The Posed Rose

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Mom wanted a picture of the rose dad bought her, so I photographed it for her. Thoughts?

Edit: I forgot to add that the "pinch" or "side" lighting I used left a shadow on the vase, and I didn't have a reflector handy. I liked the light on the flowers, so I left it as is. But I DO realize it's there, and not ideal.

The Posed Rose by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Vitality by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Best,
Jake

Nothing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I know that my mom would be absolutely thrilled by these shots.

Any comments on the photo itself?

Nice photo but I agree with you on the lighting, it would look much nicer without the shadow on the L. I don't know how well it would work but couldn't you have used a piece of kitchen foil as a makeshift reflector?

Nice photo but I agree with you on the lighting, it would look much nicer without the shadow on the L. I don't know how well it would work but couldn't you have used a piece of kitchen foil as a makeshift reflector?

I definitely could have. The lack of reflector was really a cover for my foolishly not realizing it until I had put everything away. I definitely could have fashioned an appropriate reflector in a few seconds.

Best,
Jake

Moms love anything their children give them. I could take a photo with and leave the lens cap on and my mom would love it.

As for the photo, the lighting is quite harsh, softer light would be nice.

Moms love anything their children give them. I could take a photo with and leave the lens cap on and my mom would love it.

Could you elaborate on how the light is too harsh? Both SB600's were in umbrellas. The one camera right was in a silver reflective, and the one camera left was in a white shoot through, both within a foot of the subject. I angled them so to allow for a nice side lighting to provide shadows and definition to the flower. Personally, I think a softer light would have made the photo duller, but to each his own. But, had I brought up the fill light in front, maybe the shadows wouldn't be so harsh.

Best,
Jake

And YOUR mom probably is too, Jake. Not too shabby, really.

While she may be, and is, I'd love to keep improving and have more than just my mother enjoy my images, haha.

Best,
Jake

Take a large version of the file to any decent kiosk machine (at Walgreens, or RiteAid, wherever) and have an 8x enlargement made of the one with the flower in the vase. I just looked at it in Original size on Flickr. It will print well. Make it into a print. See what it looks like as a print. Give it to your mom.

Take a large version of the file to any decent kiosk machine (at Walgreens, or RiteAid, wherever) and have an 8x enlargement made of the one with the flower in the vase. I just looked at it in Original size on Flickr. It will print well. Make it into a print. See what it looks like as a print. Give it to your mom.

She really just wanted to post it to Facebook, haha. There's plenty of my prints hanging around our house. 👍

Best,
Jake

Could you elaborate on how the light is too harsh? Both SB600's were in umbrellas. The one camera right was in a silver reflective, and the one camera left was in a white shoot through, both within a foot of the subject. I angled them so to allow for a nice side lighting to provide shadows and definition to the flower. Personally, I think a softer light would have made the photo duller, but to each his own. But, had I brought up the fill light in front, maybe the shadows wouldn't be so harsh.

Now that I look at a image bigger then the small thumb nail my iPad first showed me the light is not as harsh as I first thought it was.

Now that I look at a image bigger then the small thumb nail my iPad first showed me the light is not as harsh as I first thought it was.

Thumbnails can be so misleading sometimes.

Happy Sunday!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back