The new Nikon Z-Mount Cameras- who is in?

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by Peeb, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    OP is now edited to add this link: Nikon strikes back at Sony with first full-frame mirrorless cameras

I would have preferred 2 card slots, and it appears that the adapter may cost extra (?), which would be disappointing. Other than that, the Z6 looks just about spot-on perfect if it performs according to the published specs.

Really impressed, so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nikon has left their entry into this market too late.

3. PropilotBW

PropilotBW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I don’t think so. I think there will be a lot of interest. DSLRs will eventually become a thing of the past. They’re only planning for the future of mirrorless technology to replace what they have. I think it’s a good move.

4. Tim Tucker 2

Tim Tucker 2 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The biggest problem with SLRs is the compromise in lens design.

The biggest problem with the Z mount is that the lenses haven't been developed yet.

As to the rest of it, if my D600 packs up I will certainly move to a higher res sensor, and I will certainly move to a Z7 simply because of the promise of far less compromised lens design.

The rest of the bells and whistles don't interest me in the slightest. To me they are simply layers of automation, technical solutions. And as technical solutions are prone to do, they provide technical solutions and not creative ones.

An example, all this high ISO photography and AF modes. It used to be with the restrictions of film that low light photography produced all sorts of problems that resulted in odd effects and the imaginative use of such could lead to some very creative images. Now we can take the same image as we do in daylight and the tendency is for us to do so. The failings of film are seen as failings to be avoided and the digital image of *high IQ/capture the best information/add imagination by way of automated algorithms later* is the goal in all situations. And if we start with similar images we nearly always end up with similar end results...

Really are cameras are being automated to take photos with the same reference of *desired output* for all situations in auto modes, to produce similar photos in all situations, (look what happens these days, when we compare cameras we specify that we use *equivalent* photos, they must be the same for it to be a valid comparison. But all we're doing is comparing image IQ, I don't think anybody sees the actual images they're taking when we compare cameras anymore...).

This is a bit of a loss for photography, and probably why quite a few are turning back to film these days.

I don't mind if the camera's locked in aperture priority/base ISO, as long as I can turn the AF off I'll be happy.

P.s. As far as the EVF/OVF argument goes, we're human, experts at adapting. So I'll adapt... Besides the cameras that I've used that give the most accurate preview of the finished 2D image are LF because of the size of the glass screen. All OVF cameras fail to show clearly the distortion of perspective/distance that you see in a finished image, especially when using UWA lenses...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, definitely.
    But with camera's it's never too late. Now it's up to the marketing machine to make it successful.
    Of course, they still have to fill in the lower aspect of the line of mirrorless cameras all the way down to the $350 APS-C kit line.

I do think it's very interesting how they went to In-Body image stabilization.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'm sure Sony will come out with their 100th version of the A7 in a week or two. On a side note, the ergonomics of the Nikon look way better than Sony. When I was looking to buy the Fuji system, I held the A7 and I immediately knew it wasn't for me. Same thing with the fuji XT20. That's another thing important to me, how does it fit in my hands.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. coastalconn

coastalconn Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Has anyone seen buffer specs on Z6 yet. I'm certainly intrigued. I really hate how small it is though. Balance will be crappy with my 500 F4 and 300 f2.8... Wondering what real world battery life will be also...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    battery life is like 350 images. only one card slot, that really stinks. Personally, if I were you, I would physically look at the mount on the camera. Big heavy glass can be a scary thing (for me anyway) on a mirrorless body. 9 FPS on the Z7 and 12 on the Z6. I am ultra careful handling my XT2 and the 100-400. I may be a little over cautious but it us better to be careful IMO.

9. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I haven’t seen any buffer specs, but I’m watching closely.

I haven’t even seen a price for the z7 yet.

10. zulu42

zulu42 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    $3396.95 body only or 3996.95 with the 24-70 f/4

• Like Like x 1
  11. zulu42

zulu42 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    z6 $1996.95 or $2596.95
    per Adorama advert

• Like Like x 1
  12. coastalconn

coastalconn Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Well the Z7 appears to be crippled with buffer. 23 in 12 bit and 18 in 14 bit. Also drops to 5.5 FPS with AF and AE. So that certainly is no D850 replacement.. They are hiding the buffer for some reason on the Z6...