The new Nikon Z-Mount Cameras- who is in?

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
EDIT: it is spectacular... and a disappointment:

SPECTACULAR-
Nikon's long-awaited Z7 mirrorless camera is here, and it's spectacular

MAYBE WAIT-

Expected to be announced on Aug 23. EDIT: YEP. Rumor is that this new full frame nikon mirrorless line will have the new larger 'Z' mount lens. YEP. More rumors: there will be a Z6 (24 MP) and Z7 (45 MP), and a 50 prime, a 24-70 f/4 and a wide prime plus a SUPER low aperture 58 mm at f/.95. I'm told to expect IBIS. ALL TRUE. Curious to see if they go with phase or contrast focus tech. HYBRID THAT USES BOTH. Something to match canon dual pixel focus? NOPE.

If pricing of the z6 is anywhere near 2K USD and if it is not a total flop technically, I expect to be all-in personally, but I want some real-world reviews first. EDIT: SEE COMMENTS. Does the F-mount adapter work perfectly for both AF and VR? EDIT: SO FAR, SO GOOD

Your thoughts?

* Certain to buy- finally!
* Likely to buy- let's see how they do (I'm here)
* Could buy, but not certain
* Likely to NOT buy
* Certain to pass.

Or,... something else. What say you?

Last edited:
Expected to be announced on Aug 23. Rumor is that this new full frame nikon mirrorless line will have the new larger 'Z' mount lens. More rumors: there will be a Z6 (24 MP) and Z7 (45 MP), and a 50 prime, a 24-70 f/4 and a wide prime plus a SUPER low aperture 58 mm at f/.95. I'm told to expect IBIS. Curious to see if they go with phase or contrast focus tech. Something to match canon dual pixel focus?

If pricing of the z6 is anywhere near 2K USD and if it is not a total flop technically, I expect to be all-in personally, but I want some real-world reviews first. Does the F-mount adapter work perfectly for both AF and VR?

Your thoughts?

* Certain to buy- finally!
* Likely to buy- let's see how they do (I'm here)
* Could buy, but not certain
* Likely to NOT buy
* Certain to pass.

Or,... something else. What say you?

If the F mount adapter works perfectly with every lens I already own (including third party) then I’ll heavily consider going to at least a Z6 in addition to what u have now. Personally, I’d be really tempted to trade out my D810 and entire Fuji kit to get a Z7.

But for me it hinges on the f mount adapter. If that isn’t *perfect* I’ll likely just go with a D850 because it’s so damn good.

Either way, I won’t be an early adopter. I’ll give it 6 months to a year to make sure there are no major issues.

No me, love my Fujifilm. I would rather spend the money on a 8-16 f2.8 or the 200 f2 or both. Oh heck, I might as well grab the new Over sized XPro 2 medium format with a 32-64 and a 120 macro.

No me, love my Fujifilm. I would rather spend the money on a 8-16 f2.8 or the 200 f2 or both. Oh heck, I might as well grab the new Over sized XPro 2 medium format with a 32-64 and a 120 macro.
Choice would be SO much harder for me if Fuji had full frame. Love my x-t20 for so many things but sometimes I really need the bigger sensor.

Ironically, having said that I’m intimidated by the medium format!

D850 or z-mount is current binary choice for me- considering significant investment in nikon glass.

Choice would be SO much harder for me if Fuji had full frame. Love my x-t20 for so many things but sometimes I really need the bigger sensor.

D850 or z-mount is current binary choice for me- considering significant investment in nikon glass.
why do you need a bigger sensor? the quality coming out of the XT2, XP2 are on par and probably better .

why do you need a bigger sensor? the quality coming out of the XT2, XP2 are on par and probably better .
XT2 has same same sensor as x-t20. My night shots with the D610 are way cleaner. Fuji is beautiful in daylight tho.

I just bought my d850 so I’ll pass.
I might consider the Z7 mk 2 in a few years.

Nikon's obsessed with catching up to Sony. It's apparent they missed the point of MILCs: size and weight savings. If the new bodies sport the same plus-size as their prosumer and pro DSLRs and lenses weigh-in heavy, they've accomplished very little, hype notwithstanding. Looks like they ignored what Fuji pioneered years back. Anticipating Fuji to roll-out a stripped, lower-cost version of the GFX and/or a big-sensor version of the stabilized X-H1. So far, the Nikon MILC project still looks late to the party. A failed, wildly-pricey or glitch-ridden F-mount adapter could mean trouble. Maybe someone will soon breach their NDA and ruin all our fun!

