The new Nikon Z-Mount Cameras- who is in?

Bumping this.

I’m in the market for a new camera. I got a D7100 a few years back and want to go full frame now.

It’s between the D750 and the Z6. The price difference between the two is close enough that I am thinking of just going to the Z6.

Mostly do Astrophotography but just enjoy taking pictures in general.
For astrophotography I'd go with the Z6 mirrorless.
I've used DSLRs up to my current D750 on my 2,000mm telescope. The problem I always disliked is the mirror slap. I have to provide another 5 seconds from the mirrorup MUP to the image capture to prevent minute star shift from the mirror slap. If I had the money I'd switch over to mirrorless.

But keep your D7100 24mp APS-C. It comes in handy for more deep space star/nebula images.

Thanks for the input. What’s your reasoning behind keeping the 7100 for deep space? That is on my list of things to learn. Currently researching telescopes and mounts.
Due to the "extra reach" of the condensed pixels. Essentially FOV 1.5x your telescope without any magnification. At one time I tested a 2x with a 1.5x APS-C on my 2,000mm scope, which made it essentially a 6,000mm fuzzy FOV. Yeah, you can do some crazy stuff.

Something to keep in mind. Cheap(er) mirror scopes may not produce as clear an image as a long lens/refractor type scope. ie, sometimes I get better images in brighter night locations with my 600mm lens than my 2,000mm telescope of a nebula. In very dark sky locations the 12inch scope of mine does really well. A 5 inch scope may produce great images in bright night locations. I have multiple tubes for various situations.

I also have a 90 degree eyepiece for the D750 / D7x00 cameras when its on my scope. Also the flippy screen is really handy too but a long mechanical process of getting the mirror out of the way is noisy and have to wait a bit.

Focusing on the LCD I don't think is 100% as accurate as with the viewfinder. So I'm really curious how visual focusing on the Z6 LCD would be like ??

Bumping this.

I’m in the market for a new camera. I got a D7100 a few years back and want to go full frame now.

It’s between the D750 and the Z6. The price difference between the two is close enough that I am thinking of just going to the Z6.

Mostly do Astrophotography but just enjoy taking pictures in general.
Let me make two contradictory statements:

1. The D750 is the better image maker.
  2. I would go with the Z6.
OK- so why pass on the better camera? Mirrorless cameras seem to be here to stay, so it seems to me that the next full frame camera I buy should be invested in that tech. I don't think the focusing on the Z6 is quite as sophisticated, and it certainly lacks dual cards but the initial reviews of the Z6 are still pretty decent, and my current instinct is to go for it.

Still debating, personally, but if given the choice between just those 2- I'm currently thinking the Z6.

I would go D750, but that is based on what and how I shoot.
The mirrorless that I've seen and can afford, isn't yet up to matching an OVF for sports. Though I've read that the $4,000 Sony is.

Having said that, I have and use micro 4/3 with an EVF, and I love it. The biggest plus is the ability to see the image as it would be captured, so that I can make exposure adjustment BEFORE I press the shutter. This is really helpful in difficult lighting situations where it was a shoot, check, adjust, repeated cycle to narrow in on a good exposure.
But I have not figured out the EVF for sports, and my first couple times out were a disappointment.
The OP did not mention sports shooting. If I wanted a sports/action kit, I would avoid both the Z6 and the D750 in favor of the amazing D500. I agree with you that if forced to shoot sports with either the Z6 or the D750, then the jack-of-all trades D750 should be expected to be much better.

Hopefully Nikon does a better job with this new mirrorless than their old one which doesn't exactly get good reviews.

so does anyone have a Nikon z6 .. i wonder if they are happy and content... would love to hear from an owner too/ so much interesting info....

I actually tested all Mirrorless cameras out there for Months. Im a working pro , shooting 61 years and teaching for 12 years. Xt2 was on the Radar. Something was funny. I went ahead and bought the z7. Long story short. I took It back in 3 Days as I traded In My Workhorse d800. got a D850 and Back to Pro Work. without going On and On. Maybe In a few More Years......Maybe. I like substantial ....sorry. weekend Camera....???Sure. Clients and Products...Nope.
Rinderart.com

Best Nikon ever (and I also use Fuji but no 43 Mp full-frame sensor at an affordable price there).

I have had Nikon since the 1970s (since then I have used and accumulated all the F-single digits except for the F6). I have also used Ds (FF and DX), mine, my friends' and family's. I acquired a Z7 a few month ago (and using my pre-Z lenses with adapter as well as my 35 mm summicron), in conclusion : the best Nikon ever ! (except for a little glitch with Adobe Photoshop before update where the blues were too saturated for my taste just out of the camera [resolved by both Nikon and Adobe updates]). Why : 47 Mp, light, EVF (all the information I select and need), very effective stabilization, weight, size, easy to move to from previous Nikons, well-made.

