The Thinker

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Trying out a new idea for some senior photos taken outside, using selective desaturation. Trying to achieve a little bit of gritty feel, but not be overbearing. Just a quick edit to try it out, needs some more work, but any thoughts on the direction before I go to deep?

Carson outside20201018_3520.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

I like it. It's definitely a little gritty, so you achieved that. I like the fact it isn't the typical vibrant senior portrait. Outta the box can be outta the park;)

Thanks @Dean_Gretsch out of a couple hundred shots for the day studio/outside, I've got a lot to choose from, just trying to add a little variety to the mix.

I quite like this. It's processed well I think and this reflects the perceived mood of the subject. I might have got rid of the thing stuck to the outside of the upright. I was looking at it wondering what it was (looks like a leaf) instead of concentration on the subject.

Nice, I like the idea and the execution here is pretty good. I think the background is a little too desaturated here, I tend to prefer leaving a little hint of colour in. The other thing I'd suggest is adding a little bit of noise in PP, just to take the smooth edge off, a bit of barely noticable noise can really add to that feel IMO

Last edited:
I quite like this. It's processed well I think and this reflects the perceived mood of the subject. I might have got rid of the thing stuck to the outside of the upright. I was looking at it wondering what it was (looks like a leaf) instead of concentration on the subject.

Thanks!!!!!!! Classic case of tunnel vision, never saw that leaf till you mentioned it, now I can't unsee it. It shall be banished to the wind!

Nice, I like the idea and the execution here is pretty good. I think the background is a little too desaturated here, I tend to prefer leaving a little hint of colour in. The other thing I'd suggest is adding a little bit of noise in PP, just to yake the smooth edge off, a bit of barely noticable noise can really add to that feel IMO

Thank you, I'm undecided on the background, and there are some limitations on a 5 min edit in LR. I sort of like the noise idea, and maybe a little tint in the background if it goes to PP.

Thank you, I'm undecided on the background, and there are some limitations on a 5 min edit in LR. I sort of like the noise idea, and maybe a little tint in the background if it goes to PP.

No problem, I read years ago it The Digital Negative by Jeff Shewe that he liked to add a bit of noise back in after using noise reduction, as it can make an image too smooth. Used very sparingly I agree

I really like the direction the second images is going. It could easily be complete right here.

As for the leaf.
This type of thing will get every photographer sooner or later. The job now is when you do a future shoot. Frame up, look at the person and ensure you have them where you want them......then ignore them and look around the rest of the frame to see if something else draws your attention.
This sounds like a simple enough task but as with most people your brain is focused on the goal of getting a great shot of the subject and it can take a bit to get your eye to recognize distractions when you're excited about a shot.
I find it easier to take two to three frames, then look in the back of camera to evaluate distractions.

Frame up, look at the person and ensure you have them where you want them......then ignore them and look around the rest of the frame to see if

But then you miss that one magical moment when the subject is totally unaware that you even exist. The time to get the shot is a mere fraction of a second.

Agreed the way I do it this is a risk. You could however keep them framed and as you shoot, keep looking once in a while for distractions.
There is no ONE way so if you find something that works, that's what you should do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back