Think I found my new favorite subjects!! Newborns! Advice/Reviews Appreciated.

I'm in the W.C. Fields camp when it comes to children. They're [generally] tolerable once they're old enough to vote.

Nice shots!! I'm doing my first Newborn shoot this week sometime. Waiting on the baby to be born.

These are very cute shots! My only nitpick would be to get your skin tones matched up.. the WB seems to be different in each image, mainly the 3rd.

My opinion on unnatural posing is that, even when taking safety precautions, they really are not good for the baby. The joints of newborns are very tender and, just because you can bend something a certain way while they are sleeping, does not mean it is safe. I know that a lot of photographers do it, and I'm not trying to be super harsh, but being in the medical field I have seen a lot of issues in infants from parents innocently doing much less contorted things than poses such as the "froggy pose".

From a photography standpoint, and this is likely just a style preference, but all of the unnatural posing seems very gimmicky to me. In 10 years I feel like people will look back and like "Why would you prop up a baby like that?"bI would think that a mother would much rather look back on images such as the ones you have presented and remember their sweet little baby in their natural, sweet, snuggly state. "I used to love when you were a week old and you would lay like a little frog when you slept" ... Said no mom, ever. Lol. I'm only joking, but that's just kind of my take on it.

I agree the overly posed newborns are not realistic by any means but it's today's trend and clients request to do "Pinterest themed" shots all the time. I try incorporate their wants along with my own style for a happy medium.

Great shots of a gorgeous bubba!. The 2nd one is my fave although I think it would look quite good if you successfully cloned the blanket onto the left hand side to hide the basket and edge of basket. The 3rd one hasn't been edited? or if so very minimally... clean that skin up and give it a subtle dreamy look and BANG gorgeous!, also careful not to crop those beautiful little fingers out :) ... Personally the first one is my least favourite because there is too much going on, a plain backdrop and flooring and BANG stella image! :) I like the natural positions rather than the posed composite poses you see all too often these days. Nicely done. Window lighting?

Yes window lighting and thank you!! I too wondered about cloning the blanket but wasn't sure how successfully I would be able to do that. The last image was edited but the baby had quite a bit of dry skin and acne so I didn't want to go too far with it and make her look waxy. And actually the mothers favorite pic of out all 25 was the first one that everyone dislikes for being too posed, but that's just a style preference.

These are very cute shots! My only nitpick would be to get your skin tones matched up.. the WB seems to be different in each image, mainly the 3rd.

I had a hard time getting the wb in each one to match up but I also used a few different presets in LR5. I couldn't decide which "dreamy" effect I liked more.

I think those unnatural baby poses are, quite frankly, demeaning to everyone involved...photographer included. it makes the baby look like a doll that someone wants to play with posing and dressing, not an actual human being deserving of some dignity. I am glad to see an infant photographer shooting tasteful baby photos. kudos. I am also very pleased to see an infant photographer actually shooting with a decent DOF instead of every shot being "wide open" with most of the baby OOF. :thumbup::thumbup:

my biggest nitpic with these is the skin tones. #3 looks a bit jaundiced, whereas #1 and #2 look more normal, and are better matched. I would try to dial #3 in to look like the others.

Other than that, I think this is a great set. #1 is the strongest, in my opinion. #3 would be my second favorite if you can fine tune the skin tones a bit.
having all the skin tones and WB matching would make this a fantastic set!

I think those unnatural baby poses are, quite frankly, demeaning to everyone involved...photographer included. it makes the baby look like a doll that someone wants to play with posing and dressing, not an actual human being deserving of some dignity. I am glad to see an infant photographer shooting tasteful baby photos. kudos. I am also very pleased to see an infant photographer actually shooting with a decent DOF instead of every shot being "wide open" with most of the baby OOF. :thumbup::thumbup:

my biggest nitpic with these is the skin tones. #3 looks a bit jaundiced, whereas #1 and #2 look more normal, and are better matched. I would try to dial #3 in to look like the others.

Other than that, I think this is a great set. #1 is the strongest, in my opinion. #3 would be my second favorite if you can fine tune the skin tones a bit.

Thank you! I actually like to shoot wide open as much as I can, but I'm working with an f/4 so really, how "wide" can I go? After many suggestions to match the third's wb I'll be taking it into LR for a second round to see what I can get. I guess the trouble is, what would I do to match it better? I've already taken down the saturation in the just the skin in this image and messed around with the overall tint. What do you suggest? I use both LR5 & PScs6

It should be an easy fix with either changing the white balance setting or adjusting the temperature slider (instead of the tint).

Edit: ^both in Lightroom

Last edited:
It should be an easy fix with either changing the white balance setting or adjusting the temperature slider (instead of the tint).

When I slide over the temp to the bluer side it brings out some ugly violet/red-pink tint to the skin :/

Are you starting with the original image? If you've already made temp adjustments, and then make it cooler, it may bring that out. Otherwise, you could maybe compensate by bringing down the magenta tone? I'm sure someone more experienced will chime in soon :)

Thank you! I actually like to shoot wide open as much as I can, but I'm working with an f/4 so really, how "wide" can I go? After many suggestions to match the third's wb I'll be taking it into LR for a second round to see what I can get. I guess the trouble is, what would I do to match it better? I've already taken down the saturation in the just the skin in this image and messed around with the overall tint. What do you suggest? I use both LR5 & PScs6

Good Lord NO....for Heavens sake..do NOT start doing the "shoot everything at f/1.8 or f/1.4 so the babys face and one hand is in focus and the ears, shoulder, and body are OOF." thing...

the DOF you have in these pictures are great! if you want the background to be OOF, drop your aperture juuuust enough to render the background OOF while keeping the subject IN focus. not just parts of your subject. you can also increase the distance of the baby from the background instead of shooting wide open. I would rather see an in focus background, than half an OOF baby.

as for WB...its hard to say without seeing the original file. honestly, I like the color on #1 and #2 better than I do on #3. 3 just looks a little too yellow to me.
i dont know what setup you used for lighting on these. it could have been from mixed lighting, yellow light bulbs, WB settings...

Most reactions

Back