The Pact

I personally try to comment as much as I can, unless I think the commentary would require SO much of my time as to almost not be worth it. (in other words, if it's REALLY far off the mark IMO) I try to keep the comments constructive and I try very hard to offer something more substantive than "it sucks" or "I like it!".

But then, I wrote the pact, so really my commenting on the thread in this way is almost completely useless.

In other words, "Hey Chris, your comment sucks!"

:lol:

I personally try to comment as much as I can, unless I think the commentary would require SO much of my time as to almost not be worth it. (in other words, if it's REALLY far off the mark IMO) I try to keep the comments constructive and I try very hard to offer something more substantive than "it sucks" or "I like it!".

But then, I wrote the pact, so really my commenting on the thread in this way is almost completely useless.

In other words, "Hey Chris, your comment sucks!"

I dont like the way you treated him!! I m going to report you!

This post is for the comments of people starting fights over critiques.
There should be no arguing over a critique...after all what is a critique? It is an individuals opinion on a specific aspect. If I critique a photo and state "it seems alittle over exposed". That is my opinion based on what I like in a photo...arguing with that statement would be just as foolish as arguing with the fact that I don't like the taste of cooked cabbage.
We should not even worry about other peoples critiques other than not repeating what has been said over and over. The post is to critique the photo(s) of the OP, not to critique other peoples opinions. To me that is where the problem really is. People who just have to comment to prove their superior knowledge and greatness over others.

I'm not crazy about clicks [wrong spelling I know] either and to me, this pact, will be yet another offset group that is going to draw fire from many others on the forum. ;)

so sorry... with all due respect, while the guidelines are practical the pact is not. the people who will sign and agree to follow are the ones who would follow it without having read it. as it stands the problem is no closer to a solution because those who don't care... don't care. what's more, as mentioned above, it is something that will draw fire like that given by onion early in this thread. i also agree about the personal "send me your stuff to be critiqued by me" threads. this is pointless because it's what the forum is for in the first place. if you want to critique... go do it on normal threads. all this does is further factionize the forum and fuel egos.

calling people on offensive posts... productive
giving insightful comments... productive
giving encouragement... productive
trying to impose guidelines for expressing opinions on a GLOBAL INTERNET FORUM... futile.

(by the way, i like this smiley, i think more people should use it hahahahaaa)
:soapbox:

and maybe this one too, hehe...
:addpics:
hahahahaaa! smilies make everything happy!
more pics less talk!

^^^ It's awfully easy to criticize an attempt to make something better without proposing a constructive alternative, isn't it?

^^^ It's awfully easy to criticize an attempt to make something better without proposing a constructive alternative, isn't it?

i do appreciate the attempt, however it's the same pattern that has been attempted through several thousand years of human history, most notably and prolifically since the introduction of the court system. a social problem is seen, and the reaction is to impose detailed guidelines on proper behaviour. unfortunately this means fails to address the underlying social issues. it's a band aid. secondly as mentioned previously in the case of the pact, it's a band aid that has been placed on the thumb when the toe is where the bleeding is. societies have never really adressed social issues, they just refine laws to cover more detailed scenerios (ie the pact's bold type revisions). the fundemental issue of people lacking decency and good sense remains at large and largely untouched. the soloution is not one that can be implemented by voluntary signing to a code of conduct. if it was there would be no crime in the world, and no debate as to the practicality of the pact. the only way that people who want those guidelines to be followed by all will get their way is for it to be included as part of the sign up procedure, then strictly enforced. but since this is an open forum, it's rather difficult to start restricting opinions. you start doing that and you have the reaction of earlier last year when there was complaining by some who felt the some mods were playing favourites (im not comenting on wether or not this was so,or correct, simply outlining the problems that arise with strict enforcement and the hurt feelings that invariably ensue). the only way to have an open forum that doesn't feel autocratic is to exercise patience and concern one's self with one's own comments. creating political movements rarely creates peace, only more divisions. in the end you end up with the same issues wearing a slightly different face. in the end, everyone has to be their own filter and solve the problems on the true battleground... their own mind.

having said all this, i must admit, this thread has at least been very entertaining. perhaps we should start a new forum. "broad spectrum intellectual/philosophical (depending on your inclination) discussion" no photo's allowed. could be fun!

^^^ no doubt, but...

1. There won't ever be any actual level of enforcement here.
2. It's hard to really pick what to enforce anyway, without getting into some foolish police state.
3. Therefore, there's no real way to fix the toe.

So, overall, the best anyone can do is hope to raise some kind of awareness... well, and hope that I'm raising awareness to the "right thing" or a "message that makes sense".

When given the option of choosing between doing nothing and doing something that is nearly hopeless but MAY make a tiny impact... I'll choose the latter.

Don't you just wanna take me home and cuddle?!?!??! :)

fine, fine...

I Recommend no helping people with 1 post who have came asking "wut camera do i buy" or any others that relate to it...
the only reply to a "1 poster" should be critique on their images or help on what iso, aperture etc.. is but dont help those that are obviously leeching and are gunna just post once, take our advice then run away

I somewhat disagree - we all start somewhere with our photography and a key starting point is getting the right camera. And of course one thing to do when you have little to no idea of a subject or area is to go right out and find people in that interest and ask them - shopkeepers, clubs, friends and forums all serve this use and its foolish to turn away newblood like that.

Sure many might just make one post and never appear again, others might make one decent thread and then slink away - and some others are going to be gratefull at the help and decide to stick around. Sure they won't answer many questions and will ask all the horrid "What is exposure/Ohh filters or not/etc..." We all do when we are new - we learn, we grow and we oneday are no longer in those beginner shoes.

We can't expect new people to have a reputation with us, a long postcount and many years experience every time - TPF is here for all levels from beginner amateur through to experienced Pro.

*edit* heck my early posts were all like that --- asking questions all over the place -- even kit questions!
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...1428-canon-70-200mm-f2-8-canon-100-400mm.html

I agree a 100%. I asked questions like "What is RAW?" and "OMG! This pic I t00k is SOO AWESOME"! Then, as I become more advanced, I stopped asking those questions and stopped thinking my photos were gifts of god. It's a learning process.

Crap...this is the first time I've ever read this page. Can I get a pass on this?

Anyone who acts shoddily on this forum is a detriment to this community. I will take it upon myself to make polite comments to those people and (in extreme cases) report them to the moderators if appropriate.

^^^ a pass? :lol: A pass on what? You don't want to make polite comments?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back