Thinking about picking up the XT-2

I have used both the XT1 and XT2. I can tell you the XT2 is a significant upgrade. Focus speed is probably the most noticable out of the box, add a battery grip and it's not even in the same league. Shutter speed, joystick, grain simulations, and EC dial to name others. I love the joystick and it's critical for how I shoot.

That’s a great deal for a new Xt1 but I have a friend who went that route (got a great price on a used Xt1 instead of going for the Xt2) and she regrets not spending the extra money and getting the 2. It takes away some of her enjoyment of the Xt1 and she admitted that if she had it to do over again she’d spend the extra and buy the Xt2. For me it was tough to pay full price since I’m used to buying used gear but I’m glad I got the Xt2 and have no regrets.

Higher AF speed and frame rate aren't especially relevant to me. Shot a friend's X100F and couldn't see a consistent, shot-to-shot advantage over the X100T. It's the "streetability" of the X-T and X100 cameras that appeals to me. Have a D7200 kit that covers whatever the Fujis don't. Horses for courses, as usual. Think we're agreed, though, that Fuji optics are killer.

So I'm always keeping an eye out for good deals on used gear and of course started adding Fuji to my regular searches. Yesterday I scored the graphite edition XT-2, power grip, and a Kirk L-bracket all factory sealed, never used brand new with all paperwork and reciept for $1600.

The guy I bought it from stated he had bought it for his father as an upgrade to his XT-1 but unfortunately he passed away a few days later. I certainly felt bad for his loss but I really feel like I got a smokin deal. I had to drive about 3 hours round trip to get it but totally worth it. I didnt think I would like the graphite finish as much but now that I have it I do really like it!

Unfortunately I dont have any lenses for it yet which is killing me but It seem like Adorama may give me a pretty fair deal on my Canon 5DSr so if all goes well I should have some nice lenses soon.
I think I'm going to start with the 16-55mm f2.8 and the 10-24mm f4 and eventually will add the 55-200 and probably one or two primes.

Anyway I'm pretty stoked!

Sweet deal! The graphite edition huh? Look at you, you're a hipster. LOL.

Sweet deal! The graphite edition huh? Look at you, you're a hipster. LOL.

I know right?!?! Now all I need is a little leather body case and bag to go with it! Yeah Im just kidding not really into the leather accessories lol.

That's funny because I just ordered a very hipsterish leather camera bag for my XT2! Not my usual style but I wanted something that could pass as a big purse that didn't scream CAMERA. It was $30 off on Cyber Monday - and it matches my boots.

ONA | The Leather Bowery Camera Bag and Insert - Dark Truffle

So just a little update some of you may be interested in.

When I started this thread I mentioned my concerns with what I had read regarding Lightroom and Adobe in general not working all that great for processing the Fuji X-trans raf files. After messing around with some raw test shot in Lightroom it didnt seem to bad to me but I had no first hand basis for comparison. Also I will say I was certainly not disappointed in the image quality coming out of my xt2 but honestly I was not blown away as so many other YouTubers had stated.

I did some research on other raw processors which supposedly work much better for Fuji Raf files but really hated the idea of having to change up my work flow that much and use yet another piece of software. I came across the Iridient X Transformer plugin for Lightroom and it was exactly what I was looking for.

I'm sure some of you here are already well aware of this but basically this plugin just exports the the raw file out of lightroom into Iridient which does some magic based on several parameter options you provide, converts the file to a lossless compressed Adobe DNG format then re-imports the file to lightroom. I tested this plug in pretty extensively and initially was not impressed but once I found the right setting for me I was kind of stunned! The tweaked DNG files I am now pulling into Lightroom are significantly sharper and the DR is drastically improved. I am able to push this files way further and able to use additional sharpening techniques that dont render that weird wormy looking detail. In short the converted files are just way cleaner!

Now I know many of you love the JPGs SOOC on the Fuji and I agree they are fantastic so many of you may not care about this but for those of you that do what the most out of your raw files and still use Lightroom or Camera Raw this plugin is really fantastic!

Anyway Just thought id share my experience with some of you who may not have been in the know.

Last edited:
So just a little update some of you may be interested in.

When I started this thread I mentioned my concerns with what I had read regarding Lightroom and Adobe in general not working all that great for processing the Fuji X-trans raf files. After messing around with some raw test shot in Lightroom it didnt seem to bad to me but I had no first hand basis for comparison. Also I will say I was certainly not disappointed in the image quality coming out of my xt2 but honestly I was not blown away as so many other YouTubers had stated.

I did some research on other raw processors which supposedly work much better for Fuji Raf files but really hated the idea of having to change up my work flow that much and use yet another piece of software. I came across the Iridient X Transformer plugin for Lightroom and it was exactly what I was looking for.

I'm sure some of you here are already well aware of this but basically this plugin just exports the the raw file out of lightroom into Iridient which does some magic based on several parameter options you provide, converts the file to a lossless compressed Adobe DNG format then re-imports the file to lightroom. I tested this plug in pretty extensively and initially was not impressed but once I found the right setting for me I was kind of stunned! The tweaked DNG files I am now pulling into Lightroom are significantly sharper and the DR is drastically improved. I am able to push this files way further and able to use additional sharpening techniques that dont render that weird wormy looking detail. In short the converted files are just way cleaner!

Now I know many of you love the JPGs SOOC on the Fuji and I agree they are fantastic so many of you may not care about this but for those of you that do what the most out of your raw files and still use Lightroom or Camera Raw this plugin is really fantastic!

Anyway Just thought id share my experience with some of you who may not have been in the know.

That's good to hear. I personally use Silkypix now as I await the new Fuji software for windows, due in July. I don't have a workflow, mine has been more like shoot in raw, convert in camera to jpeg, call it day. The only time I bring something into Silkypix, is if it's got to be inspected closely.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back