Thinking about building a computer

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Rockadile, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    What Mike said...

You want color accuracy consistancy over vibrancy and speed. Most TN panels have quicker response times compared to IPS, but move yourself one direction or an other and the brightness and color tones can shift. IPS monitors usually cost $200-$300 more than an equivalent sized TN. A 27" IPS display can run you over $700. I paid slightly over $1,000 for my 30", but it's touted for having better color accuracy than Apple's 30" once calibrated.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Aren't apple displays TN?

3. dwightdegroff

dwightdegroff TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Many good recommendations here. I'll add my 2 cents.

4 most important criterion for photo editing(imho): processor speed, RAM, storage, color accuracy. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Intel i5/i7 CPUs in terms of horsepower. Intel cranks out new models all the time... find one that is middle-of-the-pack and go for it. If you're going to be working with multiple hi-res images at once, having lots of RAM is important. I would say that 8 GB would be sufficient, but I certainly wouldn't go any lower. Ample, Redundant storage is important: I wouldn't get less than a 2 TB drive and I would recommend some sort of backup system(photographs are irreplaceable). It doesn't do any good to edit your photographs if the color you see on-screen doesn't reflect "reality". Find a way to calibrate your monitor.

More on storage: Currently there is massive flooding in Thailand, etc. that is causing Hard Drive prices to soar so this is really a terrible time to buy them and it's hard to know whether prices will be going further up or down in the near future. Unless you can wait a long time, buying the drives sooner rather than later would be a good idea.

GPU is not going to be as important as the other components... it certainly won't be the critical factor for image editing. Now, if you were do get into video, that would be another story.

Have fun building your system, it's one of my other hobbies. :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  4. Village Idiot

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No.

5. ChefCanon

ChefCanon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Airs / Older models use TN. Their new stuff is IPS. Apple's monitors have AMAZING color accuracy when calibrated. I will challenge this against almost any monitor. They have a very rich display

6. Ballistics

Ballistics Been spending a lot of time on here!

Wait until 2nd quarter of 2012, the prices of components have skyrocketed. I held out for a little while on a hard drive that was $120, 3 weeks later it is $199. And no it was not on sale. Apparently this due to some crazy floods in Asia.

7. Ballistics

My school has Macbook pro and iMacs, and Epson 4880 printers. I enjoy editing on the Macs, but the prints do not match the screen at all. They are all apparently calibrated with a tool and software. My 4 year old sceptre monitor is the closest representation I am yet to see. Every print I had from Mpix was spot on to my monitor.

8. ChefCanon

ChefCanon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Are they new imacs and pros ? It just sounds like the calibration is off or the color profile is not correct. Depends on the way they are printing them. etc etc.

9. Ballistics

I can only speculate, but they seem pretty new. According to the professors, each unit is calibrated down to the paper profile and each printer is designated for either glossy or matte.

10. TheFantasticG

TheFantasticG No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As I understood the way that AMD processors interacts with the graphics cards is that if it needs extra processing power, it'll go to the GPU for that. Can't exactly say where I read that but, then again I could be way off. I know I didn't go wrong with 16GB of DDR3 1800 RAM. The card I got does great for games. I know my rig now vs. my old rig is night and day. When using LR3 on my old rig, when initially loading a RAW 16MP 14 bit image it took from 5 to 10 seconds for "Loading..." to complete. On my new rig, it takes less than two seconds, period. Then again, I'm not a software engineer nor do I get balls deep into computers. I know enough to build a machine, but not enough to pretend to be an expert. I also use Spyder2express to color calibrate my screen.

11. Rockadile

Rockadile TPF Noob!

Right now I'm using a 21.5' HP 2210m monitor that I bought like 2yrs ago. I'm not too worried about color accuracy at the moment...started photographing in October this year. My pictures would most likely be seen on your average mobile/labtop/desktop screens and not printed.

The hard drive prices are ridiculous because of the flood as others stated. What bad timing.

I'm lost on how good the video card would have to be for editing pictures. I was thinking on skimping on this part since it didn't seem as important now compared to gaming.

Edit: Raising my budget to $1000~

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  12. Village Idiot

Photos NOT OK to edit

Shows in the spec that Apple's 27" ACD supports 16.7 million colors and Dell's 27" U2711 supports 1.07 billion colors. Apple's response time is 12ms vs. 6ms on the Dell. Most of Apple's displays use panels that you can find in displays from other manufacturers.

Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel) - Apple Store (U.S.)
    Dell UltraSharp U2711 69cm (27