couple times out were a disappointment.

Most reactions

Back