I've been an F-mount Nikon body owner since 1982...a mere 36 years with the F-mount....bought some Canon EF d-slr gear in the early 2000's, still have a couple Canon bodies and a couple lenses...I spent $10,000 on a complete, two-body Canon d-slr system with APS-C and FF Canon models, two L-glass zooms, a handful of Canon primes (85,100 macro, 135-L,135 Soft Focus, 50/1.4, 50/1.8,)...ehhh...half a decade of trying an alternative to the F-mount cameras left me feeling dissatisfied. Changing systems when you have a lot of experience with one, or when you have a lot of equipment in one system, can seem like a lateral move, or even a downgrade. As to the poll response: likely to NOT buy, at least until the used units start hitting the market at low,low prices, so...two years after introduction, when people are trading inthe first-generation models, I might consider picking up a Z-mount body.

How well the F-mount adapter functions might be the deciding factor for me, and for many other long-time Nikon users.

Being "late to the party" is not a big problem for Nikon. Canon is also late to the party. Pentax is late to the party. Mirrorless cameras from Sony are attracting a fair number of early adopter types, but being deliberately LATE to the party can be a good thing; SAMSUNG, for example, has made its fortunes on deliberately being one of the LAST to enter multiple electronic market segments. Samsung's strategy is to wait, look at the competition, see the pitfalls and problems, and to engineer the best-in-class items, based on the success/failures of other companies and their entries in the market. Will Nikon do the same as Samsung has done for years? I do not think so,actually, but hey...Nikon's had pretty good success at making some fine,fine cameras, over many decades. The Nikon F, F2, F3, FE-2, 8008s,N90s,F100,D1,D1h,D3x, D4,D5,D500,D800,D850 have all been "best in class" camera models..more than a dozen camera models they pioneered, and which had huge success.

I dunno...let's see what Nikon has learned/borrowed/imitated from the cameras that have come before. Being late to the party, as cgw says? Not a big deal, really. But let's see...there have been some flops from Nikon...N6006, Df, D2x,etc..

Last edited:
Currently, I own both a Nikon D850 & a Fuji X-Pro2...I love the classic look of the "rangefinder" style of the X-Pro 2. If Nikon makes a Sony style (which apparently that's what they are doing) mirror-less, the answer is a resounding NO!!! But If they make a retro looking Nikon Rangefinder then ABSOLUTELY YES!!! Something like the Nikon S3 and make it better than the Fuji X-Pro 2 would be awesome...just saying!

Cheers,

Enezdez

I’m still honeymooning with Fuji so I’m a pass. If I buy any other body in the next few years it will be one of the small but pricey a fixed lens zooms for traveling super light/inconspicuous. Likely a Sony or Fuji.

It is an unknown quantity so I can't answer. But I buy gear when mine no longer performs what I need or there is something substantially better. I have a d850 and am open if it is significantly better but with limited glass that right away is a draw back. I keep hearing it is lighter. What a couple of pounds total? I tell folks what Tony Soprano told Pussy? You might want to consider eating a few more salads. Loose 5 lbs and carry a camera that doesn't compromise image quality or performance.

Nikon's obsessed with catching up to Sony. It's apparent they missed the point of MILCs: size and weight savings. If the new bodies sport the same plus-size as their prosumer and pro DSLRs and lenses weigh-in heavy, they've accomplished very little, hype notwithstanding.

I disagree. MILCs are about MUCH more than weight savings. They perform better in many ways and have features that wouldn’t be possible in a DSLR.

Sony has been massively successful with MILCs that are as big/heavy as a DSLR (and lenses that are bigger than their DSLR equivalents in many cases) because the bodies have so many high tech features.

Personally, I prefer my camera system to have a certain amount of size and weight to it. I find it very easy and natural to shoot with my D810 because it’s increased size and weight actually makes it easier to hold steady and get a secure grip on it when compared to my X-T20, which is pretty much too small (and has poor ergonomics) to comfortably hand hold.

Most reactions

Back