ThePhotoForum should be on Instagram.

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by primefactor123, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Original katomi

Original katomi TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank square peg & snowbear, that has answered some concerns,

2. gk fotografie

gk fotografie hora lapsa non redibit Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    First of all I wonder who really thinks they have sufficient knowledge and experience to judge in a completely neutral way which photos are good enough to publish on Instagram, I'm sorry, but I think there's no one with such capacity on this forum, I believe too many people come to the TPF forum exclusively geared towards promotion for the greater honor and glory of themselves and not to seriously participate in the forum.

Secondly, the fact that everyone must give permission to use their photos on Instagram isn't at all watertight, because the selection of photos isn't automated (such as sending e-mails or notifications) but manual work and therefore with every selected photo the account of a TPF member must be consulted, a lot of work if you ask me, with a high chance that photos will end up on Instagram while members don't want this to happen. And when this happens, what can one do, harassing moderators with the request to delete the photos on Instagram? Nice!

BTW, what will happen when the responsible person for an Instagram account doesn't feel like it anymore, because it looks nice in the beginning, but afterwards turns out to be a lot of work? Bye bye account, probably.
    Oh well, just my 2 euro cents!

3. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with most of what you said except where you’re focusing on the unlikely event that the photos on Instagram would come from the forum itself when it is much more likely that they will already be posted by the artist to Instagram and tagged with the TPF hashtag.

4. gk fotografie

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No, nowhere is anything said about photos already on Instagram to be used on a possible TPF Instagram account, so it's not 'much more likely' because as a clear example it's said that the photos nominated for the POTM could serve as a guideline to be placed on Instagram. This means that photos from the TPF forum are directly copied on to such an Instagram TPF account. Nowhere does it say that only photos already on Instagram are selected for a TPF Instagram account, you probably misread or misunderstood!

It's therefore about photos that have a first publication on the TPF forum and permission has to be given by the maker. Using photos that are on the TPF forum to publish on Instagram without the author's permission is a copyright infringement.

5. Original katomi

Original katomi TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If post 40 is/becomes the case then I will have to decide if I am going to post any images
    So there is no mistake.I DO NOT WANT MY IMAGES ON INSTAGRAM.

6. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry that is just not how it works.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Fujidave

Fujidave Blue eyed and Beautiful

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For my jazz photography I opened up a IG account quite a while ago, it`s a fun thing to do as I use to hate IG but only because I did not understand how to use it. I signed up on the forums with my name, but on IG I signed up using my middle name and Dave.

8. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What is the name of the company that owns TPF? As Dan mentioned we don't know... do we?? Not that we need to know owners' personal info. but can we be told the name of the company that currently owns the site? TPF is just the site name isn't it? or is it?

I realized some time ago when the site was revamped (maybe when it was switched to XenForo?) that I noticed I didn't see any company/ownership name on here. I knew the site was started by a photographer who eventually sold it to someone who owns a number of hobby related sites. I remember I had found it listed as a foreign owned business in the state of Texas, but don't remember offhand how I found it and I'm not sure if that's correct or current.

I don't care for Instagram so I don't have any particular interest myself in TPF having an Instagram page. It does seem like more people are using it (at least for my other interests like quilting, embroidery, etc. it seems like people I follow on YouTube are more and more using Instagram too). I suppose it would be worth it for ownership to at least consider checking into and potentially managing an Instagram page.

• Like Like x 1
  9. snowbear

snowbear Oh, hai. I iz bear. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    It looks like the owner is ForumFoundry, Alamogordo, NM

10. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh! ForumFoundry sounds familiar now that you say that. I wonder if it used to be on the site somewhere. I got to thinking it seems like I found it listed as TPF as a registered business, but I'm not sure.

But I can't help but think, you're one of the mods, don't you guys all know? If not, no wonder it seems like nobody will say!

• Like Like x 1
  11. gk fotografie

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What do you mean with your remark "that is just not how it works" ?
    Obviously, you've not properly read the previous posts and even what you've written yourself.

See post #26 which states (and I quote): "Ideally whomever runs the account should be an active member who has interest in different genres of photography, and when this person sees quality shots posted to this site, they could also post those shots to the instagram account (with permission of course), with respective credits to the photographer. Posting the nominations to Photo of The Month would be a great start to finding standout shots for the IG account"

Also see post #35 where you yourself comment: "If TPF were taking photos from the website and putting them on Instagram that would require some type of permission"

There is indeed presetting to post photos from the TPF forum on an Instagram account if there would be one, so what do you mean by: "that's just not how it works"? It seems completely clear and exactly as I wrote it down!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  12. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit

You quoted only some of my post. What I am saying is, that is not how most Instagram feeds get their content. If you look at the myfujifilm or fstoppers Instagram feeds, for example, it is photos reposted that were originally posted on Instagram from Instagram users and tagged for myfujifilm or fstoppers to notice.

Really at this point this is a hypothetical argument and people are overly concerned about something that was merely a question by one member and a suggestion from another.

• Disagree Disagree x 1