The Pact

Good on y'all for giving this a go.:thumbup::thumbup: I honestly hope it works out.
The management and whoever else must bend tho. It has been proven by the number of threads that keep popping up about attitudes,critique and so on, that people wish that TPF would improve. They just keep hoping these threads go away, and their lack of support shows how much interest they really have in fixing the issues. Believe me, Im all for the change, but it is going to take a small miracle for anyone to actually implement them here....but keep pushing...miracles happen
Good luck:D:D

I look at it as a good thing that management stays out of these things as much as possible. One thing that trips my trigger is overzealous policing of speech. If we're a community of adults, for the most part we should be able to take care of things ourselves. Which, for the most part, is to just ignore what you don't like. People's skins are too thin, and they are too willing to give up control to "management" ie.. "government".

Jerry, you had a few ideas that I think might even go well into the pact, such as trying to say "thanks!" though I suppose we have to draw the line somewhere, and being courteous might be a good place to start. :lol:

BTW, I've received a couple PMs asking me if its ok to put my pact sig in theirs- please feel free.

Also BTW... kundalini... :lol:

I look at it as a good thing that management stays out of these things as much as possible. One thing that trips my trigger is overzealous policing of speech. If we're a community of adults, for the most part we should be able to take care of things ourselves. Which, for the most part, is to just ignore what you don't like. People's skins are too thin, and they are too willing to give up control to "management" ie.. "government".

My only issue with the change here, is....it could work, if they let those that care work with them. I have been a mod on 3 other forums. There are good things and bad things about being a mod. It can be good, when you see the efforts put forth are actually working. It can be bad, when those that feel the internet is just a place to be rude, and obnoxious come out, and the big red ban button is hit. I used to give 3 warnings. The first...a small....keep it clean "Please" warning....the second...keep it clean.....the third....sorry, strike three your out...you were warned. :lol::lol:
There are not enough people here with that authority. Yeah...they say, police yourselves, but it just ends up in fights, when somebody who is an Un-mod(sorry kinda like the undead:lmao:) comes out and challenges another member...backs get up...words are exchanged. Hell....it has happened in this thread. Have you seen a mod perk up? Nah.
Im not anti mod....believe me. I really dig the mods we have here, but there are not enough...that is my beef.

I have a tough skin and balls bigger then y;alls head , but I also dont like being e-mailed by somebody calling me a "satan worshipper", or being told my horror images offend them...or being told by somebody that a hobby photographer should only post in the "just for fun", or that Im a right wing activist, cause I shot a protest that did not agree with somebody. That pisses me off. Critique my photos...yeah...go nuts, but dont accuse me of being somebody Im not. :grumpy: So there you have a wee rant....:lol::lmao::lol:.

Anyways...I think I might just give up on this topic..... LIke I mentioned. I hope there is change, and I hope y'all can work out a plan. This use to be at the top of my favorites list, but now I only use it to keep the bottom from hitting the toolbar on my monitor. :lol:

Anyways...I think I might just give up on this topic..... LIke I mentioned. I hope there is change, and I hope y'all can work out a plan. This use to be at the top of my favorites list, but now I only use it to keep the bottom from hitting the toolbar on my monitor. :lol:

:lol: Thanks once again, I REALLY needed a laugh today!

>>words are exchanged. Hell....it has happened in this thread. Have you seen a mod perk up? Nah.
Im not anti mod....believe me. I really dig the mods we have here, but there are not enough...that is my beef.<<

You made my point about overzealous modding. You think that this thread needs moderation. Why ? I haven't seen anything in this thread even close to needing a moderator. Why can't people just be people without such great fear and need for governance ? So someone made some abrupt comments. Whoppde doo. What he said wasn't bad at all. It was a differing POV. The way he said it could have been better, but it wasn't. So who cares ? Certainly not me. Why do you ?

I have a tough skin and balls bigger then y;alls head , but I also dont like being e-mailed by somebody calling me a "satan worshipper", or being told my horror images offend them...or being told by somebody that a hobby photographer should only post in the "just for fun", or that Im a right wing activist, cause I shot a protest that did not agree with somebody. That pisses me off. Critique my photos...yeah...go nuts, but dont accuse me of being somebody Im not. :grumpy: So there you have a wee rant....:lol::lmao::lol:.

Now that's a whole different story. emailing you ? flat out repeated ad hominums, invoking my bosses father etc... Now you're talking another level entirely. :lol:

I have seen worse name calling, thats for sure. Mods are pretty much non existant here tho. In another thread, I mentioned....dead links...threads in wrong galleries, stuff like that. Stickies a few years old. The Interview with a mod place....half those "mods" are gone.
oh...sorry...back to this thread. I got caught up in my French fries and gravy.(or to be politically correct, so I dont get another message...sliced potatoes and gravy)
My main point is, this place needs some revamping, and some sort of organization, people in place to keep small things in line. Maybe cause I have seen other forums run that way, I figure it could work here. I remember a time when the mods actually participated in the thread, posted pics and were part of the goings on.

As for my pms and e-mails. My mail boxes are always open to anyone who wants to talk photography, or ask any questions, whatever...even say hi. But my pictures are what I see, not what I believe.

Damn...I should be working. Gotta run. Bodies are piling up all over the place here. :er:

Okay - after asking Chris to give me a few more reasons why I should add the pact to my sig and mulling over his response -- I'm on board.

Now can someone Pleeeeze tell this old idiot how you embed the pact link into text?