By the way to answer Rinderart, the smaller weight, size, the EVF and the stabilization make my pro (and personal) work far more efficient and easier than my D800 which I have kept so far just in case and have not touched since I got my Z7. So Rinderart's argument is subjective but in my mind not really based on the qualities of both cameras—the Z7 offers far more than the D850 (EVF, Stabilization (less chances of fuzzy images because of the high resolution and possibility to use lower ISO for better quality), less bulk...). But I would agree with him, subjectivity is part of the deal especially if you have to use your equipment on a daily or almost daily basis. What subjectively works for him may not subjectively work for you or me, so I'd rather stick to the objective specification as a first step, the next being just try it if you can to see it fits your style.

Look at it this way. If I was a hobbyist. I would probably own 2 Z7's. I need a camera in My hands that Mentally gives me confidence That I can do what I need to Do. I have some 35/40 Year VERY Picky clients. My Other camera is the Phase One 150IQ and 3 lenses which a Client Leases for me to shoot Their Extreme High End, Detailed,Very expensive Parts that go Into the Hadron Collider underground in France/Switzerland . I have to shoot In a clean room. Sorry Guys, I wanted it to be More for day to day stuff...after being with Nikon since the very Beginning,And Leica and Hasselblad. I did 3 Months every weekend Taking every Mirrorless camera to my studio for bench testing Like I have for decades Testing Lenses for a Living. and , as a sidenote the Inconsistencies Nowdays with manufacturing Lenses compared to Early Schneider And Zeiss is appalling to say the least.. I own 7 Lenses ...It took me going through 40 to get to seven without Pin cushion effects, Or..Barrel Distortion
I don't just walk around a store. I've been with My store 40 Years. I can Take anything Home for a week end.

Ok ...I settled On the Z7 and the Glass. I get a Lot of free stuff perks which is Nice Because I bring students in there.........3 Days go By. Im shooting everything.....it just wasn't there "FOR ME" Guys. which should mean Nothing to you, I tried as Im Not much of a Gotta have every Little New thing. I think Nikon digital made some very ground Breaking Cameras. D2H,D2X,D3 and D800 were worth every penny. true workhorse products along With My collection Of Legacy Nikon Optics. I just wish Nikon and the Others would start Making Glass that resolve More than 18MP....Yes 18MP. But we all would go broke Buying them, If they did....
So , In conclusion if Z6/Z7 works for you?...GREAT!!! enjoy I knew In 3 Days it was Not for me. I guess Kinda Like a car. Looks Great, drives good But yust Isn't you.
Took It back and picked Up a D850......It's a beast with a grip and almost Identical to d800 with a few Improvements., Perfect for 80% of what I do from simple stock to Highend clients and Beyond that , The Phaseone which is another world.... And Just a piece Of advise....peeps. NEVER,EVER fill out a warranty Card . Or you Own it. period and save everything. When I took It back, My Old friend,The salesmen understood completely....He said....I wasn't the first.Good luck. Try Next year or 2 years. Nikon Knows they have Issues. the west coast Rep Is a Best Friend. we were worried Nikon was In trouble all through 2017/2018

Last edited:
I wanted to love the Z's even to the point where I called the store and had them put it aside for me. But once I got there and handled it for awhile I just didn't like the feel and looking through the EVF made me a little seasick. So I walked out with the D850. My thought was Z6 with a 24-70 would be good for halftime award ceremonies or press conferences, something with a nice small form factor to carry instead of a second full body. Also non sport freelance assignments and Prom shoots. Shooting mostly sports I always have my D4s on my right and D3s on my left so I really wanted a small form factor so I didn't have to carry a second full size body. I'm not getting any younger lol But I really hate being the guinea pig, lets see what the second generation brings lol

I wanted to love the Z's even to the point where I called the store and had them put it aside for me. But once I got there and handled it for awhile I just didn't like the feel and looking through the EVF made me a little seasick. So I walked out with the D850. My thought was Z6 with a 24-70 would be good for halftime award ceremonies or press conferences, something with a nice small form factor to carry instead of a second full body. Also non sport freelance assignments and Prom shoots. Shooting mostly sports I always have my D4s on my right and D3s on my left so I really wanted a small form factor so I didn't have to carry a second full size body. I'm not getting any younger lol But I really hate being the guinea pig, lets see what the second generation brings lol

I would have said go to micro 4/3, to reduce carry weight. But from my experience, it isn't there yet.
I started the switch from DX to m4/3, to reduce the carry weight, but I did not complete the switch.
I found that m4/3 is still not up to dSLR for fast sport photography. I tried HARD to make it work, but I could not. So I still shoot my D7200 for fast sports. m4/3 for everything else.

Even the 850 feels a little small in my hand, the big pro bodies are just so comfortable to shoot with. When I held that Z body in my hand it felt soooooo small.

Even the 850 feels a little small in my hand, the big pro bodies are just so comfortable to shoot with. When I held that Z body in my hand it felt soooooo small.
I felt the same way, I found it small and angular, not substantial and curved like a DSLR.

Most reactions

Back