The new Nikon Z-Mount Cameras- who is in?

I rather have the Sony A7III over the Z6 and if i was going to spend 3 grand on the Z7 ,I buy the D850 instead. I see nothing exciting about the Z6 or Z7
I ran into someone shooting the Sony A7 something . I looked through the viewfinder and tried to track an Osprey and I was like no f&#+_ thanks.. confirmed my complete lack of interest in any ML camera

What was the issue(s)? Was it just different from what you are used to?

I rather have the Sony A7III over the Z6 and if i was going to spend 3 grand on the Z7 ,I buy the D850 instead. I see nothing exciting about the Z6 or Z7
I ran into someone shooting the Sony A7 something . I looked through the viewfinder and tried to track an Osprey and I was like no f&#+_ thanks.. confirmed my complete lack of interest in any ML camera

Huh, I don't seem to have any problems tracking anything from large birds to swallows with my mirrorless.
I hated looking through it, seemed like a TV set from the 80s

I had the Fuji X-T10 and took picture's of a bird in flight a duck I think, it nailed focus but i was still seeing the bird in the EVF like replay after the bird was long gone.

Huh, I don't seem to have any problems tracking anything from large birds to swallows with my mirrorless.
I hated looking through it, seemed like a TV set from the 80s

I guess I can see that. Having gone straight to mirrorless and not using a DSLR its not something I had to get used to. But not all EVF's are equal as well. Don't know the A7 so can't compare but the Oly definitely doesn't look like a TV set from the 80's, its got very good resolution. I love the fact that what I see is what I get and can adjust on the fly.

I was watching news videos about Canon and Nikon and Fuji mirrorless cameras that have been announced. In one video, Tony Northrup mentioned that one new model has 30 refreshes per second, but also has a 60 refreshes per second option, as well as a high-speed action mode which has 100 refreshes per second. So...the slow,laggy mirrorless EVFs of the past have been improved upon!

According to what I have read, the new Nikon Z7's EVF image is actually _VERY_ crisp and clear...as in better than the Nikon D850's optical finder image,according to one reviewer who was at the Nikon New York premier of the Nikon Z7 camera on the 25th of August. A second reviewer I watched really,really,really likes the Nikon Z7's EVF image quality.

In the early days of mirrorless, the refresh rate and the image quality as seen through the EVF were both rather unimpressive; apparently, the better cameras are now substantially better than what used to be the norm.

Anyway...

I do actually think the Z6 and Z7 has a nice looking body style and they seem to have kept buttons and menu much like the DSLR which i think is a good thing.

From a few reviews that I've seen I think the EVF is close to continuous if you use the electronic shutter as the image is taken from sensor. With normally shutter you lose the image for a short time as you would with a DSLR, but you don't have to wait for the mirror to come back down. And "adjusting the lens to the AF Module" isn't a problem as the AF is on the sensor versus on the lower part of the body so nothing to get out of whack/ adjustment.

This is the way of the future and if you dont like it you may as well retire to your kitchen garden. :tyrannosaurus:

Comparing DSLR's to mirrorless is comparing mature tech to emerging tech. At this point, mirrorless other than size and weight, doesn't offer me anything over my DSLR's. In fact, I prefer looking through the viewfinder of my DSLR's over my mirrorless. However, just like the SLR replaced the rangefinder and TLR as the most popular camera tech, mirrorless will only get better and will eventually replace the DSLR as the most popular camera tech.

Comparing DSLR's to mirrorless is comparing mature tech to emerging tech. At this point, mirrorless other than size and weight, doesn't offer me anything over my DSLR's. In fact, I prefer looking through the viewfinder of my DSLR's over my mirrorless. However, just like the SLR replaced the rangefinder and TLR as the most popular camera tech, mirrorless will only get better and will eventually replace the DSLR as the most popular camera tech.

Until the next thing comes along.

However, just like the SLR replaced the rangefinder and TLR as the most popular camera tech, mirrorless will only get better and will eventually replace the DSLR as the most popular camera tech.

it already has...

I know we are days into this thread, but I just found these two blog posts:

Thoughts on the New Nikon Z-Series

"While there are areas where Sony has the edge, there are also some areas where Nikon has outdone Sony. For a start, the screen and viewfinder seem to be better. I have always had an issue with Sony screens. It’s actually put me off in some respects, and was my biggest issue when using the A7II and my A6000.

For video, Nikon are offering a new log profile and 10-bit video, but only with an external recorder. This is both good and bad. Obviously it would be nice to have this internally, but Sony doesn’t do 10 bit in any way, despite people requesting this from Sony for years
."

and

A few more Nikon Z-Series Notes

"In my opinion, this isn’t a single “win or lose”, or “one and only shot” attempt from Nikon. This is the start of a long-term effort to transition to Mirrorless. That effort will take time and this is just the first iteration, and a way to attract early adopters. The idea that Nikon would leapfrog 3 generations of Sony technology, in an area that is new to it, in one go is kind of daft if you think about it objectively. They decided to focus on the areas that Sony was traditionally weak in, ergonomics and usability, rather than the technical aspects where Nikon undoubtedly has a disadvantage. But this is only the beginning. It’s not going to happen overnight with one single pair of cameras, and people expecting it to, really should try and see the bigger picture."

they used to take film into space, and catch the film--jettisoned back to earth--from planes...

Most reactions

Back