Thinking ahead....

Fate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.davidhedgesphotography.carbonmade.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Next year im going to Peru on a sorta school trip thing for a month! And the fact of the matter is that i want to get the best possible shots. Im not going to ask what camera i should get as they will have advanced tenfold by next year :D
But i AM wondering what lenses i should buy. Im thinking along the lines of a zoom lens with a max focal length of about 400mm (for safari and animal shots) a prime wide angle lens for those stunning scenery shots. And maybe a macro lens...... to get up close and personal with some bugs lol.

Whatever you get, do get it long before your trip and use it enough to become thoroughly familiar with it. More shots are messed up by unfamiliarity with equipment than I would care to count.

I'm not sure where in Peru you are going to be, but keep the weather in mind. If it's going to be a super-humid area, you are probably going to want to go with a basic film camera without a lot of electronics.

I have been to Peru a couple of times. The first time I took a Nikon 8700 because it was small and easy to pack. The second time I took a D-70 with a 18-70 and an 80-200. I was shooting people and not wildlife so I didn't need the extra distance.

I'm leaving for Chile in a few days and will take an 80-400 along with the 18-70 but again I will be shooting people and not wildlife.

I will caution you, in Peru they steal cameras like crazy. Don't get yourself in a situation where you are by yourself. I sew wire in my straps so they can't be cut and if they grab it they will drag me along. I weigh 230 pounds so they won't drag for long.

Like torus says, get it now if you can and get used to using it.

If you go to North to Trujillo email me and I will put you in contact with friends who live there. Depending on the time you go I might be living there.

i say go for a prime 50mm 1.4 or 1.8
get soem magnifying filters for that to ge tthe efect of macro
its expensive but you can get a 80-400 zoom
or you could get a 70-200 sigama 2.8 zoom and a teliconverter
and if you can try a fish ey

Thanks guys. I dont think humidity will be a huge factor in it as im going to be up mountains half the time. But weather conditions are gona vary alot. Cold... possibly snowy on the top and hot... proberly humid on the bottom.

But im gona look into it further and take some time thinking about it all :)

fredcwdoc said:
I will caution you, in Peru they steal cameras like crazy. Don't get yourself in a situation where you are by yourself.

Thanks for that advice. I should be ok, i'll be with friends all the time and up mountains :) But i like the idea of sewing wire into the strap.... i may well do that!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back