- Click on the USERCP link at the top of the page
- on the left side click on EDIT SIGNATURE
- Enter the text you want in your sig (Not an equipment list, that is against forum rules ;) )
- highlight the words that you want to be a link

Click on the LINK button... look below:
3660908806_86640a4bb4_o.jpg

Enter the link which is
www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photographic-discussions/169089-pact.html#post1633751

- Click on OK
- Click on SAVE SIGNATURE

That's it.

Last edited:
I have seen worse name calling, thats for sure. Mods are pretty much non existant here tho. In another thread, I mentioned....dead links...threads in wrong galleries, stuff like that. Stickies a few years old. The Interview with a mod place....half those "mods" are gone.
oh...sorry...back to this thread. I got caught up in my French fries and gravy.(or to be politically correct, so I dont get another message...sliced potatoes and gravy)
My main point is, this place needs some revamping, and some sort of organization, people in place to keep small things in line. Maybe cause I have seen other forums run that way, I figure it could work here. I remember a time when the mods actually participated in the thread, posted pics and were part of the goings on.

As for my pms and e-mails. My mail boxes are always open to anyone who wants to talk photography, or ask any questions, whatever...even say hi. But my pictures are what I see, not what I believe.

Damn...I should be working. Gotta run. Bodies are piling up all over the place here. :er:

Ha. You're funny man. hehe.
Yea I remember those times. For a while I was a mod on a very active political disussion forum. And back then we did post a lot. Talk about a balancing act. fugedaboudit. The owner of the delphi forums was always monitoring the forums and threatening to lower the status of forums, close them down etc... But the level of crap that went on there makes this place look like a nunnery !!

Yea I remember those times. For a while I was a mod on a very active political disussion forum. And back then we did post a lot. Talk about a balancing act. fugedaboudit. The owner of the delphi forums was always monitoring the forums and threatening to lower the status of forums, close them down etc... But the level of crap that went on there makes this place look like a nunnery !!
I was also a mod on a halloween forum. :lol: People think the noobs are bad here. You have no idea how many threads are started...."so, Im doing my first home haunt...where do I start"....or...."Im building my first gravestone..what type of foam do I get"
Many did not see, or chose to ignore the..."How to start a home haunt"....or the "Prop Building" tutorials. :er: And there are even pictures too, with fancy diagrams. All they need is a printer. :lol:
Then....there are the do gooders who come on, and say how evil we are to do such a bad thing by scarying people. Um....uh....alrighty then:confused:....I wont go into details, but...you get the point. :lol::lmao::lol:
BTW....this is not a political forum, so please keep your political thoughts to yourself.......Kidddding.....laugh with me.:lmao::lol::lmao:you said the word political.

This isn't intended to be one of those point and counter-point things, but it was the easiest way to provide an update

Mods are pretty much non existant here tho.

I'd agree that we seem to be less present than say a year back, but that doesn't mean we're not around, neither does it mean that we are not addressing things when they get reported.

In another thread, I mentioned....dead links...

Unfortunately, the internet is full of dead links. Whatever time the mods do spend on here is not spent trawling the threads for stuff to edit out - it's really not a practical proposition.

threads in wrong galleries, stuff like that.

Report it

Stickies a few years old.

I've weeded those out already. Things should be tidier now, if not, let me know.

The Interview with a mod place....half those "mods" are gone.

Good point. I've requested that it be closed down, but it's not something I can do myself.

As to the Critique Forum, I don't think that's due back here any time soon. Whilst it pre-dates my slightly elevated status on TPF, I seem to recall it wasn't the most edifying spectacle and was justifiably canned.

I'll go back to something I've said before though, if you think there is a problem, then either report it or use the feedback forum.

Thank you for replying Chris. Please dont think Im attacking you, or the other mods....just trying to get you help. I have been a mod, and know what you are up against...it is not an easy job. Sure it can have its rewards, what little there are to offer, but sometimes the BS, does not help with that. You and the others can only do what is handed to you. I also said before...it starts at the top, and the top does not want to see any change.
I personally appreciate what you all do.

Anyways...this will be my last post for a while. Im going to take a break from TPF for a little bit. I feel it is time to slide back into obscurity, silence my voice, and let things take its course here.

Take care my friends. Be safe...k?:headbang:

I was also a mod on a halloween forum. :lol: People think the noobs are bad here. You have no idea how many threads are started...."so, Im doing my first home haunt...where do I start"....or...."Im building my first gravestone..what type of foam do I get"
Many did not see, or chose to ignore the..."How to start a home haunt"....or the "Prop Building" tutorials. :er: And there are even pictures too, with fancy diagrams. All they need is a printer. :lol:
Then....there are the do gooders who come on, and say how evil we are to do such a bad thing by scarying people. Um....uh....alrighty then:confused:....I wont go into details, but...you get the point. :lol::lmao::lol:
BTW....this is not a political forum, so please keep your political thoughts to yourself.......Kidddding.....laugh with me.:lmao::lol::lmao:you said the word political.

Yea, I didn't realize that I was delving into the political arena when I made a comparison between exessive moderation of speech on forums and overbearing govt. My bad . :er::D

Heck, being a mod in about any forum is often tough... been there and done that too several times and still am a mod in a couple other forums. But I think that I am lucky from the perspective that the mods/owners that I am with, are very unified and directed with clear goals and very well layed out lines of conduct. This is not something that you see everywhere.

You've got a new supporter :D. Now we just need a sticky to remind people to read stickies :p

Most reactions

Back