Think im making progress CC

MWG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so i know i have been posting far to many threads without asking what im looking to get out of this.So for this, i apologize. My passion is shooting people, i have been getting my close friend to be my subject most of the time, so i will thank him for that. My biggest concern is getting the best possible picture out of the gear im using.PP is a nightmare for me, but im picking up on it slowly Im shooting a canon t1i with 2 tamron lenses most of the time. A 28-75 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8. I have 1 canon 580 ex II speedlight controlled via pocket wizards. I had a stand, but it already junked out on me, or atleast the flash bracket did. So i ordered a better bracket and a couple of reflectors to go with it. I just wanted to give ya'll the run down on what gear i have, so y'all can recommend trying a few different techniques. Area's i feel need work is basically everything, but exposure is what im working on as far as portraiture. I know i said my composition was lacking, but i really meant in landscape/cityscape shots. It's all new to me but anyways here are a few from yesterday. I feel i have grown alot since i joined this website, and i thank everyone that has helped.

071-1 by tfunit, on Flickr

I like this shot alot but the shadows are really bugging me, wish i had the reflector for this shot. I would have liked to seen his hand clearly. Shot at f/3.5 1/3200 iso 320. Shot in AP mode.

223-1 by tfunit, on Flickr

I really love this one. Rich tones. I chopped the top, but i did it for two reasons. The sun created a glare on the top of his head, and i really don't think it took away from the picture, but thats just me. shot at f/5 1/500 iso

056-1 by tfunit, on Flickr

This shot represents where he feels like he's at in life. Dude just had his 1st kid and is at the bottom of a long journey. shot at f 3.5 1/6000 iso 400

159-1 by tfunit, on Flickr

Was trying to give this a dark feel, might be underexposed, with just enough contrast to really make his tatoos pop. I think it works, imo. shot at f/22 1/125 iso 400

Anyways, thats it. Any help is greatly appreciated and wont be forgotten.

Last edited:
i like the third one... my eyes are really drawn to the reflections on his glasses

These are significantly better :)

Here are a few more i just finished editing, they could still be run through gimp though. I NEED TO LEARN GIMP.HELP. I will pay! lol jk

229-1-2 by tfunit, on Flickr

Last edited:
C&C per req:

1. Not bad at all; I agree that a little less shadow around his hand/arm would have helped, as would just a little detail in his hair. I think perhaps a crop of the RH side, and maybe go square on this one.

2. Very nice; I like the exposure and mood here, but watch for little things like the shadow on his throat caused by the dreadlock. I really like the fact that there's just a little detail in the hair, and the glow from the backlighting.

3. Watch your use of leading lines; you want them to lead the viewer's eye to the subject. In this case, the line (stairs/railing) start at the subject and lead the viewer's eye out of the image by the top, RH corner. I do very much like the mood and exposure however.

4. Hmmmm... not so fond of this one. I understand your intent here, but it's not really working for me. I think the problem is the bright highlight around his nose/forehead contrasting with the deep shadow of his hair and mouth/jaw area. Consider a reshoot where you focus solely on his arms.

5. Really nice; the best one so far IMO. Perfect expsoure on the hair, I like the flare; this one works.

6. I think this one just missed. I like the exposure on him, but it would be MUCH stronger if it were shot in portrait orientation, with the sun just a little higher

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

C&C per req:

1. Not bad at all; I agree that a little less shadow around his hand/arm would have helped, as would just a little detail in his hair. I think perhaps a crop of the RH side, and maybe go square on this one.

2. Very nice; I like the exposure and mood here, but watch for little things like the shadow on his throat caused by the dreadlock. I really like the fact that there's just a little detail in the hair, and the glow from the backlighting.

3. Watch your use of leading lines; you want them to lead the viewer's eye to the subject. In this case, the line (stairs/railing) start at the subject and lead the viewer's eye out of the image by the top, RH corner. I do very much like the mood and exposure however.

4. Hmmmm... not so fond of this one. I understand your intent here, but it's not really working for me. I think the problem is the bright highlight around his nose/forehead contrasting with the deep shadow of his hair and mouth/jaw area. Consider a reshoot where you focus solely on his arms.

5. Really nice; the best one so far IMO. Perfect expsoure on the hair, I like the flare; this one works.

6. I think this one just missed. I like the exposure on him, but it would be MUCH stronger if it were shot in portrait orientation, with the sun just a little higher

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

THANK YOU. Thats constructive critisism at its best lol

Thanks for all the tips you showed, again.
they will be used!

Last edited:
Here is another, last one im gonna post from this shoot...

250-1 by tfunit, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back