The Next Level...

essentials

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.element.gs
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I really want to take my photography to the next level but I feel like I'm just not understanding something... perhaps I missed the memo the day when they covered how to be awesome at photography... I just feel like my photos are lacking in some way shape or form...

I have my gallery setup on 500px here and if you look at a few of the photos, primarily, this one and this one, you should see what I'm talking about...

The actual sunset was perfect that evening and the colors in the sky were fairly close to the actual representation in the pictures, was soooo red which was great... I felt like I took the pictures well all in all I don't feel that I really neglected anything overall.... but the pictures still look very "rough" to me. Not sharp.. not in focus... nothing. I don't know how to explain what I'm seeing but I know they just look like crap as compared to a lot of the other photographers I see on 500px with equivalent gear.

I JUST bought my new lens, the Nikon 12-24mm, and I took those using a tripod with live view and a remote to trigger... I have a D3200 which I suppose isn't the best camera but it shouldn't be taking pictures like this should it? Is it just a crappy camera? I'm of the opinion that the gear isn't the problem and that I'm the problem... I just feel like my pictures just aren't as sharp or clear as I want. I just don't feel they are as good as they should be... Something is missing..

I know this is more or less a broad spectrum question rather than a targeted specific question and I realize that it will be difficult to solve my problem but I'm hoping that someone will be able to spot something or mention something that will spark a sudden realization that I have something set wrong on my camera, or that I'm not using lightroom properly... or something...

Incidentals: Nikon D3200 with a Nikon 12-24mm lens. No filters used yet... I used the Kenrockwell.com D3200 settings guide to adjust my camera from the default settings. Photos were taken with aperture priority at F22. As mentioned above, tripod, remote trigger, live view. Edited the photos in Lightroom. Raw format, 6000x4000.. I can't think of anything else at this point.

I can upload the full versions of any of these photos should anyone request. I'm just traveling at the moment and don't have access to my computer... I just really don't want to take any more pictures if they're all going to come out like this... if I have to buy a new camera tonight, I'll do it... new filters, I'll do it... just tell me please. :) Hoping it's just something in the settings, or something with my focus, or something simple I'm missing.... hoping.

Thank you for any assistance. Much appreciated.

Hello,

I looked through your images and really enjoyed what's there. I understand you want more.

I am also using the Nikon d3200 and so far I like it. It's certainly possible that you are ready for full frame, but I would say that if you're like me you want to keep learning.

I don't know if I can make any good suggestions because I'm new to photography. I am a part of another hobby where from time to time we must get back to the basics to ensure we are up-keeping our skills properly. So, maybe a class or a few books to push you through. Lots and lots of good books available that will cover your style. Maybe a class from another photographer who you like? I like learning from those who I consider good at what I want to do. I found a local club that meets twice a month and they will critique and grade the images and that has really helped me a lot. If there's not a good club or if that doesn't interest you maybe you could find someone in your area that you consider good at this and buddy up for more learning and growing.

I enjoyed your images so I hope you're having fun out there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back