The new Nikon Z-Mount Cameras- who is in?

Has anyone seen buffer specs on Z6 yet. I'm certainly intrigued. I really hate how small it is though. Balance will be crappy with my 500 F4 and 300 f2.8... Wondering what real world battery life will be also...

Has anyone seen buffer specs on Z6 yet. I'm certainly intrigued. I really hate how small it is though. Balance will be crappy with my 500 F4 and 300 f2.8... Wondering what real world battery life will be also...

battery life is like 350 images. only one card slot, that really stinks. Personally, if I were you, I would physically look at the mount on the camera. Big heavy glass can be a scary thing (for me anyway) on a mirrorless body. 9 FPS on the Z7 and 12 on the Z6. I am ultra careful handling my XT2 and the 100-400. I may be a little over cautious but it us better to be careful IMO.

I haven’t seen any buffer specs, but I’m watching closely.

I haven’t even seen a price for the z7 yet.

z6 $1996.95 or $2596.95
per Adorama advert

Well the Z7 appears to be crippled with buffer. 23 in 12 bit and 18 in 14 bit. Also drops to 5.5 FPS with AF and AE. So that certainly is no D850 replacement.. They are hiding the buffer for some reason on the Z6...

I kinda want the Z7 for the IBIS

Only 1 card slot? That’s a deal breaker for me - not that I was in the hunt to begin with but just one card slot is what kept me from going with the cheaper XT20 when I moved to Fuji and it would stop me here as well. No redundancy so a failed card and your day of shooting is wasted? No option to shoot raw on one card and jpeg on another?

Only 1 card slot? That’s a deal breaker for me - not that I was in the hunt to begin with but just one card slot is what kept me from going with the cheaper XT20 when I moved to Fuji and it would stop me here as well. No redundancy so a failed card and your day of shooting is wasted? No option to shoot raw on one card and jpeg on another?

This. This is the biggest problem with it. It's supposed to be a professional body and they crippled it.

Part of me thinks that it has to be because they're going to announce a higher end more professional body and they're reserving the dual card slots for that camera body. But on the other hand, at $3400 for the Z7, how much higher end can they realistically go in the current MILC market?

I'm definitely confused.

This. This is the biggest problem with it. It's supposed to be a professional body and they crippled it.

Part of me thinks that it has to be because they're going to announce a higher end more professional body and they're reserving the dual card slots for that camera body. But on the other hand, at $3400 for the Z7, how much higher end can they realistically go in the current MILC market?

I'm definitely confused.

D6? That would be higher end, but it couldn't be a D and Z6 is already taken I actually don't care about the single card slot. I only keep an XQD in my D500 anyways.. This missing buffer specs on the Z6 sure have me bewildered though..

I'm definitely confused.

D6? That would be higher end, but it couldn't be a D and Z6 is already taken I actually don't care about the single card slot. I only keep an XQD in my D500 anyways.. This missing buffer specs on the Z6 sure have me bewildered though..

Maybe it's an oversight? The Z6 seems an awful lot like the MILC version of the D500. If it has a small buffer I'll be SHOCKED because there is no reason for it to.

I'm still sitting here trying to figure out if I want a D850 or a Z7.

I understand your concerns, but as I posted on another forum I also don't understand. Pro's won't buy this initial release:

"Now who will buy this, pros? I can't see pros dumping their D850s, D5s and D750s so they can use their existing lenses through an adaptor. There's no gain, no advantage in the finished image, not until the new lenses are developed. Ones now free of the restrictions that have probably hampered any further real gain in the F mount."

Nikon can and will design a *Z* with two card slots, but it might've been deemed an unnecessary expense for a camera aimed initially at hobbyists with a target release price.

But here is my other response posted elsewhere, (and not aimed at anybody here so to be taken as general comment):

"So lets understand revolutionary. Can you tell from an image if the camera has a frame rate of 5fps or 8fps? Can you tell if it has a mirror or not?

If it has one card slot or two?

So if the images are the same then how is it revolutionary?

A lot of questions, and a few more.

Do you understand what the Z mount means? 55mm diameter and no mirror. This removes a *LOT* of restrictions on lens design.

So the final two questions...

Given that if Nikon fulfil the opportunity to realise the potential of the new mount, (which they probably will), and the specs of the new lenses exceed anything that they currently have on the market, just how much research and development do you think they will put into the F mount, and consequently DSLRs in general?

Final question...

Do you still not think this is revolutionary, or are you still looking at the specs for the automated features and the number of card slots in the initial release?

Bravo Nikon for making a bold move
."

Again the tone was not aimed at yourself. Basically they've dumped the need for compatibility with lenses they no longer support and will soon reduce in number as they slowly die (but not legacy MF). It is this, the F mount, that restricts development. The old MF will still work as will the current lens line up, but how relevant will they become when compared to lenses designed with a 55mm mount and no mirror?

Also, although my camera has two slots I've only ever used one card in the 6 years I've had it. I've never had a problem. It's a pro concern not a hobbyist's one. ;-)

Last edited:
Not me. Not now. Later when the prices drop big time for used, maybe then. Still love my D800 and it's two card slots.

If I go for one (probably a D6) it won't be until Christmas 19. By that time any bugs should have surfaced and should be corrected.

Most reactions

Back