Think I found my new favorite subjects!! Newborns! Advice/Reviews Appreciated.

AmberAtLoveAndInk

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.loveandinkphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I did my first newborn shoot and LOVED it! This thread has no real purpose other than for me to post up these cute little images and get some feedback/advice from experienced newborn photographers. I'm sure many will laugh but I'm pretty pleased with myself. Only one "mess" made throughout the entire thing and YES, I followed appropriate measures for safety in posing. One pose I really wanted to try, but couldn't get the baby in a deep enough sleep for, was the "froggy" pose. Any pointers on how to easily transition a baby into that pose? (This little one was 7 days old and weighed 5lbs!! She was sooo tiny!)

$preview1.jpg$preview2.jpg$preview5.jpg

I'm not a newborn photographer, but those are some really great shots.

Thank you!! After doing this session I'm seriously thinking about switching to strictly newborns and young infants, so much fun!

I went radical from wanting to shoot portraits to loving macro. I've found myself on all fours quite often the past few days. I can't shoot newborns. I hate kids. Everyone of them but mine :/

I don't photograph newborns but I like that the baby isn't in any awkward poses. It looks natural with head at a comfortable angle. These are great shots.

I don't photograph newborns but I like that the baby isn't in any awkward poses. It looks natural with head at a comfortable angle. These are great shots.

Thank you! As much as I love the creative poses people are coming up for newborns, I too believe the baby should be comfortable! Most of them were very natural only putting her in a few muted headbands and pretty wraps.

AAAAAwwwwwwwwwwwww . I love those pictures you did a really great job on them.

I think naturally occurring positions are best or those recommended to first time parents by health care professionals - glad to see you didn't put the baby in a froggy position. My field has been in child development w/birth to three and there are some videos etc. out there that seem to be using some inappropriate positioning.

From what I know newborns should be placed in a position with the head and neck in alignment and supported - I wouldn't put a baby in a position with the head propped up on the elbows at that young an age (even with someone's hand or fingers photoshopped out). I can't find much info. related to some of this, probably because I doubt that medical professionals would expect parents/families would be doing this kind of positioning.

I never worked with any families that used swaddling but if babies will be wrapped it should not be done tightly - to use techniques like that you need to know what you're doing and learn to do it properly (swaddling tightly in some cases can lead to hip dysplasia). And if you'd be handling and positioning someone's baby you'd be taking on the responsibility and liability. I think it would be better to use baby seats and blankets etc. that are designed to be used with babies.

I found a source recently which I'll try to remember to come back and post, it was on the CPSC.gov site, related to positioning and baby slings etc. and had no idea til I read it that if a baby has the chin down on the chest and isn't yet able to lift his/her head the baby could start to slowly suffocate within 1-2 minutes (I did have a family who prior to being in our program had lost a child who had suffocated in a sling). If you want to do baby photography please research some sites that have info. on what's appropriate care and positioning for a newborn.

Vintagesnaps: thank you for the advice and yes I agree the sling pose is too dangerous, I would never attempt a sling pose. I researched thoroughly for months upon shooting the baby while the mother was pregnant. I took a few webinars and went through countless pro-safety tutorials for posing. The first image with the basket was composed of two shots, each one with the mother placing a hand on either side of the infant. Although the froggy pose may be looked down upon I see no reason it can't be done safely with the right technique and a good amount of spotters, but only if the parents requested it like this mom did. The baby was not in a deep enough sleep and I was not comfortable with forcing the position. I myself have a child of my own and feel comfortable handling small babies. I plan on taking some hands on classes for better technique though.

Thank you!! After doing this session I'm seriously thinking about switching to strictly newborns and young infants, so much fun!

Oh ya, they are super cute and cuddly. Until they counter attack. What's worse, they have zero qualms about the use of biological warfare. None. You've been warned.. lol

My opinion on unnatural posing is that, even when taking safety precautions, they really are not good for the baby. The joints of newborns are very tender and, just because you can bend something a certain way while they are sleeping, does not mean it is safe. I know that a lot of photographers do it, and I'm not trying to be super harsh, but being in the medical field I have seen a lot of issues in infants from parents innocently doing much less contorted things than poses such as the "froggy pose".

From a photography standpoint, and this is likely just a style preference, but all of the unnatural posing seems very gimmicky to me. In 10 years I feel like people will look back and like "Why would you prop up a baby like that?"bI would think that a mother would much rather look back on images such as the ones you have presented and remember their sweet little baby in their natural, sweet, snuggly state. "I used to love when you were a week old and you would lay like a little frog when you slept" ... Said no mom, ever. Lol. I'm only joking, but that's just kind of my take on it.

Great shots of a gorgeous bubba!. The 2nd one is my fave although I think it would look quite good if you successfully cloned the blanket onto the left hand side to hide the basket and edge of basket. The 3rd one hasn't been edited? or if so very minimally... clean that skin up and give it a subtle dreamy look and BANG gorgeous!, also careful not to crop those beautiful little fingers out :) ... Personally the first one is my least favourite because there is too much going on, a plain backdrop and flooring and BANG stella image! :) I like the natural positions rather than the posed composite poses you see all too often these days. Nicely done. Window lighting?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back